NRA Certified Instructor / RSO
    Maine CWP Training
    101 Main St.
    Harrison, ME 04040

www.mainecwptraining.com

(207) 583-4723
    CELL 232-7063

From article...

I don’t want to be standing in a 7-11 one day and have some criminal run in and shoot me first because he sees that I have a gun on my hip, therefore I’m his biggest threat.
    Best point I have ever read on the issue....

Of course, in general, I just don’t want to make a spectacle and draw attention to myself.
    Not so much.....

Outdoorsman1
    "On the Plains of Hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the Dawn of Victory, sat down to wait - and waiting, died."

George Cecil (1891–1970) American advertising copywriter

Outdoorsman1
    Member: Wisconsin Carry Inc.
    Member: Silver Lake Sportsmans Club
    Wisconsin C.C.W. License Holder
    Utah State Permit Holder.
    Arizona State Permit Holder.

I don’t want to be standing in a 7-11 one day and have some criminal run in and shoot me first because he sees that I have a gun on my hip, therefore I’m his biggest threat.
    Doesn't happen. Just because you can think it doesn't make it true.

Afterall, those cops are always shot first when they're waiting in line.

In fact, we have a few documented instances where the opposite is true. The criminals saw the OC'ers and left. In one instance they went to their car to wait for the OC'ers to leave. Fortunately, a cop was in the parking lot and became suspicious with the criminals' behavior.
    Does anyone here actually believe that the Founders were sitting around in John Adams' tavern UNARMED because they believed a bar should be a gun free zone?

I wasted 15 seconds before I clicked off....What crap.
    Life is tough, its tougher when your stupid.

http://www.itsnotthelaw.com

Feds: U.C.C. 1-308, State: U.C.C. 1-207, Both: U.C.C. 1-103.6

Regular Member carry for myself's Avatar
    i've never seen an OC'er have his/ her gun taken or been shot by a BG for OCing. however in my personal exp. i have seen people intentionally stand 15-20 extra feet AWAY from me because i was carrying, i have seen people cross to the other SIDE of the street because i was carrying and i have seen some "undesireable" people in a bad area of biddeford eyeing me as i a approached, but as soon as i walked under a street lamp and my Glock 20 became visible, they turned and walked away with a very quick pace................seems to me the whole 711 scheme is backwards.
    i would rather run out of blood, breath and life. and die fighting. than run out of ammo , and die with my pants down -Tom Scantas

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Very old and tired argument that happens only in the imaginations of those trying to justify their prejudices against open carry.
    Agreed...(I knew right after I posted it was a valid arguement that I was wrong and was thinking to myself...WTF...why did I post that..almost deleted my post but also wanted the other point I was trying to make be heard....

I guess I was trying to use one extreme to prove the other and it got fuked up...

Outdoorsman1
    "On the Plains of Hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the Dawn of Victory, sat down to wait - and waiting, died."

George Cecil (1891–1970) American advertising copywriter

Outdoorsman1
    Member: Wisconsin Carry Inc.
    Member: Silver Lake Sportsmans Club
    Wisconsin C.C.W. License Holder
    Utah State Permit Holder.
    Arizona State Permit Holder.

Armed and Considered Dangerous: A survey of felons and their firearms by Peter H. Rossi and James Wright. Fifty-six percent of the prisoners said that a criminal would not attack a potential victim who was known to be armed. Seventy-four percent agreed with the statement that "One reason burglars avoid houses where people are at home is that they fear being shot during the crime." Thirty-nine percent of the felons had personally decided not to commit a crime because they thought the victim might have a gun, and eight percent said the experience had occurred "many times."

The Armed Criminal in America: A Survey of Incarcerated Felons, U.S. Bureau of Justice Statistics Federal Firearms Offenders study, 1997: National Institute of Justice, Research Report, July 1985, Department of Justice. 74% of felons agreed that, "one reason burglars avoid houses when people are at home is that they fear being shot during the crime." 57% of felons polled agreed, "criminals are more worried about meeting an armed victim than they are about running into the police."

I don't want to be standing in a 7-11 one day and have some criminal run in and shoot everyone because he thinks I'm unarmed, have no way to resist and therefore I can't be a threat.

There's a reason why cops wear distinctive uniforms, drive recognizable cars and have the visible means to ensure the safety of the public.
    Last edited by Fallschirmjäger; 11-03-2011 at 04:13 PM.

The writer put forth some good points in the article.
    Proud Veteran ~ U.S. Army / Army Reserve

Mississippi State Guard ~ Honorably Retired

Umm, No. He didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by MilProGuy View Post
    The writer put forth some good points in the article.
    I'll be a little nicer. Which ones?
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    I'll be a little nicer. Which ones?
    Thanks, thebigsd.

Well, the quotes listed below made a lot of sense to me, personally; and I know that carrying a handgun is a personal decision and we all have our own comfort levels and preferences for doing so. Hence, this is just my personal opinion...all others are welcome.

Quotes from article:

"I don’t want anyone else to know I have a gun. I don’t want to be standing in a 7-11 one day and have some criminal run in and shoot me first because he sees that I have a gun on my hip, therefore I’m his biggest threat.

Also, I don’t want to be standing in line at Walmart and have to worry about some dirt bag grabbing my gun from behind.

I just don’t want to make a spectacle and draw attention to myself. When I’m out and about running errands I want to blend in with everyone else. If I’m ever face to face with a criminal who’s about to take my life or someone near me I want him to look at me and think I’m some harmless guy in jeans and a t-shirt.

...many cops and other law enforcement officials don’t know state laws when it comes to open carry. And as fun as it is wasting half my day while some cop hassles me, I’ll pass." (This one thing is what is holding me back from open carry. I've never been "detained", arrested, handcuffed, or put into the back of a squad car...and I believe I can live the rest of my life just fine without experiencing these things.)
    Proud Veteran ~ U.S. Army / Army Reserve

Mississippi State Guard ~ Honorably Retired

Quote Originally Posted by MilProGuy View Post
    (This one thing is what is holding me back from open carry. I've never been "detained", arrested, handcuffed, or put into the back of a squad car...and I believe I can live the rest of my life just fine without experiencing these things.)
    Never protest injustice
    Never stand up for your fellow man
    Never show anything but obedience
    Never assert yourself when you're right
    .... You'll survive fine, I'm sure.

I can live the rest of my life just fine without those things as well, but I'm not afraid of niggling little inconveniences.