• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CHP question - Has anyone gotten their CHP within 45 days?

DJEEPER

I had mine in 5 days. yes.... five.

They were processing it but they smeared the ink (coffee i believe) and had to rewrite the form. They called me and corrected/confirmed the information. I asked if it was done, and she said yes, she was going to mail them out "asap". I asked if i could drive down and get it. She said SURE!

So.... with that being said, i wonder how long those completed forms sit in the office waiting to be mailed out.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I had mine in 5 days. yes.... five.

They were processing it but they smeared the ink (coffee i believe) and had to rewrite the form. They called me and corrected/confirmed the information. I asked if it was done, and she said yes, she was going to mail them out "asap". I asked if i could drive down and get it. She said SURE!

So.... with that being said, i wonder how long those completed forms sit in the office waiting to be mailed out.

Interesting question Djeeper...
Considering the fact that the background check can be done in a matter of minutes, why the 45 day wait?

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
The fastest return I've heard of with a CHP was the wife's new CHP after she changed her name when we were married. The City of Lynchburg goofed a portion of her name or address (can't recall which) and she called them up in the afternoon to tell them of the problem. The clerk or clerk's representative took note of the issue and the very next day a new CHP was in the mailbox at our homeplace. I think a self addressed stamped envelope was also included in the letter so that she could send back the CHP with the erroneous information.

Last edited:

hpancho

Received mine in less than 2 weeks. I was surprised at how quickly it came back. Honestly expected 4-6 weeks.

MattS

I had to go to the courthouse on day 47 to find out why mine had not shown up. They had it there and said it was returned by the postal service?? Funny thing is that the envelope was never stamped. The guy behind the desk then made me sign it in front of him, raise my right hand after i showed him my ID and swear that I was the person I said I was/??? :confused: At the time I was not well informed that this is NOT standard practice or I would have made a big deal out of it while i was there. This was chesterfield county, and took place last Febuary.

chammer

Luckily, I just turned in my paperwork yesterday (the 1st) so it'll be easy to keep track of exactly how many days go by. I don't recall seeing anyone post from Newport News so I'm not sure what sort of time frame to expect, but will post when I get mine so we can see! :D

scouser

hunter45 said:
And of course, I did not receive my CHP in 45 days.

Doesn't the receipt for the application become the permit if you don't receive either the actual permit or a denial of issue within the 45 days?

nova

Doesn't the receipt for the application become the permit if you don't receive either the actual permit or a denial of issue within the 45 days?
If the court has not issued the permit or determined that the applicant is disqualified within 45 days of the date of receipt noted on the application, the clerk shall certify on the application that the 45-day period has expired, and send a copy of the certified application to the applicant. The certified application shall serve as a de facto permit, which shall expire 90 days after issuance, and shall be recognized as a valid concealed handgun permit when presented with a valid government-issued photo identification pursuant to subsection H, until the court issues a five-year permit or finds the applicant to be disqualified.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Interesting question Djeeper...
Considering the fact that the background check can be done in a matter of minutes, why the 45 day wait?

The idea that the backround check can be done in a matter of minutes, as mentioned by another poster, too, is a bit abbreviated.

This is not merely the NICS check redone by the clerk.

The backround check can include contacting every jurisdiction you've lived for the last five years checking for outstanding warrants. And, it can include actually visiting your address to confirm it is in fact a residence, not a empty field or abandoned store front. This information from Carol Snow, the deputy clerk in Fairfax County who handles CHP applications. Last time I talked to her (3 years ago?), Fairfax County had a little under 100 applications a month.

Depending on the number of applicants, there can be quite a bit of time processing. Then, its gotta wait on the judge's desk for his approval.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
The idea that the backround check can be done in a matter of minutes, as mentioned by another poster, too, is a bit abbreviated.

This is not merely the NICS check redone by the clerk.

The backround check can include contacting every jurisdiction you've lived for the last five years checking for outstanding warrants. And, it can include actually visiting your address to confirm it is in fact a residence, not a empty field or abandoned store front. This information from Carol Snow, the deputy clerk in Fairfax County who handles CHP applications. Last time I talked to her (3 years ago?), Fairfax County had a little under 100 applications a month.

Depending on the number of applicants, there can be quite a bit of time processing. Then, its gotta wait on the judge's desk for his approval.

That's just an excuse Citizen.
The statute is explicit as to what excludes one from obtaining a CHP. That's why it's "Shall Issue".

Virtually every Venue in the country has warrants on line. A good example is last Saturdays Men with guns call. The cops got a call about us and at the same time the computer brought up an wanted alert for that address, for another person.

Verifying old addresses and checking a current address is just busywork and not required by statute and I have serious doubts if it's even legal under the applicable statute. There may be some delay if someone moves a lot but for most people, they've been in the same location for 5 years or more. A simple DMV check is all they need.

The entire check can be done in under an hour if they don't play games.