• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Community Service

golddigger14s

Activist Member
I love the coffee get togethers, but it seems like we are just pouring money into Starbucks and getting little effect. I think maybe doing some community service might have a more beneficial effect. It is kind of late notice but this Saturday is national Trails Day, so I'm going to the Woodland Community Park from 10-12 (BBQ afterwards) to help pull weeds and spread wood chips.

Lacey is one of the areas where the signs in the parks say "no weapons". Awhile back I spoke to the parks director and they almost immediately agreed that violated pre-emption. They don't have the money to change the signs, but have instructed the police department to not mess with us. So I figure the least I could do was give back to my community.

I called the park director and told her who I was and if there was still time to register (food headcount, liability, etc.), she yes and to invite others in our group.

The parks address is 6729 Pacific Ave, if anybody wants to join I can meet at Cutter Point Coffee ( 1340 Marvin Road NE by Best Buy & Home Depot) at 0915 and we can convoy from there.

Email address to send registration: LFlemm@ci.lacey.wa.us

Here is the website to register:

http://www.ci.lacey.wa.us/city-gove...ks-and-recreation/volunteer-opportunities#ntd

I had to print out page 3, scan it and then send it.

Last edited:

massivedesign

Fantastic Idea! Unfortunately, this Sat I will be in Seattle..

OCDO also has a highway dedication, and there used to be a monthly cleanup on the FW. I think that has been placed on hold while "our" section of FW is under repair?

Bill Starks

State Researcher
Last edited:

jt59

I love the coffee get togethers, but it seems like we are just pouring money into Starbucks and getting little effect. I think maybe doing some community service might have a more beneficial effect. It is kind of late notice but this Saturday is national Trails Day, so I'm going to the Woodland Community Park from 10-12 (BBQ afterwards) to help pull weeds and spread wood chips.

Lacey is one of the areas where the signs in the parks say "no weapons". Awhile back I spoke to the parks director and they almost immediately agreed that violated pre-emption. They don't have the money to change the signs, but have instructed the police department to not mess with us. So I figure the least I could do was give back to my community.

Just a little OT, but I have been holding Pierce county parks to task on implementation of the county parks code revision and sign replacement, since I started on Chambers Creek last August. I will not let it alone until they get it done and have been in direct contact with Mr. Muri and Roger Bush the PC Council Chair.

There is funding for sign replacement that is available in Pierce County that Leslie Smalley (Muri's ass't) identified that has made the "lack of budget" issue moot here. So, there may be a corresponding funding mechanism available in Thurston county as well.

Here it is:

"Good afternoon JT59,
>
> I have done some research on the sign issue and there is money in the current budget for the Pierce County Fire Arms Commission to replace/add signs, which is part of their directive.
>

> Because Public Works does not handle them they were most likely unaware of the fund availability.
>
> I am forwarding your email to Sean Gaffney of Planning and Land Services who chairs the FAC. He will look into getting the signs made and posted.
>
> We appreciate your email on this issue and will contact you when it has been taken care of."

It may be some info that you can use in your end of the world. They have to replace 28 signs at Chambers Creek at a cost of 1,400.00.

I suggested duct tape or a permanent marker...for about .10 and voluteered to do it, but she declined.

Good luck.

.45ACPaddy

If the signs have vinyl letters stuck on a metal surface, a razor blade would easily remove them for less than the cost of duct tape or paint.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
I spend a great deal of time at Bloedel Donovan park in B'ham. I know a lot of you were at the barbeque a few years ago. The "don't do this and don't do that" sign is right at the entrance. Line # 7 USED to say "no weapons, etc, etc...". The park people just painted it out. No new sign, no additional cost. The park guys used low tech (duct tape) stuff on some of them. The signs will eventually need to be replaced( and updated), but what is wrong with just taking out the "offending line"?

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Woodland Park

Well I spent two hours spreading mulch at the park. One guy asked if I was a LEO, I said no and he said "so you carry it for fun?". I'm like a no I don't carry it for fun I have it for the same reason I have smoke detectors: Just in case. (Not quite sure if he liked that answer) Another volunteer passed or group and said "Oh this must be a chain gang, he has a gun. Hey Keith you better run, or he's going to shoot you!". Oh well no actual negatives spoken out loud at least, and none of the kids ran screaming.

After we were done I was standing in line a Lacey PD leaned up against his car across the street from me and never said a word. I wish I had brought my camera so I could have gotten a picture of me standing next to the sign which has the no weapons rule. Oh well good day in the sun, now I get to try and get my yard under control yeah.