• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Taking forever in Wisconsin!

CalicoJack10

I don't know about the rest of you but there is a part of me that is holding my breath waiting for SB93 to pass. I know it has been a long time coming, and i know that we are in line to actually make it happen this time, but the days until it passes are getting longer and longer. I am really having a kid at Christmas moment. Not to mention it is getting harder and harder to teach people with all this in limbo.

That being said, I have a couple questions, because I am not politically savvy.

1: Does anyone know the "Effective as of" date that would be set with this bill? Or would it be one of those the day it is signed things?

2: How many more steps are there in the process to Walker's Desk?

3: Does anyone know the 'Misdemeanor Penalty" for accidentally driving through a school zone without a permit?

BROKENSPROKET

I don't know about the rest of you but there is a part of me that is holding my breath waiting for SB93 to pass. I know it has been a long time coming, and i know that we are in line to actually make it happen this time, but the days until it passes are getting longer and longer. I am really having a kid at Christmas moment. Not to mention it is getting harder and harder to teach people with all this in limbo.

That being said, I have a couple questions, because I am not politically savvy.

1: Does anyone know the "Effective as of" date that would be set with this bill? Or would it be one of those the day it is signed things?

2: How many more steps are there in the process to Walker's Desk?

3: Does anyone know the 'Misdemeanor Penalty" for accidentally driving through a school zone without a permit?

1. Every part as soon as it is published after the Governor signs it. Although it may be awhile before the DOJ get the system in place beofre they can actually issue permits.

2. It must pass through both the Senate and the House before it gets to the Governors desk.

3. With SSA1-SB93, it is not a Midameanor, it is Class B Forfeture

paul@paul-fisher.com

Is there a date for it to go to the Senate?

Any chance that this is going to pass by mid July? I'd hate to see us get this close and the recalls screw it up.

The Senate goes back into session June 7th-30. If it's not done by then, they aren't in session again until September 13th.

So..... Please, please, please push you elected representative and Senators.

cleveland

The Senate goes back into session June 7th-30. If it's not done by then, they aren't in session again until September 13th.

Thanks!

I sent Leah Vukmir an email last week asking where she stood on the concealed carry bill. Instead of emailing me, she called me! She said that she supports constitutional carry, but believes that a permit system is what will pass.

I sent Anthony Staskunas the same email, but was never replied to.

Who else do you contact besides your representative and senator?

rcav8r

IIRC, the Constitutional carry is effective immediately, and the permit system is supposed to be in place within 120 days (4 months) of enactment.

paul@paul-fisher.com

Both Fitzgerald brothers to remind them the Republican platform change in 2010 and it was re-affirmed just last week, the official stance of the Republican Party of WI is Constitutional Carry.

Also, wouldn't hurt to email the Governor as well.

Canard

Thanks!

I sent Leah Vukmir an email last week asking where she stood on the concealed carry bill. Instead of emailing me, she called me! She said that she supports constitutional carry, but believes that a permit system is what will pass.

I sent Anthony Staskunas the same email, but was never replied to.

I emailed her many months ago and she called with the same crap. The reason they call you is so you don't have a record of what they said to you. That way you can't come back pointing out how they told you one thing and voted another. Dale Kooyenga fully supports CC.

Last edited:

cleveland

emails sent!

@ Canard, Why is it crap? Seems to be what a lot of people think is going to pass.

Last edited:

blaze

The official Wisconsin State Legislature website sez the Senate and Assembly will be in session Jun 7 to Jun 30 2011, OR budget passage.

Depending on how you interpret the latter part of above sentence?

MKEgal

I don't have it handy, but I looked up the forfeiture amount & posted it to another thread discussing SB93, etc., along w/ the links to WI statutes.
IIRC, the level of forfeiture they wrote = up to $1000 fine.

So you could get a slap on the wrist (court costs), or you could really get slammed.
Depends on the politics of the judge involved.
In any case, it's cheaper to get the @#)^Y&# permit.

