• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

License

Burning Thunder

Howdy-

Forgive me for asking a stupid question, but I am EXTREMELY new to open carry.

I'm 18, and have loved guns all my life. Now...I know that you have to get a permit to concealed carry. Do I have to get a separate permit to open carry? Do I need a permit at all? Does a concealed carry permit cover both types of carries?

Thank you! (I know I am naive, but what can I do?!?!)

--BT

Ma}{imus

You MUST have a permit to open carry in Douglas County. There are several places that offer the class. If you have a CCW you can open carry in Douglas County without the open carry specific permit. Since you're not 21 though you won't be able to get a CCW unless you're active military.

Swyped from my LS670 using Tapatalk

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
You MUST have a permit to open carry in Douglas County. There are several places that offer the class. If you have a CCW you can open carry in Douglas County without the open carry specific permit. Since you're not 21 though you won't be able to get a CCW unless you're active military.

My understanding was that was in the city of Omaha, not Douglas County.

Ma}{imus

Could be. All of the local gun shops I've been to distinguish by county for handgun registration even though the requirement is technically Omaha city limits.

The wording for open carry is quite similar, so I'd play it safe on the boundaries but that's just me.

M-Taliesin

Since you're not 21 though you won't be able to get a CCW unless you're active military.

Howdy BT!
Yes, this is correct. You can't get a CCW to carry a handgun in America. You can carry one without a permit in Afghanistan or Iraq if you join the military, but not in America. You can be a well trained military marksman, but if you ain't 21, no way they'll give you a CCW permit in America. And even if you do join the military, you won't be allowed to carry a weapon on a military base in America. Them (ironically enough) are gun free zones except where designated for training purposes.

Bewildering, ain't it?

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Howdy BT!
Yes, this is correct. You can't get a CCW to carry a handgun in America. You can carry one without a permit in Afghanistan or Iraq if you join the military, but not in America. You can be a well trained military marksman, but if you ain't 21, no way they'll give you a CCW permit in America. And even if you do join the military, you won't be allowed to carry a weapon on a military base in America. Them (ironically enough) are gun free zones except where designated for training purposes.

Bewildering, ain't it?

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

In many states you can OC w/o a permit - many (most) under 21 yo.
http://www.opencarry.org/opencarry.html
http://www.opencarry.org/age.html

CC has more limitations, but even there the restrictions are not universal.

Don't be so glum - we are winning. :D

Ma}{imus

Howdy BT!

Bewildering, ain't it?

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

The only point I was trying to make was that the Omaha OC permit is waived if you have a CCW. Being 18 the OP will have to get a permit unless they qualify for a CCW in NE. I may not like it, but that's how it is here for now.