Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: Taking forever in Wisconsin!

  1. #1
    Regular Member CalicoJack10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Arbor Vitae
    Posts
    559

    Taking forever in Wisconsin!

    I don't know about the rest of you but there is a part of me that is holding my breath waiting for SB93 to pass. I know it has been a long time coming, and i know that we are in line to actually make it happen this time, but the days until it passes are getting longer and longer. I am really having a kid at Christmas moment. Not to mention it is getting harder and harder to teach people with all this in limbo.

    That being said, I have a couple questions, because I am not politically savvy.

    1: Does anyone know the "Effective as of" date that would be set with this bill? Or would it be one of those the day it is signed things?

    2: How many more steps are there in the process to Walker's Desk?

    3: Does anyone know the 'Misdemeanor Penalty" for accidentally driving through a school zone without a permit?
    I am Calico Jack,,,, And I approve this message!
    (Paid for by the blood of patriots, and Calico Jack Defense)
    Calico Jack Defense

  2. #2
    Regular Member BROKENSPROKET's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Trempealeau County
    Posts
    2,187
    Quote Originally Posted by CalicoJack10 View Post
    I don't know about the rest of you but there is a part of me that is holding my breath waiting for SB93 to pass. I know it has been a long time coming, and i know that we are in line to actually make it happen this time, but the days until it passes are getting longer and longer. I am really having a kid at Christmas moment. Not to mention it is getting harder and harder to teach people with all this in limbo.

    That being said, I have a couple questions, because I am not politically savvy.

    1: Does anyone know the "Effective as of" date that would be set with this bill? Or would it be one of those the day it is signed things?

    2: How many more steps are there in the process to Walker's Desk?

    3: Does anyone know the 'Misdemeanor Penalty" for accidentally driving through a school zone without a permit?
    1. Every part as soon as it is published after the Governor signs it. Although it may be awhile before the DOJ get the system in place beofre they can actually issue permits.

    2. It must pass through both the Senate and the House before it gets to the Governors desk.

    3. With SSA1-SB93, it is not a Midameanor, it is Class B Forfeture

  3. #3
    Regular Member cleveland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    West Allis, WI
    Posts
    289
    Quote Originally Posted by BROKENSPROKET View Post
    2. It must pass through both the Senate and the House before it gets to the Governors desk.
    Is there a date for it to go to the Senate?

    Any chance that this is going to pass by mid July? I'd hate to see us get this close and the recalls screw it up.

  4. #4
    Regular Member paul@paul-fisher.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Chandler, AZ
    Posts
    4,047
    Quote Originally Posted by cleveland View Post
    Is there a date for it to go to the Senate?

    Any chance that this is going to pass by mid July? I'd hate to see us get this close and the recalls screw it up.
    The Senate goes back into session June 7th-30. If it's not done by then, they aren't in session again until September 13th.

    So..... Please, please, please push you elected representative and Senators.

  5. #5
    Regular Member cleveland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    West Allis, WI
    Posts
    289
    Quote Originally Posted by paul@paul-fisher.com View Post
    The Senate goes back into session June 7th-30. If it's not done by then, they aren't in session again until September 13th.
    Thanks!



    Quote Originally Posted by paul@paul-fisher.com View Post
    So..... Please, please, please push you elected representative and Senators.
    I sent Leah Vukmir an email last week asking where she stood on the concealed carry bill. Instead of emailing me, she called me! She said that she supports constitutional carry, but believes that a permit system is what will pass.

    I sent Anthony Staskunas the same email, but was never replied to.

    Who else do you contact besides your representative and senator?

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Stoughton, WI
    Posts
    252
    IIRC, the Constitutional carry is effective immediately, and the permit system is supposed to be in place within 120 days (4 months) of enactment.

  7. #7
    Regular Member paul@paul-fisher.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Chandler, AZ
    Posts
    4,047
    Quote Originally Posted by cleveland View Post
    Who else do you contact besides your representative and senator?
    Both Fitzgerald brothers to remind them the Republican platform change in 2010 and it was re-affirmed just last week, the official stance of the Republican Party of WI is Constitutional Carry.

    Also, wouldn't hurt to email the Governor as well.

  8. #8
    Regular Member Canard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    SE, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    148
    Quote Originally Posted by cleveland View Post
    Thanks!





    I sent Leah Vukmir an email last week asking where she stood on the concealed carry bill. Instead of emailing me, she called me! She said that she supports constitutional carry, but believes that a permit system is what will pass.

    I sent Anthony Staskunas the same email, but was never replied to.

    Who else do you contact besides your representative and senator?

    I emailed her many months ago and she called with the same crap. The reason they call you is so you don't have a record of what they said to you. That way you can't come back pointing out how they told you one thing and voted another. Dale Kooyenga fully supports CC.
    Last edited by Canard; 05-30-2011 at 07:18 PM.

