Thread: Ferry Policy

Ferry Policy

Anyone know if there is any policy against carry on the ferry? I'm headed across the river to get a haircut and this would make things much faster. I can't find anything so I'm going to treat it as always in my Jeep.

Also, does CiCi's pizza sell alcohol?

Not sure about the ferry, but your Good to go at Cici's. No alcohol and no gun buster signs.

I can tell you that they did a cursory search of my vehicle last time I was on a NC Ferry. Just had us open up the doors on our van and had a look, didn't request we open any compartments, good thing as I had my 1911 locked in one of them.

This was last thanksgiving on the ferry to Fort Fisher.

I would assume it is not allowed as the ferry's are state owned and operated by state employees. I would lock it up.

Quote Originally Posted by 62 Caddy View Post
    I would assume it is not allowed as the ferry's are state owned and operated by state employees. I would lock it up.

Ferrys are not buildings, and so are NOT covered under the NC statute prohibiting firearms in State-owned buildings and parks.

A Ferry is a "conveyance", like a highway, and therefore should be under the same firearms laws that protect travel with firearms on highways and in rest stops.

There are NO prohibitions against possessing firearms on Ferrys in the NC Statute, unless you consider the prohibition on Boat Launches as being applicable.

However, IANAL, so YMMV...
    Last edited by Dreamer; 06-01-2011 at 12:12 PM.
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Thanks guys. I read this just before I was leaving yesterday so I locked my sidearm up just to be safe.

http://www.ncdot.org/download/transi...ritypolicy.pdf

There was a blue sign with prohabitions on it that you pass as you get on. I was being waived on so I didnt get a good chance to read the whole thing but the first rule is no smoking...

I'll try to go back sometime to get a picture.

Deja vu

Another ferry boat issue.

Should be interesting to see what the rules are in NC. Virginia tried to hide behind the Coast Guard, but it hasn't worked.
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Quote Originally Posted by CDT COX View Post
    Thanks guys. I read this just before I was leaving yesterday so I locked my sidearm up just to be safe.

http://www.ncdot.org/download/transi...ritypolicy.pdf

I just spent several hours attempting to navigate the MTSA website, looking for information on firearms, to no avail. Their website is full of dead links, links to MASSIVE databases with no search features, and is generally a monstrous CF of epic proportions.

If the USCG is applying the same level of expertise to patrolling the waters of the US as they give to making information available and transparent through their official MTSA website, then I would suggest that it is probably unsafe for any US citizen to get any closer than 100 miles to a navigable waterway.

Just sayin'...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Quote Originally Posted by Thundar View Post
    Another ferry boat issue.

Should be interesting to see what the rules are in NC. Virginia tried to hide behind the Coast Guard, but it hasn't worked.

According to the "Final Rules" pdf on the MTSA website, there is no provision in the Code of Federal Regulations, or in the MTSA-2002 that require ferry operators to "check legally carried firearms carried by passengers" as part of their Security Plans.

There is, however the OPTION to do so, which would be subject to State Statutes.

And in NC, much like in VA, we do in fact have State Preemption, and there are no special exemptions for Ferrys in the NC Statute, so unless they sneaked a firearms ban in through their "MTSA Security Plan", I can't see how it would be legal for the NCDOT to have such a policy.

But as I say, IANAL.

I'll be going to the coast later this summer. I'll be sure to check the Ferry landings if I am near a ferry for any signage...
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Ferry commuter and the real deal!

Hi, I ride the Minnesott-Cherry Branch ferry 2X a day. I had asked the same question and it was explained when the Fed's setup their checkpoint there occasionally, vehicle search, etc. by DHS and TSA they are surprised how well armed the citizens of NC are! If the weapon is concealed and you have a CCW, they don't and cannot do anything against you and the same is true for OC!
    I've OC'd many time while riding the ferry and just left it on the dashboard while riding across. (I remained in the drivers seat)
    I engaged the security in small talk and he said that OCing was fine, and it's your right to OC in NC as long as it's visible. They have no problem with it at all.
    And there is NO SIGN banning firearms, at least on the ferry I take.
    Last edited by open_carry; 06-05-2011 at 09:55 AM.

mattwestm
    This is good to know. I'll be taking the ferry from Swanquarter to Ocracoke in a few weeks. Glad to know I can OC.

Quote Originally Posted by open_carry View Post
    Hi, I ride the Minnesott-Cherry Branch ferry 2X a day. I had asked the same question and it was explained when the Fed's setup their checkpoint there occasionally, vehicle search, etc. by DHS and TSA they are surprised how well armed the citizens of NC are! If the weapon is concealed and you have a CCW, they don't and cannot do anything against you and the same is true for OC!
    I've OC'd many time while riding the ferry and just left it on the dashboard while riding across. (I remained in the drivers seat)
    I engaged the security in small talk and he said that OCing was fine, and it's your right to OC in NC as long as it's visible. They have no problem with it at all.
    And there is NO SIGN banning firearms, at least on the ferry I take.

Thanks, that was the ferry I was talking about. Where are you in the County? I live about 10 minutes from Minnesott

Oriental.

Right on I'm by dawson creek

CCH on Ferries

HI, I'm a new member, looking forward to your insights.
    I always lock up my handgun on the ferry. Law says that you
    cannot carry concealed anywhere you pay admission to go While
    that would not apply to the free Ferrys I suppose it would apply to the
    pay Ferrys. I lock it up on all the Ferrys so I don't forget on the pay ones.

Quote Originally Posted by CDT COX View Post
    ...There was a blue sign with prohabitions on it that you pass as you get on. I was being waived on....
    That is a particularly misleading homophone! I had to read that twice, trying to figure out what your exemption was!

Hopefully I'm laughing with you and not at you...
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Quote Originally Posted by moonie View Post
    I can tell you that they did a cursory search of my vehicle last time I was on a NC Ferry. Just had us open up the doors on our van and had a look, didn't request we open any compartments,....
    My guess is they are more concerned with bags of fertilizer than firearms.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Technically, wouldn't the charge for a ferry be a fare, not an admission?

Just don't point your finger at them.
    Last edited by zoom6zoom; 11-23-2012 at 12:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zoom6zoom View Post
    Technically, wouldn't the charge for a ferry be a fare, not an admission?

Just don't point your finger at them.
    +1

NOT admission, just as entering a toll road is not admission. Think of it as a taxi or bus.
    Paying for usage is not the same as paying to be there.
    Last edited by bc.cruiser; 11-23-2012 at 06:44 AM.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    This is something that has been discussed multiple times on OCDO and to the same conclusion. There are many who routinely OC and/or CC on the NC ferries - to my knowledge no one has ever been arrested or prosecuted for doing so.

You won't find the law against it, as there is none. There is no paid "admission" to riding a ferry - you are not attending an event. You are riding on a mobile, water borne section of state highway.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.