• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OCing Around Home

Hunting Mama

Not deep enough in the Woods, Wisconsin, USA
I have gotten in the habit of keeping my pistol close at hand while around home. Let me tell you, it has come in handy when unwanted visitors showed up and ignored my posted signs and gate at the end of the driveway.

For the longest time I had issues with the Jehovha's (sp?) coming to my home. I politely paid them lip service and asked them never to come back, I have my own beliefs. Do they respect my wishes, heck NO! You would think that my 2 german shep's that were getting agitated because I wasn't happy would have been a deterant, oh no. So the next time they showed up I had my .45 on my hip and politely told them they were not welcome here. Now, they don't show up if I am home, only when my truck is gone and they see the hubby outside. So frustrating!

One other time I was out behind our home digging worms with my very young daughters when a man came around the corner of the house. His eyes bugged out when I got up and he saw the pistol on my hip. I instructed the kids to go inside and asked him what he wanted. He said he was from an assessors office and was there to assess my property for the town. He just needed a quick look around. At this point I was livid because I knew the gate was closed on the driveway (a few hundred yards long) and he came in anyways and he didn't make an appointment. I ever so nicely asked him to leave and if he was really from the assessors office they can call to make an appointment. I was not just going to let him scope out my property, I don't know that this guy is who he says he is, especially with my daughters around. Needless to say he wasn't very happy because he would have to make a special trip back to the area, but that wasn't my problem.

Before I sent him on his way I was sure to let him know that he had NO right to ignore my gate and signs and just enter my property. And that next time I won't be so nice.

I did check out the company and they did call to make an appointment. When he came back I was still armed and he made it real quick. ;) I do believe he won't be showing up here again without an appointment!

It would be real nice if people would respect other people and their property a wee bit more.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
I OC at home all the time. As soon as I get home I have glock on my hip till I go to sleep.

OldCurlyWolf

I have gotten in the habit of keeping my pistol close at hand while around home. Let me tell you, it has come in handy when unwanted visitors showed up and ignored my posted signs and gate at the end of the driveway.

For the longest time I had issues with the Jehovha's (sp?) coming to my home. I politely paid them lip service and asked them never to come back, I have my own beliefs. Do they respect my wishes, heck NO! You would think that my 2 german shep's that were getting agitated because I wasn't happy would have been a deterant, oh no. So the next time they showed up I had my .45 on my hip and politely told them they were not welcome here. Now, they don't show up if I am home, only when my truck is gone and they see the hubby outside. So frustrating!

One other time I was out behind our home digging worms with my very young daughters when a man came around the corner of the house. His eyes bugged out when I got up and he saw the pistol on my hip. I instructed the kids to go inside and asked him what he wanted. He said he was from an assessors office and was there to assess my property for the town. He just needed a quick look around. At this point I was livid because I knew the gate was closed on the driveway (a few hundred yards long) and he came in anyways and he didn't make an appointment. I ever so nicely asked him to leave and if he was really from the assessors office they can call to make an appointment. I was not just going to let him scope out my property, I don't know that this guy is who he says he is, especially with my daughters around. Needless to say he wasn't very happy because he would have to make a special trip back to the area, but that wasn't my problem.

Before I sent him on his way I was sure to let him know that he had NO right to ignore my gate and signs and just enter my property. And that next time I won't be so nice.

I did check out the company and they did call to make an appointment. When he came back I was still armed and he made it real quick. ;) I do believe he won't be showing up here again without an appointment!

It would be real nice if people would respect other people and their property a wee bit more.

Way to go.

I had a problem with the local building department entering my property a few years back. After a discussion with the supervisors of that department, I left after saying, the next person of your department who steps on my property without either my permission or a court order will be charged with criminal trespass. So far no problems, but we will see.:cool:

Aknazer

I OC around the home all the time (its the only place I can legally do so for the most part). I've answered the door multiple times like that and every person who noticed at least acted approving of it. I was actually surprised by their actions given that its illegal to OC in public here. It's actually been friends and family who have been more alarmed by it. My mother-in-law even asked my wife when I wasn't around "what's up with that cowboy crap?" But then again she left 10 days into a 30 day trip because we didn't agree on a LOT of things.

Hunting Mama

It is great to hear others stories about OCing around home.

For me it seems to be the people that don't know me that think I am way in left field with this issue. I have never been one to be quiet about things I believe in, so everyone that knows me would expect this out of me. Not to say that I haven't had a few discussions on why I have my pistol at hand. With that said everyone that I have talked to that knows me, knows that I am not a loony tune gun fanatic and that I am anal about safety, so it becomes a non-issue fast.

Keep it up everyone!

HKcarrier

I OC at my house almost all the time. Police budget cuts... crime incidents in the area... 100% of home invasions happen in the home.. ;)

Figure I might as well protect what is mine and who I love.

stickbow95

If I had a closed gate and "No Trespassing" signs posted, I would be LIVID to see someone walking up to my house uninvited.

