• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"The 'R' word, the 'retard' word, is sort of like the 'N' word"

JoeSparky

Centurion
If I was a black person and someone called me the N word... I don't think I would be all that offended.... they must be mighty stupid if that's all they can come up with to try to piss me off... (though easy for me to say being a white guy)

I agree, words only have the power that you give them.

I MAY be going a little of topic here but I find it VERY offensive to have certain words in our language that only those of a certain racial heritage are ALLOWED to say--- NOT that i want to use that specific word but.... Talk about discrimination.....

riverrat10k

Words have no meaning or power, other than what YOU give them.
I tend to agree with this.

I learned the term "mentally retarded" at a very young age. Always made sense to me. His brain was slower in some way, shape, or form. This often was shortened to retarded.

I often describe my brother-in-law as retarded, and he is. Downs syndrome. Some people think I am kidding and others think he shoots deer off the interstate.

I don't think he cares one way or the other. I could see higher functioning "retards" taking exception to the term, however. I have always thought well of the various ARC's (Association for Retarded Citizens).

Interesting, just surfed my local ARC's web site. A quick look showed retarded used only in recapping its inception as the Association for Mentally Retarded Children. Everywhere else I looked it mentioned "intellectual and developmental disabilities. Referred to themselves as "ARC".

Last edited:

TechnoWeenie

c2a6bd90-2db9-44b9-8b88-1350e31c1ae0.jpg

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Politically correct BS.

Making issues out of nothing.

Along the same lines as what I saw the other day..

I was reading an online review of wallyworld's vision center (need new glasses), and I was reading about a lady, outside of her return policy complaining that they wouldn't return something, OUT OF POLICY.

Then, out of nowhere, she says 'As an African American, it's traumatizing to have a white woman telling me that they won't refund my money'...

Are you f'in kidding me?

Why do you have to bring race into a situation where it doesn't belong?

People like HER are the reason why Al Sharpton and the NAACP are still around. They make issues of something that's NOT an issue, to justify their continued existence.

What a retard.

And I would bet $100 she was no more an African American than you or I. Black American, yes... but most likely NOT an African American.

TechnoWeenie

I learned the term "mentally retarded" at a very young age. Always made sense to me. His brain was slower in some way, shape, or form. This often was shortened to retarded.

I often describe my brother-in-law as retarded, and he is. Downs syndrome. Some people think I am kidding and others think he shoots deer off the interstate.

I agree.

If I know the disorder, I'll state it.. Ie. 'he has down syndrome' or 'she has cerebral palsy', or something similar. If they have a learning disability, same thing 'developmentally disabled', or something similar.

I reserve 'retarded' for those who are ignorant, dumb, etc.

j4l

Words have no meaning or power, other than what YOU give them.

BINGO.
Folks so touchy-feely and so sensitive to words,terms,"labels" and the like should simply stay home, stay in bed, and avoid contact with world in general. :banghead:

Especially once someone reaches adulthood. If by time you get out of grade-school, you cant laugh off being called a name or labeled with a malicious adjective,you simply need to harden the f-up,and get over yourself.

Same goes for "Stereotypes" -whatever the race/ethnic/religious s-type,once an adult in this country goes out of their way to live up to that which they so hate to be called, they lose all right ,IMO, to gripe about it.

Uber_Olafsun

Words like this are associated with stereotypes. When talking about sexual orientation skin color mental abilities I prefer to use the proper more medical related terms.

You like someone of the same sex homosexual
You have a mental disability mentally challenged or mentally retarded
You skin color is black or brown or yellow and you are a citizen of america then you're an American

Now when insulting or making fun of people they other terms come into play
You look down the front of a gun barrel to see if it loaded. Retard
You have a truck with a forty inch lift kit NASCAR stickers all over it and a baby running around the trailer with no clothes white trash honkie trailer trash
You stand outside of home depot speaking Spanish and running when you see cops. ******* beaner
You have more money invested in your grill and your car then your house is worth. Ghetto ni$$er(since I am not supposed to use the word based on my skin color)
And so on

There are so many words that people want to say that only they can use. If someone else uses the word and you associate it with the bad stereotype then maybe you shouldn't use it either.

Uber_Olafsun

I am offended by the characterization of NASCAR fans. :uhoh:

It's NASCAR in relation to the other factors. Such as the relationship between your wife sister and cousin. If there is only one girl there it may fit

Just like people drive Lincoln navigators but not everyone puts 20 inch plus chrome rims and lowers it with 15 inch subwoofers in the back. You have to meet all the requirements.

eye95

I really find the use of racist terms, making generalizations, and over-sensitivity to and intolerance of the opposing viewpoints of others to be surprising behaviors on a message board dedicated to Liberty and the free exercise of our rights.