Thread: Cops With Bad Attitudes

Cops With Bad Attitudes

This, in today's (5/31/2011) Daily Press.

There are just some things you want to know about. One of them is whether you have cops with bad attitudes.

For that reason, a policy some police departments are adopting to keep officers with dark sides from revealing them is a bad idea. Instead of censoring the expression of ideas that are bad news in people with guns and authority, officials should want to get wind of them, so they can address them.

But some officials are more concerned about protecting the image of their departments than with protecting the public. So they tell employees not to post anything online that would "reflect badly" on the department.

Read the rest at: http://www.dailypress.com/news/dp-nw...3377746.column
    A law-abiding citizen should be able to carry his personal protection firearm anywhere that an armed criminal might go.

Member VCDL, NRA

I'm not sure I have much, if any, heartburn with the concepts discussed in the story. I was much more afraid that I was going to read that LEAs were trying to put brakes on the "public policy commenting" issue that protects public employees who write letters to the editor/blog about screwups within their own agency.

As for the "advice" given - do not post anything to the internet that would bring discredit on you or your agency? I read that more as a different way of saying "Don't be a jerk" than "Just don't brag on line about being a jerk". Maybe that's because I have a deep and abiding faith that the jerks out there will not follow the "Don't brag on line" advice no matter how often it is repeated. It is as if there is an inate drive to document the extent of their jerkitude, and I'm eternally grateful for that.

stay safe.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 2a4all View Post
    So they tell employees not to post anything online that would "reflect badly" on the department.

Read the rest at: http://www.dailypress.com/news/dp-nw...3377746.column
    Fairfax musta not accepted that policy..Huh!

I thought they give cops psychological tests before hiring to make sure they have bad attitudes. It's always amazed me how many sensible people get through that testing phase and become cops anyway (of course, they don't last long on the job).
    Last edited by user; 05-31-2011 at 07:36 PM.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Quote Originally Posted by user View Post
    I thought they give cops psychological tests before hiring to make sure they have bad attitudes. It's always amazed me how many sensible people get through that testing phase and become cops anyway (of course, they don't last long on the job).
    They do give testing to screen LEOs. If you score higher than about 100 on an IQ test in some jurisdictions, you are disqualified from becoming an officer...

http://www.nytimes.com/1999/09/09/ny...iq-scores.html
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    They do give testing to screen LEOs. If you score higher than about 100 on an IQ test in some jurisdictions, you are disqualified from becoming an officer...

http://www.nytimes.com/1999/09/09/ny...iq-scores.html
    Well, that just further qualifies a theory I've been working on for any number of years.

Can you be "overqualified" to be a cop? Apparently. Criteria for denial range from high intelligence to unrestrained cognitive reasoning and for excessive compassion shown towards your fellow man to acute understanding and appreciation of civil and Constitutional rights.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    I'm glad to see that this hasn't turned into a cop bashing thread, since that would be against the rules of course.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Quote Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post
    I'm glad to see that this hasn't turned into a cop bashing thread, since that would be against the rules of course.
    That's because the normal bashee hasn't shown up.
    The day ain't over yet though.,

Of course.

The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    That's because the normal bashee hasn't shown up.
    The day ain't over yet though.,
    Oh goody....something to look forward to.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Oh goody....something to look forward to.

If citing a United States District Court case upholding the insanely ridiculous and nonsensically discriminatory "testing standards" for LEOs qualifies as "cop bashing" then I may just have to leave this forum...

When did "political correctness" and avoiding the truth so as not to step on someone's tender sensibilities become standards by which posts on THIS forum are to be judged?

I'm starting think people are intentionally seeding the forum with "controversial" topics just so people like me who like to do research, and keep up on the Court Precedents will post verifiable cites that will piss certain members off.

And to be honest, it's getting sort of old, being called out just for citing the facts.

WTF?
    Last edited by Dreamer; 06-02-2011 at 02:19 AM.
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Reminds me of a Mad Magazine piece I read sometime I think during 1966 or '67 - they said the test for Officer's Candidate School was as easy as rolling off a log - in fact that was the test. Anyone who couldn't roll off a log could become an officer.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Gun Week seems to understand

In the current issue of Gun Week, there is an interesting article about some brave citizens who sued the police and won - "Two juries find cops unlawfully arrested women questioners"

The article discusses the reality of "contempt of cop" based arrests.

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Greeting every one Anyone wanna place a bet on when n--a--p shows up to trash this thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Repeater View Post
    In the current issue of Gun Week, there is an interesting article about some brave citizens who sued the police and won - "Two juries find cops unlawfully arrested women questioners"

Got a link?

Quote Originally Posted by All American Nightmare View Post
    Got a link?
    Their site says that article is only in the print edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Repeater View Post

Not a link to the article but to the magazine.
    www.gunweek.com/
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.