• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

WI Assembly - Executive session - AB 126 - 2 June

safcrkr

I hope AB126 never see the light of day.

If it's because SB93 makes it into law, then I agree.

But if SB93 doesn't make it, I'd rather see AB126 than nothing at all. I'd much rather be among the majority of the states with shall-issue permits than one of only two with no CC whatsoever.

BROKENSPROKET

But if SB93 doesn't make it, I'd rather see AB126 than nothing at all. I'd much rather be among the majority of the states with shall-issue permits than one of only two with no CC whatsoever.

I'll bet you really suck at playing poker.

BROKENSPROKET

That is pretty selfish of you. I can afford whatever they give us, but what about those that need the the most and cannot afford it. Are you thinking of them, or just yourself?

Deadscott

The Wisconsin State Assembly Criminal Justice and Corrections Committee postponed a vote on a concealed-carry bill on Thursday. It is unknown when the vote will be rescheduled.

We need to get this done before the recall elections in July. If the Dems take control of the Senate we could be back to square one.

http://www.armedbadger.com

safcrkr

That is pretty selfish of you. I can afford whatever they give us, but what about those that need the the most and cannot afford it. Are you thinking of them, or just yourself?

ROFL A 5 year permit in AB126 will cost $65. That's $13 per year!!!! If there is anybody who owns a gun and cannot afford $13 PER YEAR to carry it, then NO I don't feel sorry for them if their life isn't worth $13 to them. They can go mow a few lawns or shovel snow from a sidewalk to earn the $13. That amounts to 2 packs of smokes, 1 case of beer, or 1 box of ammo per year. Are you for fricken real? Enough of this crying for the "poor". It doesn't wash.

cleveland

ROFL A 5 year permit in AB126 will cost $65. That's $13 per year!!!! If there is anybody who owns a gun and cannot afford $13 PER YEAR to carry it, then NO I don't feel sorry for them if their life isn't worth $13 to them. They can go mow a few lawns or shovel snow from a sidewalk to earn the $13. That amounts to 2 packs of smokes, 1 case of beer, or 1 box of ammo per year. Are you for fricken real? Enough of this crying for the "poor". It doesn't wash.

That's not exactly true. There will be the cost of the permit ($65) and also be the cost of the class ($150-ish). It's not like the person can pay $13 a year, they need to have the full $65 up front and that's AFTER paying for the class in full. Add to that doubling the cost for a husband and wife and you are talking $430.

Where I agree that we should have Constitutional Carry, I disagree with your reply. This type of attack is exactly why there are not more people on board. Instead of politely educating, you attack and the person then becomes defensive. Any point that you make after the attack, regardless of how relevant, falls on deaf ears. We should be educating and recruiting, not attacking and dividing.

Last edited:

AaronS

What will happen in five years when the Dems run the show? Will we see this permission slip jumping to $150 like Texas?
$65 for five years of rights... $13 for one year of rights... I wonder if I can just pay for weekend rights...? The DNR gives us a free fishing weekend, so could the DOJ give us a free rights weekend?
So you still fine with "rights" that you have to pay cash for?

safcrkr

That's not exactly true. There will be the cost of the permit ($65) and also be the cost of the class ($150-ish). It's not like the person can pay $13 a year, they need to have the full $65 up front and that's AFTER paying for the class in full. Add to that doubling the cost for a husband and wife and you are talking $430.

Class? WHAT class? There's no training requirement in AB126.

safcrkr

What will happen in five years when the Dems run the show? Will we see this permission slip jumping to $150 like Texas?
$65 for five years of rights... $13 for one year of rights... I wonder if I can just pay for weekend rights...? The DNR gives us a free fishing weekend, so could the DOJ give us a free rights weekend?
So you still fine with "rights" that you have to pay cash for?

Can you see the forest through all those trees? What do you think the Dems will do when they run the show if 941.23 is repealed? It'd be back so fast your head will spin. And as long as they're re-writing it, they might just as well do away with that misdemeanor nonsense and make carrying a felony.... and NOBODY gets a permit to carry neither. Might as well throw in making private sales illegal too, while they're at it. If they do leave the optional permit that's in SB93 in place, who says they won't raise that to $150 or more?