  9. #9
    Regular Member cleveland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    West Allis, WI
    Posts
    289
    emails sent!

    @ Canard, Why is it crap? Seems to be what a lot of people think is going to pass.
    Last edited by cleveland; 05-30-2011 at 07:20 PM.

  10. #10
    Regular Member MKEgal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    in front of my computer, WI
    Posts
    4,426
    I don't have it handy, but I looked up the forfeiture amount & posted it to another thread discussing SB93, etc., along w/ the links to WI statutes.
    IIRC, the level of forfeiture they wrote = up to $1000 fine.

    So you could get a slap on the wrist (court costs), or you could really get slammed.
    Depends on the politics of the judge involved.
    In any case, it's cheaper to get the @#)^Y&# permit.

    And who wants to bet that the officers involved would follow the law and just issue the ticket, like any other ticket?
    I'm willing to bet that they'd treat it like Brookfield did me - felony stop, steal the gun, make it as difficult as possible in order to punish the person.

  11. #11
    McX
    Guest
    everything takes forever in Wisconsin; remember how long it took to get right turn on red? Arm pit of the mid-west.

  12. #12
    Campaign Veteran GLOCK21GB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    4,348
    I spoke with Senator Robert Cowles tonight at the Memorial Day service at Admiral Flatley park in Green Bay which I provided the PA system for, the Mayor Spoke too... Cowles seems to think that with the recall elections coming up which he is one of those being recalled, he did seem some what on board with Constitutional carry SB 93 But he said the Majority will go for Permits & training plus Dems will push hard for Training & Permit's. I spoke with him for a good 15 minutes, very nice guy & it think I educated him on the important points.

    Although I am more & more beginning to doubt we will see Constitutional carry any time before i am 50, that's 9 years from now....
    Last edited by GLOCK21GB; 05-31-2011 at 12:09 AM.
    http://youtu.be/xWgVGu3OR4U AACFI, Wisconsin / Minnesota Carry Certified. Action Pistol & Advanced Action pistol concepts + Urban Carbine course. When the entitlement Zombies begin looting, pillaging, raping, burning & killing..remember HEAD SHOTS it's the only way to kill a Zombie. Stockpile food & water now.

    Please support your local,county, state & Federal Law enforcement agencies, right ???

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,170

    Let me help decipher "politician speak" for you

    They say they are all for Constitutional carry, but they see a "permit System" being passed.


    What does this mean in politician speak? It means they are not on board with C-C, they are only talking about it with you because that what they think you want to hear. And they plan on either killing the bill entirely, or backing a mandatory permit system no matter what their constituents want. If a permit system is what we get, I say we recall everyone who is on the block be them republican or Democrat!

    This is total and complete bullschitt anyways, The way I see this, it is my constitutional right and it has been lost for too long already. with the waves of new found patriotism washing across this state, I am sure I could win a CCW charge on constitutional grounds right now if it came to that. Basically, I decided to not wait for governmental permission to exercise my 2A rights. Especially with the economy the way it is and my increased potential to be robbed because of it.

  14. #14
    Regular Member Canard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    SE, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    148
    Quote Originally Posted by cleveland View Post
    emails sent!

    @ Canard, Why is it crap? Seems to be what a lot of people think is going to pass.
    The crap is that she is a co-sponsor of the bill and she is still telling you that it doesn't have a chance. She should be fighting for it instead of co- sponsoring it and then sitting around quietly on the sidelines. A lot of folks seems to thin SB93 has a great chance in the Senate but could see some difficulty in the House.

  15. #15
    Regular Member Outdoorsman1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Silver Lake WI
    Posts
    1,249

    Another Question..

    Ok..."What If" the bill passes without any madatory permits or training and the Gov. signs it into law (still hoping).... then the anti's file lawsuits as a last ditch effort to stop or change the bill (after it has been signed into law) (similar to whats happening with the budget bill) (which they say might go all the way to the Supreme Court)....

    Will we have to wait until it filters through the courts or will we be able to enjoy the new bill as passed until it reaches the Supreeme Court for a final decision..

    Srry if thi is highjacking this thread but I have been wondering (above) for a while now...and figured here was a good place to ask...

    Outdoorsman1
    "On the Plains of Hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the Dawn of Victory, sat down to wait - and waiting, died."

    George Cecil (18911970) American advertising copywriter

    Outdoorsman1
    Member: Wisconsin Carry Inc.
    Member: Silver Lake Sportsmans Club
    Wisconsin C.C.W. License Holder
    Utah State Permit Holder.
    Arizona State Permit Holder.

