• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"The 'R' word, the 'retard' word, is sort of like the 'N' word"

Jack House

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
"There are certain words that really are sort of off the charts," said Mary Faithfull, the Executive Director of Disability Rights Texas. "I think the "R" word, the "retard" word, is one of those words that steps off the charts. It is sort of like the "N" word. There are certain words that you just don't go there."

http://www.kvue.com/news/7-year-old-movie-stirs-up-controversy-at-free-screening-122990568.html

How utterly retarded. :banghead:

I can understand how people with retarded loved ones would feel offended when someone like Barbra Boxer is refered to as a retard. However, just because a word offends you for whatever reason, doesn't give you some authority to take words away from people. So I agree completely, that's retarded. Even niggardly.

eye95

While both words are offensive, there is no comparison in the level of offense. Only one of the words has hundreds of years of some of the most brutal and immoral behavior against a group of people based on an attribute over which those people had no control and which really told one nothing of significance about those individual people.

Out of respect for all of that unwarranted and hateful history, we should avoid that one word (even jokingly, by using similar sounding words just because they are similar sounding). I think it is despicable and hypocritical that some in that group think it is OK for them to use the word, but not for others to use it.

I understand that some get upset about the use of "retarded" as an epithet, and, because some have loved ones who suffer from the condition, I will refrain from using it as an epithet. I will continue to use it as intended, meaning held back or restrained or slowed down.

I can find no good use for the other word. It is hurtful to millions of people whenever or however it is used.

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
While both words are offensive, there is no comparison in the level of offense. Only one of the words has hundreds of years of some of the most brutal and immoral behavior against a group of people based on an attribute over which those people had no control and which really told one nothing of significance about those individual people.

Out of respect for all of that unwarranted and hateful history, we should avoid that one word (even jokingly, by using similar sounding words just because they are similar sounding). I think it is despicable and hypocritical that some in that group think it is OK for them to use the word, but not for others to use it.

I understand that some get upset about the use of "retarded" as an epithet, and, because some have loved ones who suffer from the condition, I will refrain from using it as an epithet. I will continue to use it as intended, meaning held back or restrained or slowed down.

I can find no good use for the other word. It is hurtful to millions of people whenever or however it is used.

I apologize if anyone was offended here. You're right, there isn't a proper time or place, even in jest. However it seems to me the people who claim to be most offended are the people who've kept it alive longer than it would otherwise be.

eye95

...However it seems to me the people who claim to be most offended are the people who've kept it alive longer than it would otherwise be.

I agree. I would further go on to say that some (not all, not even most) of those who are "offended" by the "r-word" seem to be more interested in controlling the convo than in promoting civility. Still, I can make my point without using the word, some are genuinely emotionally distressed by the word, and so I don't use it.

Tawnos

I have found that flame retardant also retards the growth of plants. If you're not careful, and your kids drink it, they too could become retarded.

TechnoWeenie

Politically correct BS.

Making issues out of nothing.

Along the same lines as what I saw the other day..

I was reading an online review of wallyworld's vision center (need new glasses), and I was reading about a lady, outside of her return policy complaining that they wouldn't return something, OUT OF POLICY.

Then, out of nowhere, she says 'As an African American, it's traumatizing to have a white woman telling me that they won't refund my money'...

Are you f'in kidding me?

Why do you have to bring race into a situation where it doesn't belong?

People like HER are the reason why Al Sharpton and the NAACP are still around. They make issues of something that's NOT an issue, to justify their continued existence.

What a retard.

Beretta92FSLady

My partner, and I stood at the register of a Carl's Jr. ordering some food, and the cashier stated 'that's gay." The cashier then looked at us, and stated, "I'm so sorry for saying that." I thought it was funny that she was so concerned about it, and told her that I didn't find it offensive.

People are quit touchy about words like "retard," "******," "******," "spic," "breeder," etc. When I have been referred to as a "******," I just keep in mind that the individual using "******" in a derogatory way is just being a jacka$$.

*I am kind of excited to see which terms I quoted above will be censored, and which ones won't.

Beretta92FSLady

My partner, and I stood at the register of a Carl's Jr. ordering some food, and the cashier stated 'that's gay." The cashier then looked at us, and stated, "I'm so sorry for saying that." I thought it was funny that she was so concerned about it, and told her that I didn't find it offensive.