What if? What if? What if? How about this what if... I'm more worried about what will happen next month if constitutional carry fails to pass, and before we can "regroup" and get a shall-issue permit law in place, the Dems retake the Senate in the recalls and we're back to Doyle days. We won't need to wait 5 years. I'm not advocating scrapping SB93 and going for AB126 instead. HELL NO! But what I am advocating for is to have AB126 ready to go and able to be passed as a last resort before recalls, if SB93 fails. If you're gonna worry about what the Dems will do, worry about that.

If you're 100% sure SB93 will pass and get signed, then the hell with a back-up plan. I'm not that sure about anything when it comes to politics. We can all kick & scream about being denied our rights for another decade or 3 if we don't think about what to do next if we fail on SB93. Go ahead and bet the farm on SB93 and risk squandering the best chance WI has had to get some form of shall-issue concealed carry in place in the past 15 years, but you'll do it without me.

To answer your last question, I'd rather pay $13 per year for my "rights" than to not have them at all.

paul@paul-fisher.com

I don't have a degree in tea leaf reading, however, on more than one occasion, people who should know have stated that SB93 will be considered by the Senate and the House. If that is truly the case, it assumes the Senate will pass it. The House cannot consider a Senate bill unless it is referred to them. It can't be referred to them if it doesn't pass.

From day one, the Senate was the place where people thought it didn't have the support in the Senate. I'm usually a glass half full kinda guy so I might be reading more into it but I am not giving up until SB93 is dead or signed.

I suggest everyone do likewise.

Last edited:

paul@paul-fisher.com

With the three bills, I have been getting the details of them confused with each other.

Actually, no bill (AB or SB) has included training. There was a LRB proposal, it never made it to getting a bill $ assigned. That doesn't mean there can't be amendments but so far, no official consideration of training.

safcrkr

Really?! Well then, I just have no idea what I am talking about. LOL!

Actually, you know quite a bit more than most WI posters on several gun forums. But I am surprised you thought there was training in any of the bills. Not yet, anyway. But don't feel bad. There's people who don't have a friggen clue as to how the political system works. I guess they stopped teaching civics in high schools. Some actually thought that the Assembly couldn't pass SB93 until the Assembly introduced it's own version of the same bill. They can't act on a Senate bill until after the Senate does, but as soon as the Senate passes it and turns it over to them, it's no differant than if it was an Assembly bill. Others thought that when the Senate committee passed SB93, it was a done deal. Good thing they checked on the internet gun forums first, before they went out and carried concealed... and got caught.

BROKENSPROKET

Actually, no bill (AB or SB) has included training. There was a LRB proposal, it never made it to getting a bill $ assigned. That doesn't mean there can't be amendments but so far, no official consideration of training.

You can't tell me that the amendmemts have not been drafted yet. You won't know about them until they are brought up on the floor.

BROKENSPROKET

Actually, you know quite a bit more than most WI posters on several gun forums. But I am surprised you thought there was training in any of the bills. Not yet, anyway. But don't feel bad. There's people who don't have a friggen clue as to how the political system works. I guess they stopped teaching civics in high schools. Some actually thought that the Assembly couldn't pass SB93 until the Assembly introduced it's own version of the same bill. They can't act on a Senate bill until after the Senate does, but as soon as the Senate passes it and turns it over to them, it's no differant than if it was an Assembly bill. Others thought that when the Senate committee passed SB93, it was a done deal. Good thing they checked on the internet gun forums first, before they went out and carried concealed... and got caught.

Not yet anyway. The writing is on the wall and you cannot read it. Both Fitz brothers and Walker want permits and training. That is what we will get.

Big Dipper

Not yet anyway. The writing is on the wall and you cannot read it. Both Fitz brothers and Walker want permits and training. That is what we will get.

And I still believe that that in large part is because that's what "Daddy" told them HE wants!

Does anyone really know what the postion of the WI State Patrol and its leader Stephen Fitzgerald (a former CHICAGO police officer) is?

Does anyone doubt that his opinion matters a lot to them when it comes to LEO related matters?!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

cleveland

I am surprised you thought there was training in any of the bills. Not yet, anyway.

I guess I just added it mentally when reading the info. I automatically associated a permit with training, except with the constitutional bill.

I will really be shocked it the bill passes without permits, training, and a ton of red tape and delays.