• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Get Together JUNE 25th Alma WI.

CalicoJack10

I am getting stuff together to do a "Myths About Self Defense" course while we are there. I will be doing it for free, we just need a good location to do it (Hardballer, can you find us one?). I don't really care about how many people are there. And I run Discussion based courses where people have input into what it going on so that I can answer questions or we can talk about thoughts and ideas that others have. I will NOT be running range time, because I just don't have the money to cover the insurance that I need for the courses that involve live fire, and we don't have enough time to get a range to use.

By the way, Hardballer should be credited with this idea. He was the one that asked if I would put something on while I was there, so that is exactly what I am going to do.

hardballer

I am getting stuff together to do a "Myths About Self Defense" course while we are there. I will be doing it for free, we just need a good location to do it (Hardballer, can you find us one?). I don't really care about how many people are there. And I run Discussion based courses where people have input into what it going on so that I can answer questions or we can talk about thoughts and ideas that others have. I will NOT be running range time, because I just don't have the money to cover the insurance that I need for the courses that involve live fire, and we don't have enough time to get a range to use.

By the way, Hardballer should be credited with this idea. He was the one that asked if I would put something on while I was there, so that is exactly what I am going to do.

CalicoJack10, PM me so I can get the particulars of what you need. Sounds great to me and thanks!

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
I am getting stuff together to do a "Myths About Self Defense" course while we are there. I will be doing it for free, we just need a good location to do it (Hardballer, can you find us one?). I don't really care about how many people are there. And I run Discussion based courses where people have input into what it going on so that I can answer questions or we can talk about thoughts and ideas that others have. I will NOT be running range time, because I just don't have the money to cover the insurance that I need for the courses that involve live fire, and we don't have enough time to get a range to use....
How about some exercises involving snap caps and dry fire?

Last edited:

CalicoJack10

I think that for the time being I am just going to stick with the non fire thing. Just because if we end up outside in a park pavillion or something I don't want people to freak out. I guaranty that even without the firing portion there will be no way to walk away from this course and not feel like you have learned something that you needed to know.

I will put the details up for the course as soon as Hardballer and I work out the finer points. I will likely need a notification from those that are planning on showing up, just so that I have a head count and can bring enough materials to cover everyone. Again, this is not a course that is taught from a script. I am not a "Bender", I am a firearms instructor.

hardballer

Public park and all that. There is a range about a half mile away but they are in a construction phase and the range is closed for now. If a get together were set up at a range, live fire or dry fire demonstrations or gun handling would be more appropriate. Something to think about later in the year. The Alma range is very nice.

It sounds like CalicoJack has a good show with lots of info planned.

CalicoJack10

I am going to be way off topic in this, but I have officially built a M4 that has the exact same amount of recoil as a Ruger 10/22 that is stock! Heck Yea!!!!

On topic is that I am going to be doing this outside at the park pavilion. I am OC friendly unlike some instructors who want to pretend like they run other people. I won't mention any names. We all know who I am talking about.

I WILL need e-mails and PMs from people planning on attending so that I can get all the course material there with me. Thanks for all the planning and stuff, hope to see you all there.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
Is Overnight Camping Allowed? If Not, Where?

A few of us are planning on spending either Friday night or/and Saturday night camping in the area instead of driving back that day.

Is there any place nearby that primitive camping is allowed?

BROKENSPROKET

Last edited:

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
ALMA is a 19th century river town perched on a narrow strip of land between the Mississippi River and 500-foot limestone bluffs. Our historic town of less than 1,000 is only two streets wide and has 12 unique stairstep streets and a "dugway" to the top of the bluff. In 1982 over 200 buildings were included in the designation of the City of Alma as a National Historic District because of our preservation of waterfront 19th century buildings. Built into the river bluffs in the style of a European village and bordered by the mighty Mississippi River, Alma is a unique Wisconsin treasure.
.:cool:

hardballer

Sure, I understand. When I suggested that, I thought a range or some other suitable place might be available.
Yup Dave, Thanks for the suggestion. It's a good one. I would love a get together at a range. The Alma Range is very nice and the current remodel should be a large improvement on an already fine range. They have a beautiful club house with kitchen facilities that seats eighty and plenty of room outdoors as well as lots of parking. PM me and maybe we can brainstorm on a celebration of concealed carry range day or some such for late July or August. Heck, even September would be nice.

http://www.greatriverharbor.com/

http://pioneercampsite.com/

It's just up the road from the picnic. But, I don't think they have caves.

Merrick State Park is about 14 miles South and Perrot State Park is about 30 miles south.
Excellent suggestion BrokenSprocket...

http://www.greatriverharbor.com/ is about a mile South of Alma, has a clubhouse and a friendly staff.

http://pioneercampsite.com/The place we are holding the get together has limited camping directly South of the pavilion.

Merrick State Park is very nice and has a beach as well as other amenities. I don't know about Perrot State Park but would have to assume it is just as nice. All very clean. Keep in mind laws etc. and do what you think is best for you.

CalicoJack10

Keep in mind I am going to need a head count for those that are planning on attending, so far I only have 2, so if you are planning on being a part of it shoot me an e-mail or a PM and let me know so that I can bring enough materials. This is FREE, so all you need to do is just tell me that you are planning on being there.

phred

Alma going to the picnic.

1. Knock, Knock
2. Who's there?
3. Alma
4. Alma who?
5. Alma going to a picnic on June 25th, but first I have to go the store and buy some cheeseburgers.
6. Where's the picnic?
7. Go to line 3

protias

I was thinking of possibly going to this but it looks like I'll be up by my parents that weekend. Plans just changed yesterday after I left for work and I was going to call you about carpooling :(.
You big jerk! :p

Hopefully, I'll find someone to go with.

CalicoJack10

Based on the lack of response, I will not be holding the course while I am there.

Good thought anyway hardballer!

Last edited: