• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cops With Bad Attitudes

2a4all

This, in today's (5/31/2011) Daily Press.

There are just some things you want to know about. One of them is whether you have cops with bad attitudes.

For that reason, a policy some police departments are adopting to keep officers with dark sides from revealing them is a bad idea. Instead of censoring the expression of ideas that are bad news in people with guns and authority, officials should want to get wind of them, so they can address them.

But some officials are more concerned about protecting the image of their departments than with protecting the public. So they tell employees not to post anything online that would "reflect badly" on the department.

Read the rest at: http://www.dailypress.com/news/dp-nws-capo-column-0531-20110530,0,3377746.column

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I'm not sure I have much, if any, heartburn with the concepts discussed in the story. I was much more afraid that I was going to read that LEAs were trying to put brakes on the "public policy commenting" issue that protects public employees who write letters to the editor/blog about screwups within their own agency.

As for the "advice" given - do not post anything to the internet that would bring discredit on you or your agency? I read that more as a different way of saying "Don't be a jerk" than "Just don't brag on line about being a jerk". Maybe that's because I have a deep and abiding faith that the jerks out there will not follow the "Don't brag on line" advice no matter how often it is repeated. It is as if there is an inate drive to document the extent of their jerkitude, and I'm eternally grateful for that.

stay safe.

user

Accomplished Advocate
I thought they give cops psychological tests before hiring to make sure they have bad attitudes. It's always amazed me how many sensible people get through that testing phase and become cops anyway (of course, they don't last long on the job).

Last edited:

Dreamer

I thought they give cops psychological tests before hiring to make sure they have bad attitudes. It's always amazed me how many sensible people get through that testing phase and become cops anyway (of course, they don't last long on the job).

They do give testing to screen LEOs. If you score higher than about 100 on an IQ test in some jurisdictions, you are disqualified from becoming an officer...

http://www.nytimes.com/1999/09/09/n...rules-that-police-can-bar-high-iq-scores.html

wylde007

They do give testing to screen LEOs. If you score higher than about 100 on an IQ test in some jurisdictions, you are disqualified from becoming an officer...

http://www.nytimes.com/1999/09/09/n...rules-that-police-can-bar-high-iq-scores.html
Well, that just further qualifies a theory I've been working on for any number of years.

Can you be "overqualified" to be a cop? Apparently. Criteria for denial range from high intelligence to unrestrained cognitive reasoning and for excessive compassion shown towards your fellow man to acute understanding and appreciation of civil and Constitutional rights.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Oh goody....something to look forward to.

cheshire-cat-3116_preview.png

Dreamer

I'm glad to see that this hasn't turned into a cop bashing thread, since that would be against the rules of course.

If citing a United States District Court case upholding the insanely ridiculous and nonsensically discriminatory "testing standards" for LEOs qualifies as "cop bashing" then I may just have to leave this forum...

When did "political correctness" and avoiding the truth so as not to step on someone's tender sensibilities become standards by which posts on THIS forum are to be judged?

I'm starting think people are intentionally seeding the forum with "controversial" topics just so people like me who like to do research, and keep up on the Court Precedents will post verifiable cites that will piss certain members off.

And to be honest, it's getting sort of old, being called out just for citing the facts.

WTF?

Last edited:

user

Accomplished Advocate
Reminds me of a Mad Magazine piece I read sometime I think during 1966 or '67 - they said the test for Officer's Candidate School was as easy as rolling off a log - in fact that was the test. Anyone who couldn't roll off a log could become an officer.

Repeater

Gun Week seems to understand

In the current issue of Gun Week, there is an interesting article about some brave citizens who sued the police and won - "Two juries find cops unlawfully arrested women questioners"

The article discusses the reality of "contempt of cop" based arrests.

Marco

In the current issue of Gun Week, there is an interesting article about some brave citizens who sued the police and won - "Two juries find cops unlawfully arrested women questioners"

The article discusses the reality of "contempt of cop" based arrests.

Not a link to the article but to the magazine.
www.gunweek.com/