• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

AB-282 Omnibus bill

nomidlname

Gotta be honest here. In it's current configuration I hope it fails. It removed the $25 cap and mandated renewal fingerprinting. And it doesn't give us anything except a fee waiver on NICS back ground checks. Doesn't seem like a good trade off to me...

2. An application for the renewal of a permit must:
(a) Be completed and signed under oath by the applicant;
(b) Contain a statement that the applicant is eligible to receive a permit
pursuant to NRS 202.3657; [and]
(c) Be accompanied by a nonrefundable fee equal to the nonvolunteer rate
charged by the Central Repository for Nevada Records of Criminal History and
the Federal Bureau of Investigation to obtain the reports required pursuant to
subsection 1 of NRS 202.366; and
(d) Be accompanied by a nonrefundable fee of $25.
 If a permittee fails to renew his or her permit on or before the date of expiration
of the permit, the application for renewal must include an additional nonrefundable
late fee of $15.

Last edited:

Nevada carrier

To be honest, I'm satisfied that we got "any semi-auto," and confidentiality from another bill. getting the NICS exemption would have been nice, but not by trading away a regulated price for CCW renewal. I'm not comfortable giving someone blanket authorization to set the fee at whatever price they like. The fact remains that our county sheriff is against citizens carrying firearms, the only reason he issues permits is because he has to. If they get their foot in the door on the fee, they'll make it prohibitively expensive for people to get them. This is the tact Chicago is taking. "If we have to allow it, we'll just make it so no one can afford it."

nomidlname

So... this is dead now?

current status as of this morning is...

Jun 06, 2011
Conference report adopted by Senate.
To printer.
From printer. To reengrossment. Reengrossed. Fifth reprint .
To enrollment.

nomidlname

dammit. So not only did they remove the $25 cap while leaving the mandantory $25 fee but they added additional fees on top of that as well as the redundant, expensinve, and unnecessary renewal fingerprinting. Awesome!

But hey! you might be able to get your NICS fee waived if you buy another firearm. renewal... $200+ or NICS fee $25 bucks. As Charlie Sheen said.... "WINNING"

Last edited:

Nevada carrier

So metro has 12 days to figure out how to handle people whom already have a semi auto on their permit but want to carry one that is not listed. I know the NSCA says your okay so long as you have one listed, but if anyone can remember back to when revolvers made this transition, every other county was fine with you carrying any revolver, but metro wanted people to pay $25 to re-certify on one, then have the new permit reissued showing "--- REVOLVERS AUTHORIZED---"

My guess is that metro will do the same thing here, just to get $25 from everyone.

varminter22

So metro has 12 days to figure out how to handle people whom already have a semi auto on their permit but want to carry one that is not listed. I know the NSCA says your okay so long as you have one listed, but if anyone can remember back to when revolvers made this transition, every other county was fine with you carrying any revolver, but metro wanted people to pay $25 to re-certify on one, then have the new permit reissued showing "--- REVOLVERS AUTHORIZED---"

My guess is that metro will do the same thing here, just to get $25 from everyone.

I would opine there is nothing to figure out.

I would refer them to their NSCA Executive Director Frank Adams' testimony.

I

inNV

I read through the bill, where does it say that CCW holders will be exempt from the NICS when purchasing a handgun? I read it says that the Sheriff must include a NICS upon new or renewal of CCW, but Metro did that anyway. And if I remember correctly, wasn't it BATFE that barred NV from the NICS exemption? So what would a state law do about that? Also, if it is true, it does go into affect on July 1st, correct?

wrightme

I read through the bill, where does it say that CCW holders will be exempt from the NICS when purchasing a handgun? I read it says that the Sheriff must include a NICS upon new or renewal of CCW, but Metro did that anyway. And if I remember correctly, wasn't it BATFE that barred NV from the NICS exemption? So what would a state law do about that? Also, if it is true, it does go into affect on July 1st, correct?

It doesn't. Legislation will not cause the NICS exemption to be restored. The ATF has to restore it based upon the CCW permit process.

Last edited:

varminter22

Yep. Mr Wright is correct.

If you look back at the history, you'll see the exemption was removed because NV law did not have the same requirements for a renewal as for an initial permit (NICS check.)

All seventeen NV sheriffs signed a memorandum of understanding with the BATFE stating renewals would be treated the same and we had the exemption restored for a couple of years.

We did not get corrective legislation in 2009, so the exemption was removed.

Now, effective July 1, 2011, NV law has been corrected. And we can again apply for the exemption.

I

inNV

Yep. Mr Wright is correct.

If you look back at the history, you'll see the exemption was removed because NV law did not have the same requirements for a renewal as for an initial permit (NICS check.)

All seventeen NV sheriffs signed a memorandum of understanding with the BATFE stating renewals would be treated the same and we had the exemption restored for a couple of years.

We did not get corrective legislation in 2009, so the exemption was removed.

Now, effective July 1, 2011, NV law has been corrected. And we can again apply for the exemption.

Ahh, I see. I was wondering where the NRA was getting that from, but that makes sense. So, starting July 1st, NV can apply to be allowed on the exemption list, so in other words, if I buy a firearm on July 2nd, I would have to do the NICS check..until BAFTE approves it, assuming NV applies?

Just wondering because I put a gun on layaway (found a good deal, and needed to sell other firearm first) and would just wait to pick it up if I can avoid spending the extra money.

varminter22

Ahh, I see. I was wondering where the NRA was getting that from, but that makes sense. So, starting July 1st, NV can apply to be allowed on the exemption list, so in other words, if I buy a firearm on July 2nd, I would have to do the NICS check..until BAFTE approves it, assuming NV applies?

Just wondering because I put a gun on layaway (found a good deal, and needed to sell other firearm first) and would just wait to pick it up if I can avoid spending the extra money.

Correct. Our law has been amended (eff July 1) to meet the BATFE requirements.

BUT it will take some time to actually get the NICS exemption restored. How long? Good question!

The NSCA claims they must vote to apply for the NICS exemption. And they don't meet until July 21.

Why? Why must the NSCA (a NV non-profit corporation) conduct a vote on whether or not to apply for the exemption? Another good question.

Our legislature has given the NSCA (a NV non-profit corporation) the authority to administer the CCW program. (And I have an opinion on that!)

But if our law now meets the BATFE requirements, WHY is a vote needed?

Why can't they simply shoot a letter to BATFE stating we now meet the requirements and request NICS exemption restoral for NV?

CowboyKen

Correct. Our law has been amended (eff July 1) to meet the BATFE requirements.

BUT it will take some time to actually get the NICS exemption restored. How long? Good question!

The NSCA claims they must vote to apply for the NICS exemption. And they don't meet until July 21.

Why? Why must the NSCA (a NV non-profit corporation) conduct a vote on whether or not to apply for the exemption? Another good question.

Our legislature has given the NSCA (a NV non-profit corporation) the authority to administer the CCW program. (And I have an opinion on that!)

But if our law now meets the BATFE requirements, WHY is a vote needed?

Why can't they simply shoot a letter to BATFE stating we now meet the requirements and request NICS exemption restoral for NV?

Larry,

Why don't you, in your capacity with Stillwater, "shoot a letter to BATFE stating we now meet the requirements and request NICS exemption restoral for NV," and see what happens? Just wondering if that would work.

Ken

wrightme