I am surprised to hear that you have problems with Jehovah's Witnesses (correct name) returning after they have been told not to. I am rather familiar with them as I have family that belong. I know they are supposed to obey "no trespassing" signs. They also keep a list of addresses that do not want them to call, and respect it. As far as the gun, there are a great number that hunt and own guns, and have no problem with guns.

zack991

I OC around the home all the time (its the only place I can legally do so for the most part). I've answered the door multiple times like that and every person who noticed at least acted approving of it. I was actually surprised by their actions given that its illegal to OC in public here. It's actually been friends and family who have been more alarmed by it. My mother-in-law even asked my wife when I wasn't around "what's up with that cowboy crap?" But then again she left 10 days into a 30 day trip because we didn't agree on a LOT of things.

My farther in-law is banned from even stepping onto my property, if my wifes mother comes for a visit he knows to drop her off and leave asap. He is not welcome period. Any person who cheats on their significant other even one time deserves to be shunned, but a person who does this 6 times then has the gal to blame his wife for his actions deserves much worse. That is one of many things he has done that I would leave him broken and bruised for. My wife is the only one who still speaks to him while myself and the rest of his kids feel the same as I do.

Last edited:

MR Redenck

In Texas, the assessors can only do a HWY appraisal, they cant come on your property.
Im pretty pissy about any local or state employees stepping foot on my property. Im friends with a few cops and their welcome anytime, but if it's official business, you better ask first or have a warrant.
I have a shop in town and I actually sent the PD a letter telling them to just stay away from that place. I got tired of them minding my business. One time I went by there at midnight one night and some PD guy just walks right in giving me all kinds of crap.
I like privacy and expect everyone to respect it.

Hunting Mama

All I know is that I respect others peoples signs and gates, I just wish they would respect mine! Needless to say, I haven't seen the assessor come back after his appointment.

A funny story, about a month ago 1 of my neighbors stopped down and both of my shep's kept circling his truck until I came out. They wouldn't let him out until I said it was okay. You just gotta love that early warning system. I'd feel sorry for anyone who came by with bad intentions. 1st they would have to get past my very loyal dogs, then past me. All I know is that they would have a hard time making it out if they made it to stage #2, operative word "if"! ;)

j4l

All I know is that I respect others peoples signs and gates, I just wish they would respect mine! Needless to say, I haven't seen the assessor come back after his appointment.

A funny story, about a month ago 1 of my neighbors stopped down and both of my shep's kept circling his truck until I came out. They wouldn't let him out until I said it was okay. You just gotta love that early warning system. I'd feel sorry for anyone who came by with bad intentions. 1st they would have to get past my very loyal dogs, then past me. All I know is that they would have a hard time making it out if they made it to stage #2, operative word "if"! ;)

Posted in a diff. thread, same topic, but-if someone's out there to do harm-they might not hesistate to just shoot the dogs. Happened to me-they killed mine when it began barking to alert me to their approach. Not fun at all.

xxx.jakk.xxx

I OC at home constantly. You can never be too careful. Also, for those people who say that they're carrying as long as their clothed, I have a solution for the rest of the time.

If you have a paddle holster lying around, try hooking it onto the small rope handle on the side of your mattress. It should be about 1 1/2 to 2ft from the head of the bed. This keeps it right on the side of the bed for if you need it quickly and it is hidden under your covers as if you were CCing while naked. I feel a bit more secure sleeping with it there rather than on a bedside table since if I happen to sleep through the BG entering my room, I can still be the first one to it rather than him finding my firearm first.

hogeaterf6

I do at home. I also have a rifle close by. I usually shoot birds so the gun is around anyway anytime I'm outside. If its hot and I'm working outside, its layed up close by. Gonna try and bale hay next week with it on.

MKEgal

Aknazer said:
My mother-in-law even asked my wife when I wasn't around "what's up with that cowboy crap?"
In OK? That's one of the few states I'd sort of expect "cowboy" to be accepted.
Not that carrying = cowboy, mind you, but to some people it does.

Freedom First

Wake up, stand up, pull on pants and stick a firearm on my hip. Long before the shoes...

You know, 100% of home invasions happen at the home.

EricDailey X-NRA

Digital Witness

I have gotten in the habit of keeping my pistol close at hand while around home. Let me tell you, it has come in handy when unwanted visitors showed up and ignored my posted signs and gate at the end of the driveway....

Have you considered using a voice recorder for evidence?

Badger Johnson

Wake up, stand up, pull on pants and stick a firearm on my hip. Long before the shoes...

You know, 100% of home invasions happen at the home.

I don't think we needed to know... :shocker: ... you sleep commando-style and I don't mean tactical commando. :)

I sleep in a sleeveless tanktop, and legged speedo-style (not high cut) bottoms (I often go jump in our pool upon awakening. I can tuck my HG in the waistband of the shorts, or put on a Hawaiian shirt and in the shirt pocket, grab my tactical bandoleer (Cell, flashlight, binocs, spare clip and BUG) and tactical camo-cane and I'm ready in seconds. No jumping around, keys jangling, hopping on one foot getting pants on. Swift, silent, deadly and no tactical holes in the carry gear package)

$.02

Butch00

Under my NO TRESPASSING sign.
I have a : LAND USE FEE $7500 U.S.D., Per Use, Per Day, Per Individual, Payable on demand.