People are quit touchy about words like "retard," "******," "******," "spic," "breeder," etc. When I have been referred to as a "******," I just keep in mind that the individual using "******" in a derogatory way is just being a jacka$$.

*I am kind of excited to see which terms I quoted above will be censored, and which ones won't.

Oh SNAP!:shocker:

Evil Tyler Durden

Crummy California the most unfair state in the uni
Hmmmmmmm.....

RETARD is not an offensive statement. Calling someone a RETARD is not offensive. By finding the word RETARD offensive shows over sensitivity and the fact that your a RETARD. This politician is a RETARD. It's like MIDGETS, they aren't little people. They are MIDGETS. There's a MIDGET comedian who makes a perfect example of this.

Also Tosh.O made a comment on this. "A monkey has the strength of 10 men. So if you come across a RETARDED monkey, you better run. Cause that thing is like a borderline SUPER HERO."

I hope no RETARDED MIDGETS found this offensive. Jokes are jokes and if you don't like jokes.
If you found this offensive then that makes you A LITTLE RETARDED.....

Last edited:

Tawnos

"nagger", "????", and I'm guessing "farggot"

Beretta92FSLady

RETARD is not an offensive statement. Calling someone a RETARD is not offensive. By finding the word RETARD offensive shows over sensitivity and the fact that your a RETARD. This politician is a RETARD. It's like MIDGETS, they aren't little people. They are MIDGETS. There's a MIDGET comedian who makes a perfect example of this.

Also Tosh.O made a comment on this. "A monkey has the strength of 10 men. So if you come across a RETARDED monkey, you better run. Cause that thing is like a borderline SUPER HERO."

I hope no RETARDED MIDGETS found this offensive. Jokes are jokes and if you don't like jokes.
If you found this offensive then that makes you A LITTLE RETARDED.....

I find your red offensive. Let me guess, your favorite color is redtard?;)

Dreamer

I agree. I would further go on to say that some (not all, not even most) of those who are "offended" by the "r-word" seem to be more interested in controlling the convo than in promoting civility.

You've got it almost right...

I think you meant to say, " I would further go on to say that some (not all, not even most) of those who are "offended" by the "r-word" seem to be more interested in control."

Dreamer

Words have no meaning or power, other than what YOU give them.

This is true, and it is also fundamentally false...

The way we use language (and, in fact, the very way that language is created and evolves) fundamentally inform our perception of reality. The words we use, the meaning we place on them, and the psycho-sociological baggage that they carry all bring tremendous amounts of power to our formation of opinion, perception of "reality", and ability to interact with others.

Saying that words only have the power we give them is sort of like saying that money only has the power we give it. Sure, it's true. But it's also true that society gives a TREMENDOUS amount of power to the use of language external to the power that individuals give to words...

HKcarrier

If I was a black person and someone called me the N word... I don't think I would be all that offended.... they must be mighty stupid if that's all they can come up with to try to piss me off... (though easy for me to say being a white guy)

I agree, words only have the power that you give them.

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
Regarding the "N" word.

Merely using the word, even in an insulting way does not make a person a racist. Is calling Jesse Jackson (is he really the emperor of black people?) a self absorbed House N-----... racist? I don't think so. I think it's taking the path of least resistance regarding a person worthy of the highest contempt. It does display simple minded ignorance (or drunken bar stool ignorance depending on the context) of course, but not "racism". A person is a racist if they believe they're superior to another race merely based on the fact that they're from a different race.

What I've come to understand in my adult life is that humanity is a single race, a single species. All people are equally valuable and contemptible based on their individual character. I do believe that’s what MLK was really pushing for. If I choose not to associate with white or black people who embrace the trendy rapper "gangsta" lifestyle, or limit my association with them until I get to know they’re just being “trendy”, is that anymore racist than the black people who are openly disgusted with that genre and choose not to associate with anyone who embraces that style?

We tend to choose our words carefully so as not seen in a manner that embarrasses us, but those people who are most vocal about where the lines are drawn seem to have no boundaries themselves, and full authority to exonerate anyone they see fit. People are way too dammed worried about how they're viewed based on their vocabulary, and give way too much authority to the PC douchebags that have stunted all conversations about the topic.