• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ferry Policy

CDT COX

Anyone know if there is any policy against carry on the ferry? I'm headed across the river to get a haircut and this would make things much faster. I can't find anything so I'm going to treat it as always in my Jeep.

Also, does CiCi's pizza sell alcohol?

moonie

I can tell you that they did a cursory search of my vehicle last time I was on a NC Ferry. Just had us open up the doors on our van and had a look, didn't request we open any compartments, good thing as I had my 1911 locked in one of them.

This was last thanksgiving on the ferry to Fort Fisher.

62 Caddy

I would assume it is not allowed as the ferry's are state owned and operated by state employees. I would lock it up.

Dreamer

I would assume it is not allowed as the ferry's are state owned and operated by state employees. I would lock it up.

Ferrys are not buildings, and so are NOT covered under the NC statute prohibiting firearms in State-owned buildings and parks.

A Ferry is a "conveyance", like a highway, and therefore should be under the same firearms laws that protect travel with firearms on highways and in rest stops.

There are NO prohibitions against possessing firearms on Ferrys in the NC Statute, unless you consider the prohibition on Boat Launches as being applicable.

However, IANAL, so YMMV...

Last edited:

CDT COX

Thanks guys. I read this just before I was leaving yesterday so I locked my sidearm up just to be safe.

http://www.ncdot.org/download/transit/ferry/securitypolicy.pdf

There was a blue sign with prohabitions on it that you pass as you get on. I was being waived on so I didnt get a good chance to read the whole thing but the first rule is no smoking...

I'll try to go back sometime to get a picture.

Thundar

Deja vu

Another ferry boat issue.

Should be interesting to see what the rules are in NC. Virginia tried to hide behind the Coast Guard, but it hasn't worked.

Dreamer

Thanks guys. I read this just before I was leaving yesterday so I locked my sidearm up just to be safe.

http://www.ncdot.org/download/transit/ferry/securitypolicy.pdf

I just spent several hours attempting to navigate the MTSA website, looking for information on firearms, to no avail. Their website is full of dead links, links to MASSIVE databases with no search features, and is generally a monstrous CF of epic proportions.

If the USCG is applying the same level of expertise to patrolling the waters of the US as they give to making information available and transparent through their official MTSA website, then I would suggest that it is probably unsafe for any US citizen to get any closer than 100 miles to a navigable waterway.

Just sayin'...

Dreamer

Another ferry boat issue.

Should be interesting to see what the rules are in NC. Virginia tried to hide behind the Coast Guard, but it hasn't worked.

According to the "Final Rules" pdf on the MTSA website, there is no provision in the Code of Federal Regulations, or in the MTSA-2002 that require ferry operators to "check legally carried firearms carried by passengers" as part of their Security Plans.

There is, however the OPTION to do so, which would be subject to State Statutes.

And in NC, much like in VA, we do in fact have State Preemption, and there are no special exemptions for Ferrys in the NC Statute, so unless they sneaked a firearms ban in through their "MTSA Security Plan", I can't see how it would be legal for the NCDOT to have such a policy.

But as I say, IANAL.

I'll be going to the coast later this summer. I'll be sure to check the Ferry landings if I am near a ferry for any signage...

open_carry

Ferry commuter and the real deal!

Hi, I ride the Minnesott-Cherry Branch ferry 2X a day. I had asked the same question and it was explained when the Fed's setup their checkpoint there occasionally, vehicle search, etc. by DHS and TSA they are surprised how well armed the citizens of NC are! If the weapon is concealed and you have a CCW, they don't and cannot do anything against you and the same is true for OC!
I've OC'd many time while riding the ferry and just left it on the dashboard while riding across. (I remained in the drivers seat)
I engaged the security in small talk and he said that OCing was fine, and it's your right to OC in NC as long as it's visible. They have no problem with it at all.
And there is NO SIGN banning firearms, at least on the ferry I take.

Last edited:
M

mattwestm

This is good to know. I'll be taking the ferry from Swanquarter to Ocracoke in a few weeks. Glad to know I can OC.

CDT COX

Hi, I ride the Minnesott-Cherry Branch ferry 2X a day. I had asked the same question and it was explained when the Fed's setup their checkpoint there occasionally, vehicle search, etc. by DHS and TSA they are surprised how well armed the citizens of NC are! If the weapon is concealed and you have a CCW, they don't and cannot do anything against you and the same is true for OC!
I've OC'd many time while riding the ferry and just left it on the dashboard while riding across. (I remained in the drivers seat)
I engaged the security in small talk and he said that OCing was fine, and it's your right to OC in NC as long as it's visible. They have no problem with it at all.
And there is NO SIGN banning firearms, at least on the ferry I take.

Thanks, that was the ferry I was talking about. Where are you in the County? I live about 10 minutes from Minnesott

shotgun462

CCH on Ferries

HI, I'm a new member, looking forward to your insights.
I always lock up my handgun on the ferry. Law says that you
cannot carry concealed anywhere you pay admission to go While
that would not apply to the free Ferrys I suppose it would apply to the
pay Ferrys. I lock it up on all the Ferrys so I don't forget on the pay ones.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...There was a blue sign with prohabitions on it that you pass as you get on. I was being waived on....

That is a particularly misleading homophone! I had to read that twice, trying to figure out what your exemption was!

Hopefully I'm laughing with you and not at you...

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I can tell you that they did a cursory search of my vehicle last time I was on a NC Ferry. Just had us open up the doors on our van and had a look, didn't request we open any compartments,....
My guess is they are more concerned with bags of fertilizer than firearms.

bc.cruiser

Technically, wouldn't the charge for a ferry be a fare, not an admission?

Just don't point your finger at them.

+1

NOT admission, just as entering a toll road is not admission. Think of it as a taxi or bus.
Paying for usage is not the same as paying to be there.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
This is something that has been discussed multiple times on OCDO and to the same conclusion. There are many who routinely OC and/or CC on the NC ferries - to my knowledge no one has ever been arrested or prosecuted for doing so.

You won't find the law against it, as there is none. There is no paid "admission" to riding a ferry - you are not attending an event. You are riding on a mobile, water borne section of state highway.