  16. #16
    Founder's Club Member protias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    SE, WI
    Posts
    7,322
    Quote Originally Posted by Outdoorsman1 View Post
    Ok..."What If" the bill passes without any madatory permits or training and the Gov. signs it into law (still hoping).... then the anti's file lawsuits as a last ditch effort to stop or change the bill (after it has been signed into law) (similar to whats happening with the budget bill) (which they say might go all the way to the Supreme Court)....

    Will we have to wait until it filters through the courts or will we be able to enjoy the new bill as passed until it reaches the Supreeme Court for a final decision..

    Srry if thi is highjacking this thread but I have been wondering (above) for a while now...and figured here was a good place to ask...

    Outdoorsman1
    They would have a hard time to fight against Constitutional Carry.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

    If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

    I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1,169

    Does Everybody Realizes

    1. There is likely to be a lawsuit over this bill.
    2. Uncle Bob LaFollette will refuse to set a publication date alleging uncertainty over its legality.
    3. Even if LRB publishes the new law, local police will start massive patdowns looking for "illegal" concealed carry.

    Don't expect the benefits of this law until closer to the end of the year. Not even by then, if certain parties think it can be stalled until a Walker recall is played out. The only exception would be if the WI Supreme Court bitch-slaps Judge Sumi over the budget issue. Then the opposition will hunker down and plan an strategy of attrition.

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,170

    The law cannot be blocked by lawsuit unless procedure is questioned.

    Sumi blocked the collective bargaining bill because there was questions about the open meetings law being violated.

    The WSC will vacate her decision in the next week anyway because she had no authority to even hear that case, and she should have recused herself due to her sons position with the union being a conflict of interest.

  19. #19
    Regular Member Archangel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    OTP, Georgia, USA
    Posts
    231
    Quote Originally Posted by cleveland View Post
    I sent Anthony Staskunas the same email, but was never replied to.
    And he won't, because he's against it. I used to live about 3 blocks from him. Not what you would call a "pro-gun" guy.

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Vilas County, WI, ,
    Posts
    318
    Quote Originally Posted by apjonas View Post
    1. There is likely to be a lawsuit over this bill.
    2. Uncle Bob LaFollette will refuse to set a publication date alleging uncertainty over its legality.
    3. Even if LRB publishes the new law, local police will start massive patdowns looking for "illegal" concealed carry.

    Don't expect the benefits of this law until closer to the end of the year. Not even by then, if certain parties think it can be stalled until a Walker recall is played out. The only exception would be if the WI Supreme Court bitch-slaps Judge Sumi over the budget issue. Then the opposition will hunker down and plan an strategy of attrition.
    1.) Go ahead and play devil's advocate... on what grounds will there be a lawsuit?

    2.) Without a lawsuit, he cannot, and will not refuse to do his job.

    3.) Now there's grounds for lawsuits.

    As long as there's no procedural misconduct in passage, the law will take effect. It's getting there that'll be the problem.

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1,169

    This is not hypothetical.....

    Quote Originally Posted by safcrkr View Post
    1.) Go ahead and play devil's advocate... on what grounds will there be a lawsuit?

    **If we have learned anything, it is that the opposition can pull a reason out of their posterior. Perhaps a claim that when the bill was voted on, the Republicans weren't wearing clean underwear. I am not saying that they will be ultimately successful but since they control Dane County judges they can play rope-a-dope until the environment changes.

    2.) Without a lawsuit, he cannot, and will not refuse to do his job.

    **Sure he can. There was no basis in law for his behavior on the budget bill. But he did it. Any sort of complaint will give him cover.

    3.) Now there's grounds for lawsuits.

    **Which is what is desired - delay and confusion are the tools that will be used.

    As long as there's no procedural misconduct in passage, the law will take effect. It's getting there that'll be the problem.
    **Again, anybody who can read English knows that there was no procedural misconduct with regard to SB11. Sumi probably thinks she might as well be hung for a sheep as for a lamb. If not there are other pliable political hacks in robes. Don't be naive, these people are vicious.

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    1,169

    Maybe

    Quote Originally Posted by Nutczak View Post
    Sumi blocked the collective bargaining bill because there was questions about the open meetings law being violated.

    **The law is clear on this matter. Sumi had to pretend that certain rules didn't exist to rule as she did. You can always come up with a reason if the judge is inclined to your side.

    The WSC will vacate her decision in the next week anyway because she had no authority to even hear that case, and she should have recused herself due to her sons position with the union being a conflict of interest.
    **This is exactly what I said would be the only way out (at least for now). I rather doubt that anything will happen next week other than the hearing. Aunt Shirley has the power and motive to d--r--a--g this out for a long time. I still am hoping her respect for the law will override her political leanings but I am not so confident given the molasses-like speed at which she's moved so far.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •