• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Do I have to show I.D. If I'm Stopped for OC'ing?

str3ngthz

Hello,
I'm sorry if this is a [troll] question everyone already knows but I've searched long and hard to try to answer it on my own.
If I'm stopped by LE while OC'ing, do I have to surrender my I.D. to them if they ask? Please help! If possible provide the statute that says I do or don't, Thanks!

JoeGlock40

i dont know if you have to but i would and do...theres no need to start crap with LEOs.. u respect them and they respect u...u dont need to end up like those idiots on youtube that start crap with LEOs and record it all...all that does is make gun carriers look like idiots and like we think were better than LEOs and thats what makes us look bad to the sheep, which isnt gona help us out when were tryin to get more leniant gun laws..ya support your 2nd amd right but when it comes to dealin with LEOs be smart...this is az where the cops arent pricks about it like other states

Last edited:

ATF Consumer

In Indiana, if stopped, they require you to show your license when asked, but that doesn't mean you have to show other forms of ID, such as your driver's license.
It really sucks that LEO can just come up and ask for your papers, like as if it were Germany in the early 1940's.
They use the same old routine of saying, "We don't know who you are and why you are carrying around a gun."
So, just because you choose to exercise one of your rights, they feel they can stop you just because they feel like it.
It shouldn't be any different than if you were driving...they normally don't stop drivers that have done nothing wrong...why stop an open carrier? Like as if a criminal is going to open carry a firearm to give themselves away...the logic they use is full of brown!

SFCRetired

i dont know if you have to but i would and do...theres no need to start crap with LEOs.. u respect them and they respect u...u dont need to end up like those idiots on youtube that start crap with LEOs and record it all...all that does is make gun carriers look like idiots and like we think were better than LEOs and thats what makes us look bad to the sheep, which isnt gona help us out when were tryin to get more leniant gun laws..ya support your 2nd amd right but when it comes to dealin with LEOs be smart...this is az where the cops arent pricks about it like other states

1. Depends on the state whether or not ID is required. Here in Alabama it is not unless you are driving.
2. The cop started the crap by trying to interrogate me for having the audacity to engage in a legal activity.
3. If you conduct yourself calmly and politely during such an encounter, it makes the cop look like the idiot and not the LAC. That definitely helps get more lenient gun laws when evidence of such is presented to your legislators.
4. You cannot support just your Second Amendment-guaranteed right without supporting the others. In this case, your right against unreasonable search and seizure.
5. I have absolutely no interest in making a video of a cop and posting it on YouTube. I will, however, have a digital voice recorder going. That audio will only be shared with the cop's superiors or, if necessary, my lawyer.

In summary: I am a free man. The police officer, despite what he thinks, is no more nor no less than I am. His badge and uniform do not give him the authority to demand my identification just to satisfy his curiosity.

JoeGlock40

1. Depends on the state whether or not ID is required. Here in Alabama it is not unless you are driving.
2. The cop started the crap by trying to interrogate me for having the audacity to engage in a legal activity.
3. If you conduct yourself calmly and politely during such an encounter, it makes the cop look like the idiot and not the LAC. That definitely helps get more lenient gun laws when evidence of such is presented to your legislators.
4. You cannot support just your Second Amendment-guaranteed right without supporting the others. In this case, your right against unreasonable search and seizure.
5. I have absolutely no interest in making a video of a cop and posting it on YouTube. I will, however, have a digital voice recorder going. That audio will only be shared with the cop's superiors or, if necessary, my lawyer.

In summary: I am a free man. The police officer, despite what he thinks, is no more nor no less than I am. His badge and uniform do not give him the authority to demand my identification just to satisfy his curiosity.

but if someone does a guy with a gun call he does have a right to ask for id and question u

JoeGlock40

and the whole criminals dont OC was busted once in tucson, a prohibited possessor was OC a gun around his apts when goin on walks and the neighbors got scared and somehow ATF or Dea got involved and when they confronted the guy outside his front door, they got into a shootout and killed the guy..so once in awhile BGs do OC

SFCRetired

but if someone does a guy with a gun call he does have a right to ask for id and question u
Maybe in Arizona he does. But to be totally correct, it is not his "right", it is under color of his authority. I have the right, as a free man, to refuse to show him anything in the way of documents.

Here, all I am obligated to do, by law, is to tell him my name and address and an account of my actions. There is no legal obligation to show him any ID unless I am either driving or carrying concealed. If the later, I want to know how someone knew I had a gun.

It is rare that criminals will OC. The very last thing they want is to call attention to themselves. OC is still uncommon enough that it stands out like a sore thumb almost everywhere.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
Sure he has a right to ASK you! As far as I know you have a right to decline. Asking is not demanding...

u respect them and they respect u
Demanding papers for doing nothing wrong is respecting you? Looks like you have done nothing wrong and he is snooping his nose around looking for an excuse to bust you. Doesn't seem like he is repsecting you by digging through your business looking for stuff...

aadvark

Arizona has a Stop and Identify Law for a Persons' Name only, without any further Requirement.

Arizona Revised Statute 13-2412. Refusing to Provide Truthful Name when Lawfully Detained; Classification
A. It is Unlawful for a Person, after being Advised that The Person's Refusal to Answer is Unlawful, to Fail or Refuse to State The Person's True Full Name on Request of a Peace Officer who has Lawfully Detained The Person based on Reasonable Suspicion that The Person has Committed, is Committing[,] or is about to Commit a Crime. A Person Detained under This Section shall State The Person's True Full Name, but shall NOT be Compelled to Answer ANY other Inquiry of a Peace Officer.
B. A Person who Violates This Section is Guilty of a Class 2 Misdemeanor.

TOF

You asked the question in the Arizona Forum so I expect you want to know about Arizona rather than Florida, California etc.

In Arizona you will most likely not be asked for Id. just because of OCing a gun. I will not say it can't happen but is very unlikely. Our LEO's have been operating under the condition that it is lawfull for people to OC in most places. If you brandish and someone complains they will probably ask but if you act like a normal citizen they will at most ask what gun you are carrying as many gun enthusiast would do.

Don't do something you ought not to and our LEO's will not bother you.

Thoreau

That logic suggests that if someone calls the cops on you for driving a car, the cop now gets to go pull you over and check your license.

Perhaps if I'm riding my bicycle on a park trail and someone calls the cops with a 'man with a bike' call the cops again get to perform a search?

Last edited:

amzbrady

You give up your 4th Amendment to protect your 2nd Amendment??? :uhoh:
You start the crap by the cop walking up to you and asking you for ID??? :shocker:
You really believe they are going to respect you because you gave up your rights to them?:lol:
No it makes gun carriers look like they know the laws, and will not give up our rights to appease the LEO. :banghead:
I dont know too many gun owners who think they are better than LEO, just dont want to have to rely on LEO.:idea:
Responsible gun owners who know their rights and are able to deal with LEO and if confronted do not back down, and if problems arise, these problems are addressed thru their superiors by getting them to issue training bulletins. Staying strong and sticking together is how you get more leniant gun laws. :cuss:

amzbrady

and the whole criminals dont OC was busted once in tucson, a prohibited possessor was OC a gun around his apts when goin on walks and the neighbors got scared and somehow ATF or Dea got involved and when they confronted the guy outside his front door, they got into a shootout and killed the guy..so once in awhile BGs do OC

Please post a link...

Last edited:

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
Start crap with LEOs? they're the ones approaching and demanding ID for a non-criminal behavior that is none of their business.

If a LEO demands ID from you for no reason, or states a perfectly legal activity as his/her reason; the crap has already been started; BY THE LEO. Beyond that, you deserve what you tolerate.

You shouldn't have to assert your Rights, they should be respected. If a LEO starts crap with you, well, it's your choice. But I'd suggest not putting up with it.

Fallschirjmäger

He has just as much right to stop someone for a "man with a gun" call as he does for a "man with a ham sandwich" or "man wearing white after Labor Day" call.
He has a right to ask any question of you he wants, your identity, your address, whether or not you want to come back to his place and rub penises together....

He just lacks the authority, unless there is evidence of criminal action.

Tucker6900

With all due respect, those idiots on youtube are standing up for their rights, and the rights of others. If you decide to not exercize your rights then that is your choice and your choice alone. Just remember that every time you give in to their unlawful requests, you make them "stronger".

Jared

Yeah, kind of like they guy in Philadelphia who immediately offered up his PA LTCF... he still got violated and they threatened to kill him. He had a recorder because the Philadelphia PD ALREADY confiscated his gun in the past for open carrying so he was smart enough to have a recorder this time.

If you ever carry openly outside of Arizona (where it's safe to do so) you may have a different opinion. Some LEO's hate open carry and will hassle (or try to) no matter what you do, this has happened in Michigan.

Tucker6900

Yeah, kind of like they guy in Philadelphia who immediately offered up his PA LTCF... he still got violated and they threatened to kill him. He had a recorder because the Philadelphia PD ALREADY confiscated his gun in the past for open carrying so he was smart enough to have a recorder this time.

+1000
Just another reason to deny them any information that is not relevant.

xmanhockey7

I have not had an encounter but it'd first ask if I was being detained if the answer is no I'd be on my way. If yes I'd ask for what crime am I being detained for. If they say open carry or b/c you have a gun etc I'd tell them that open carry is legal in Michigan and they can only detain me if they have rs. If theu make up bs rs then I will tell them I'm going to exercise my 5th amendment right and remain silent. If they choose to arrest me that's fine ill just see them in court. If they let me go I'll file a complain against the officers. I have no problem with police just the ones who decide they're gonn stop me for doing something legal.

Last edited: