• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Voice Recording police encounter's while carrying Firearm Concealed or Open

mechanicworkman

Now I read where many people use VOICE RECORDER’s & during any police encounter while carrying there firearm. This sounds like a great Idea!

Now in Missouri St. Louis County Florissant if this makes a differance:

1. Is this the standard?
2. Am I required to notify police officer of this recording?
3. If there is not is this Recording admissible into court proceedings?
4. Is there a benefit of not notifying police officer I am recording conversation?

cshoff

Now I read where many people use VOICE RECORDER’s & during any police encounter while carrying there firearm. This sounds like a great Idea!

Now in Missouri St. Louis County Florissant if this makes a differance:

1. Is this the standard?

Not sure what you mean by "the standard". Some people carry video/audio recording devices with them, and some don't. There is no "one size fits all" in that regard.

2. Am I required to notify police officer of this recording?

No.

3. If there is not is this Recording admissible into court proceedings?

The admissibility of any evidence into any legal preceding is at the discretion of the judge. Generally speaking, video/audio recordings are admissible if they are deemed relevant.

4. Is there a benefit of not notifying police officer I am recording conversation?

It's your call. I can see valid points for going either way.

mechanicworkman

I have had my CCW for around 3 years now I have never had any issues.So I guess in reguards to me CCing a recorder might not do alot if i never get stopped.Surely as I say this something will happen but to date not one issue.

I can see if i was open carrying where i am more likely to get hassled it would be like insurence, but to date I have never needed it as I dont think anyone even knows I carry.

I was more curious of how many really carry a recorder. As from the posts I read its the people that get stopped alot that carry them from the sounds of it.

Coach Ike

I am looking at different recorders myself. Extra insurance is never a bad idea. As to informing, I feel that if the officer knows you are recording, it could make the encounter go better, unless you are looking for a negative encounter (of course, a second hidden recorder might not be a bad idea, if you reveal your primary) It would be like seeing a highway patrol car, you tend to behave better. That might work to temper the officer's actions even if he may be having a bad day.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
There are so many videos of illegal stops of OC persons I would have to say it is unwise NOT to have one on your person.

I see no reason to carry one while CCW at all.

Richieg150

I wear a seat belt every time I get into a car, I make sure my family is buckled up before driving. WHY do I do this, its not because Uncle Sam forces me to, its because I know that if ever needed, the seat belt may save their lives. Now, a voice recording device, or video camera is like a seat belt, YOU may never be in a situation where you need one, but if that situation ever arises you will be glad you had it on!

Coach Ike

choices

Now, I know someone must have an idea for an affordable, long recording, secure recorder. And by secure, I am looking for something that can prevent erasing without a password or something similar. I am sure others are having the same problem as I am finding the right recorder. It is like a holster or belt, I don't want to have to buy a bunch to find the one that works best. It is better to spend a little more on "the one" than a little less on several.

Richieg150

My cell phone has a app. I dowloaded called Qik. When I turn on my video recorder on my phone, it immediately live streams it to The Qik account you set up or you can live feed it to Youtube, Facebook, ect...So if I was recording video or sound, it would live feed until it is tuned off or my cell phone was destroyed. Everything that was recorded to that point, is written in stone, and can be viewed. I know you can buy a fairly cheap voice recorder from Wal-mart that I have read of some guys on this site carrying and useing.

Coach Ike

My cell phone has a app. I dowloaded called Qik. When I turn on my video recorder on my phone, it immediately live streams it to The Qik account you set up or you can live feed it to Youtube, Facebook, ect...So if I was recording video or sound, it would live feed until it is tuned off or my cell phone was destroyed. Everything that was recorded to that point, is written in stone, and can be viewed. I know you can buy a fairly cheap voice recorder from Wal-mart that I have read of some guys on this site carrying and useing.

Thanks, I will look into that. Right now I don't have a smart phone, may be just the reason to upgrade.