• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"Police officers are the only ones that should be allowed to carry..."

kawisixer01

Interesting how there has been yet another police officer that has lost it and used his duty weapon to go on a rampage. After all they "are the only ones properly trained, and who have been properly vetted" to carry arms in society. This time in Roanoke VA.
"http://www.policeone.com/officer-shootings/articles/3740323-Va-deputy-kills-ex-wife-shoots-state-trooper/"

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
Yep, ONLY Police Should Have Guns....

Snip: "Agee followed his ex-wife’s vehicle in the parking lot and shot her multiple times with a rifle, Johnson said. She said Jennifer Agee died at Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital. "

He shot his ex wife with a rifle. Wow, he was actually in his police cruiser following her and shot her in the parking lot with his service rifle. Then his patrol car is stopped by a state trooper and another shootout happens. Must have been interesting to see cops in uniform shooting at each other.

So sad.

aj45acp

I've heard this statement many times.

Last fall when I was talking to an officer in my driveway (yes, I was open carrying) about my FFL application and if he could finger print me, he noticed my sidearm and said to me, "you have a gun." I said yes I do......

At some point in our conversation, I said to him, you have a gun, why can't I have one? (something to that effect) and his response was "Well, I'm a trained police officer."

I thought that statement was a bit funny. In the late 80's, I went to college for law enforement and I rode with the officers of the Hastings, MN Police Dept. during my internship. I also participated in their dept. shoot both in June and July. I had never done that before and at the time I had a S&W model 686 revolver and no speed loaders. The course was the same for both months and it was timed. The first time (June shoot) I failed by 15 rounds. Surprisingly, some officers failed as well. The dept. shoot in July, again, the same course, same timing and the same gun without speed loaders, I passed and again, surprisingly, some officers failed.

Just because someone is a police officer and trained, doesn't necessarily mean they are good with a firearm!

I practice with every one of my firearms on a regular basis and I know I'm just as good with a firearm if not better, than any "trained" officer.

Tony

technician

During the Wausau hearing on concealed carry the first speaker (a police officer who was very pro constitutional carry) stated that police officers in WI are NOT required to take any firearms training. Hopefully I'm quoting that correctly, I don't have the video on hand to verify.

Also don't forget what happened in Crandon. Law Enforcement isn't immune from the crazies either...

But then again all the anti-Constitutionalists put the blinders on when it comes to facts and logic.

phred

During the Wausau hearing on concealed carry the first speaker (a police officer who was very pro constitutional carry) stated that police officers in WI are NOT required to take any firearms training. Hopefully I'm quoting that correctly, I don't have the video on hand to verify.

Also don't forget what happened in Crandon. Law Enforcement isn't immune from the crazies either...

But then again all the anti-Constitutionalists put the blinders on when it comes to facts and logic.

I heard him too and what I heard is that police get firearms training but there is not a standard level of proficiency (in many if not most police jurisdictions) that they have to achieve. In some places they need a certain proficiency rating, while in other places they simply show familiarity with the gun, if that. Small towns and remote areas are the places probably most lacking, unless a particular officer has the interests and the skills.

M

McX

Go to first new post "Police officers are the only ones that should be allowed to carry..." because they are just so much better than any and all of us!

technician

I heard him too and what I heard is that police get firearms training but there is not a standard level of proficiency (in many if not most police jurisdictions) that they have to achieve. In some places they need a certain proficiency rating, while in other places they simply show familiarity with the gun, if that. Small towns and remote areas are the places probably most lacking, unless a particular officer has the interests and the skills.

Sounds more like it. My father was shocked after the speaker finished, it was a real eye opener, and I hope the senators and the rest of the public were paying attention.

Last edited:

safcrkr

I wish I could find the old article from the Vilas County News from about 4 years ago... "Eagle River officer fires over backstop during training exercise... .45acp bullet goes through rear window of Chevy Suburban in Pamida store parking lot, 3/4 mile away. No injuries reported".

Backstops are 20' high earthen berms.

Last edited:

technician

I wish I could find the old article from the Vilas County News from about 4 years ago... "Eagle River officer fires over backstop during training exercise... .45acp bullet goes through rear window of Chevy Suburban in Pamida store parking lot, 3/4 mile away. No injuries reported".

Backstops are 20' high earthen berms.

That reminds me, an officer discharged his weapon inside Lakeland Union Highschool in Minocqua a few years back. Trigger "got caught on his gear" if I remember it right.

:p

oak1971

They are required to have 24 hours of training per year, a small fraction of which is firearms related.

oak1971

165.85(4)(bn)1.
1. No person other than an officer elected by popular vote may continue as a law enforcement or tribal law enforcement officer, except on a temporary or probationary basis, unless that person completes annual recertification training. Any officer elected by popular vote who is also a certified officer must complete annual recertification training to maintain certification. Any officer who is subject to this subdivision shall complete at least 24 hours each fiscal year beginning in the fiscal year following the fiscal year in which he or she complies with par. (b) 1.

Last edited:

mark-in-texas

I've been shooting IDPA for 15 yrs and the only 2 times I've ever seen some one asked to leave the range and don't come back were both cops! If I went to every local match, every month, I'd fire probably 500 rounds. Most cops don't shoot that much in 5 years!

OldCurlyWolf

I've been shooting IDPA for 15 yrs and the only 2 times I've ever seen some one asked to leave the range and don't come back were both cops! If I went to every local match, every month, I'd fire probably 500 rounds. Most cops don't shoot that much in 5 years!

And then there are the ones like Sam Lee(He died a few years back) who not only didn't have to count their score(he just counted X's) but stressed safe handling so hard that you did not want to get on his bad side on the range(Rangemaster). All instructors should be so good

:cool:

Brion

I am a very very firm believer that unless you can proove you are better at (fill in the blank) than me, you get to **** and move on. Call it a pride thing, but under normal surcumstances I can learn something about everything from anybody, but to make a blanket statement like that only makes me put up a wall. If you walk in the door and don't have something to offer me, I got nothing to offer you.

The only exception to any of this would be a coach or a team leader. They are trying to do a job. And that job deals more with the find your talent, harness your talent and bring out the best in you.

"I'm a trained Police Officer." ****, GTFO! This is why I want to do IDPA/USPSA. So I can walk into any police training range and have the LEOs that say "I'm a trained Police Officer" put their bullet wear their mouth is.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
"I'm a trained Police Officer." ****, GTFO! This is why I want to do IDPA/USPSA. So I can walk into any police training range and have the LEOs that say "I'm a trained Police Officer" put their bullet wear their mouth is.

Unfortunately, that isn't hard to do most of the time. LEOs are under budget and time constraints - unless they have a highly motivated personal interest, most shoot a lost less than many here.