And who wants to bet that the officers involved would follow the law and just issue the ticket, like any other ticket?
I'm willing to bet that they'd treat it like Brookfield did me - felony stop, steal the gun, make it as difficult as possible in order to punish the person.

M

McX

everything takes forever in Wisconsin; remember how long it took to get right turn on red? Arm pit of the mid-west.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
I spoke with Senator Robert Cowles tonight at the Memorial Day service at Admiral Flatley park in Green Bay which I provided the PA system for, the Mayor Spoke too... Cowles seems to think that with the recall elections coming up which he is one of those being recalled, he did seem some what on board with Constitutional carry SB 93 But he said the Majority will go for Permits & training plus Dems will push hard for Training & Permit's. I spoke with him for a good 15 minutes, very nice guy & it think I educated him on the important points.

Although I am more & more beginning to doubt we will see Constitutional carry any time before i am 50, that's 9 years from now....

Last edited:

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
Let me help decipher "politician speak" for you

They say they are all for Constitutional carry, but they see a "permit System" being passed.

What does this mean in politician speak? It means they are not on board with C-C, they are only talking about it with you because that what they think you want to hear. And they plan on either killing the bill entirely, or backing a mandatory permit system no matter what their constituents want. If a permit system is what we get, I say we recall everyone who is on the block be them republican or Democrat!

This is total and complete bullschitt anyways, The way I see this, it is my constitutional right and it has been lost for too long already. with the waves of new found patriotism washing across this state, I am sure I could win a CCW charge on constitutional grounds right now if it came to that. Basically, I decided to not wait for governmental permission to exercise my 2A rights. Especially with the economy the way it is and my increased potential to be robbed because of it.

Canard

emails sent!

@ Canard, Why is it crap? Seems to be what a lot of people think is going to pass.

The crap is that she is a co-sponsor of the bill and she is still telling you that it doesn't have a chance. She should be fighting for it instead of co- sponsoring it and then sitting around quietly on the sidelines. A lot of folks seems to thin SB93 has a great chance in the Senate but could see some difficulty in the House.

Outdoorsman1

Another Question..

Ok..."What If" the bill passes without any madatory permits or training and the Gov. signs it into law (still hoping).... then the anti's file lawsuits as a last ditch effort to stop or change the bill (after it has been signed into law) (similar to whats happening with the budget bill) (which they say might go all the way to the Supreme Court)....

Will we have to wait until it filters through the courts or will we be able to enjoy the new bill as passed until it reaches the Supreeme Court for a final decision..

Srry if thi is highjacking this thread but I have been wondering (above) for a while now...and figured here was a good place to ask...

Outdoorsman1

protias

Ok..."What If" the bill passes without any madatory permits or training and the Gov. signs it into law (still hoping).... then the anti's file lawsuits as a last ditch effort to stop or change the bill (after it has been signed into law) (similar to whats happening with the budget bill) (which they say might go all the way to the Supreme Court)....

Will we have to wait until it filters through the courts or will we be able to enjoy the new bill as passed until it reaches the Supreeme Court for a final decision..

Srry if thi is highjacking this thread but I have been wondering (above) for a while now...and figured here was a good place to ask...

Outdoorsman1

They would have a hard time to fight against Constitutional Carry.

apjonas

Does Everybody Realizes

1. There is likely to be a lawsuit over this bill.
2. Uncle Bob LaFollette will refuse to set a publication date alleging uncertainty over its legality.
3. Even if LRB publishes the new law, local police will start massive patdowns looking for "illegal" concealed carry.

Don't expect the benefits of this law until closer to the end of the year. Not even by then, if certain parties think it can be stalled until a Walker recall is played out. The only exception would be if the WI Supreme Court bitch-slaps Judge Sumi over the budget issue. Then the opposition will hunker down and plan an strategy of attrition.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
The law cannot be blocked by lawsuit unless procedure is questioned.

Sumi blocked the collective bargaining bill because there was questions about the open meetings law being violated.

The WSC will vacate her decision in the next week anyway because she had no authority to even hear that case, and she should have recused herself due to her sons position with the union being a conflict of interest.