• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CHP question - Has anyone gotten their CHP within 45 days?

Blk97F150

From the Virginia State Police website:

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_ResidentConcealed.shtm#IfYourApplicationisNotCompletewithin45Da

If Your Application is Not Complete within 45 Days

If the court has not issued the permit or determined that the applicant is disqualified within 45 days of the date of receipt noted on the application, the clerk shall certify on the application that the 45-day period has expired, and send a copy of the certified application to the applicant. The certified application shall serve as a de facto permit, which shall expire 90 days after issuance, and shall be recognized as a valid concealed handgun permit when presented with a valid government-issued photo identification until the court issues a five-year permit or finds the applicant to be disqualified. If the applicant is found to be disqualified after the de facto permit is issued, the applicant shall surrender the de facto permit to the court and the disqualification shall be deemed a denial of the permit and a revocation of the de facto permit. If the applicant is later found by the court to be disqualified after a five-year permit has been issued, the permit shall be revoked.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
It took about 2 weeks for mine to arrive and the same period for my wife, both of us in Lynchburg. Friends in Bedford Co. have received theirs in about 2 weeks as well; same goes for Amherst Co. and Appomattox Co. Campbell Co. dragged their feet till the last possible day for a friend of mine, but she received it in the mail at around day 46.

FFchris

I got mine in less than two weeks! Although I was switching from a VA non-resident to a VA resident when I moved back.

Jonton

8 days from Loudoun County. It took 3 hours for my background check to clear when I bought my first gun a week earlier, but only 8 days to get my CHP issued. Thought that was strange, but I'm not complaining.

supranite90

Thanks guys for the quick replies. I was just wondering if i was gunna have to wait forever to get my CHP or not. Well I hope it comes in quick for me cuz it only took like 2 min for my background check when I bought both my guns.

hunter45

I am currently on day 40. Still have not received mine.

And I don't think the background check thing has anything to do with the wait time. Mine literally took like 10 seconds.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Thanks guys for the quick replies. I was just wondering if i was gunna have to wait forever to get my CHP or not. Well I hope it comes in quick for me cuz it only took like 2 min for my background check when I bought both my guns.

"Deal with the Devil if the Devil has a constituency - and don't complain about the heat.'

:uhoh:

In other words, don't be in a hurry to sell your soul. The payment will get to you soon enough.:lol:

Last edited: