• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Greetings, new to OC

10-79

Good evening ladies and gents,

New to OC, Desoto County resident, applied for my MS firearm permit at the beginning of May, still waiting by the mailbox, hoping for it to show up someday soon :uhoh: Anyways, wanted to introduce myself to the forum, I'll dig into the threads and get caught up with the issue at hand here.

Last edited:

10-79

I would be oh-so-happy if I received it within 6 weeks! I have heard from some it took them over 90 days, and heard from others they received theirs within 45 days of applying

MSRebel54

I would be oh-so-happy if I received it within 6 weeks! I have heard from some it took them over 90 days, and heard from others they received theirs within 45 days of applying

The law used to be 120 days, now it's 45 days. They have an uncanny ability to have it in your mailbox right on that 45th day. :)

thearmysredneck

Yep got mine last week and it was 45 days in the nose. Amazing how they time that so well huh? But I've been OCing all over my part here in DeSoto, both wally worlds, Target, sportsman warehouse, gas stations, all over. Some strange looks here and there but that's about it. No LEO attention yet, kinda waiting on that one. Just hope its not in southaven, the guys on that side of 55, well not to friendly in day to day interactions from my experience.

techmanchuck

What makes me so mad about the whole thing is they already printed it. All they have to do is a criminal background check and give it to you.... but the idoits that make the laws wont let that happen. But be even better if we had constitutional carry

Daylen

What makes me so mad about the whole thing is they already printed it. All they have to do is a criminal background check and give it to you.... but the idoits that make the laws wont let that happen. But be even better if we had constitutional carry

MS constitutional carry or 2nd amendment constitutional carry? I'd go for either one.

georg jetson

Ok... how do you intend to get "constitutional carry"... assuming that you don't already have it?

10-79

Constitutional carry would be awesome if State of MS adopted it. Neighboring Tennessee has a bill circulating its legislature as we speak regarding the matter. They (State of TN) speculate they would stand to lose 4.7 million dollars in revenue if they pass it, and, if I know MS, they are not going to like that one bit, what, with them cutting teachers and their pay left and right.

Last edited:

georg jetson

Constitutional carry would be awesome if State of MS adopted it. Neighboring Tennessee has a bill circulating its legislature as we speak regarding the matter. They (State of TN) speculate they would stand to lose 4.7 million dollars in revenue if they pass it, and, if I know MS, they are not going to like that one bit, what, with them cutting teachers and their pay left and right.

The bill you link to speaks of "authorization" and endorsements for permits. What the heck does that have to do with "Constitutional Carry"??!! Constitutional carry is EXACTLY what is says it is... a provision in the state or federal constitution that PROTECTS the RIGHT to bear arms.

techmanchuck

I am writing letters to day today to all my congressmen and senators at state and federal level as well as the AG of ms. I am going to fight for constitutional carry of CC. I know in MS it is legal to OC by the state constitution tho they tried to stop it with the "concealed in part" crap. If i don't know how many people would want to do this but we could start local clubs and fight for it together.

georg jetson

I am writing letters to day today to all my congressmen and senators at state and federal level as well as the AG of ms. I am going to fight for constitutional carry of CC. I know in MS it is legal to OC by the state constitution tho they tried to stop it with the "concealed in part" crap. If i don't know how many people would want to do this but we could start local clubs and fight for it together.

What is it exactly, that you are asking your congressmen to do?

techmanchuck

well i think one of the first things is take out the "concealed in part" and also define concealed as the pistol or revolver being covered by clothing and if is fully or partly outside the clothing it can not be considered concealed

10-79

If i don't know how many people would want to do this but we could start local clubs and fight for it together.

Well, I guess we add up how many MS members we have in this forum, as well as the ms gun owners forum, with that number, I suspect we would have a good start of maybe 100 members. If we pool our efforts together, we could effectively spam our senate at any given point with our agenda :lol:

georg jetson

well i think one of the first things is take out the "concealed in part" and also define concealed as the pistol or revolver being covered by clothing and if is fully or partly outside the clothing it can not be considered concealed

Ok... that'd be a good start, but be carefull about asking the legislature to define "concealed" by statute. In La., part of of our illegal carry law is the element of "intent" as part of the crime. In other words, the prosecution needs to prove that the defendant INTENDED to carry concealed.

georg jetson

i thought about that one day and thats why i left that word out, "intended" would be very bad

You missed the boat my friend... Including the element of "intent" in a statute burdens the prosecution... not the defendant. Not only must it be shown that the weapon WAS concealed, but that concealment was the INTENT.

MSRebel54

You missed the boat my friend... Including the element of "intent" in a statute burdens the prosecution... not the defendant. Not only must it be shown that the weapon WAS concealed, but that concealment was the INTENT.

Yet those in the know, charge you with "disturbing the peace", and that must include "intent" as well. It's just easier to get by with, as it's not black and white, as is whether your gun is visible or not visible. They can always charge you with that, (disturbing the peace) and worry about the "intent" later. Because you made a couple of people "nervous", you disturbed their peace. You see, we got a long row to hoe. And I appreciate everyone on this forum doing what they do, and willing to at least talk about it.

If this Oxford thing happens this summer, every one of us will be putting ourselves up for arrest. Not necessarily for "concealed carry without a license", for anything else they can think of. But that's the price you got to pay if you're in the game. You just can't sit back and type on a keyboard an not get out there and do what you believe in, and what you know is legal and right.

I've talked about cameras before, and no one commented. If it's up to me, I'll make sure there are at least THREE cameras, once edited will make for a great Youtube video, but mostly to just CYA. Cops won't confiscate all three of them. I really don't think they'll be a problem with Oxford cops anyway, but just CYA, cause you never know. It also depends on how many is there. 6 vs. 2 is a big deal. Do we really want to arrest these SIX people who are claiming to be perfectly LEGAL? Probably not.

Anyway, I have all kinds of pokers in the fire. I know the Chief personally, several of the OPD officers, and could even probably pre-arrange it. But the key word here is "probably" and can you trust them to keep to their word. I truly do not know. But I'm willing to take a chance, if anyone else is. I do know they've dealt with a single person OC'ing, but I don't know how they'd react to several doing so. It's just unpredictable.

I'm posting this in the other thread as well.