Thread: Great deal for obtaining your Virginia CHP.

Great deal for obtaining your Virginia CHP.

This link was forwarded to me. I'm not sure if this goes against the forum rules of posting links, but I don't think so since it's firearm related. Forgive me Moderators if I am wrong and feel free to delete it.

Otherwise check out this deal and you can use it toward your CHP application.

http://livingsocial.com/deals/39483?...p&rpi=12535861
    Last edited by RaiderRey; 06-02-2011 at 10:25 AM.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

" Hope for the best, prepare for the worse. "

"It's better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it."

I was going to cut & paste a few things from the website to do some fisking, but it was just too difficult to decide what deserved it more than the rest of the hype.

I'm not knocking training - even basic training. I'm not knocking "free" stuff to load up the atendees with as they leave the class (even though we all know how and by whom the cost of that stuff is covered).

I'm just saying that I have not seen as much hype and ballyhoo since the circus came to town.

This guy may in fact be the bestest trainer in the world, and be personally responsible for saving little old ladies, young girls and kittycats galore. But his hype just does nothing to instill any confidence. YMMV.

stay safe.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    I was going to cut & paste a few things from the website to do some fisking, but it was just too difficult to decide what deserved it more than the rest of the hype.

I'm not knocking training - even basic training. I'm not knocking "free" stuff to load up the atendees with as they leave the class (even though we all know how and by whom the cost of that stuff is covered).

I'm just saying that I have not seen as much hype and ballyhoo since the circus came to town.

This guy may in fact be the bestest trainer in the world, and be personally responsible for saving little old ladies, young girls and kittycats galore. But his hype just does nothing to instill any confidence. YMMV.

stay safe.
    So, you're saying that I don't have to start giving away window decals and DVD's just to keep up with the competition?

WHEW! That's a relief.

James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    What is with the ex-CIA agents? This one thinks you are crazy if you OC.
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...nt#post1544386

If I am going to recommend a trainer/instructor (I have) it is going to be someone local in whom I have confidence to give the whole picture. The instructor/student relationship is a very close and personal issue with many. It is that interpersonal relationship with someone available after the fact that can mean so much.

I still remember some of my earlier instructors with a great fondness and not just a little reverence.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    What is with the ex-CIA agents? This one thinks you are crazy if you OC.
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...nt#post1544386

Grape - the author of the "crazy" article you cited, and the instructor that the OP of this thread listed, are in fact one in the same.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Glock Certified Armorer

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ProShooter View Post
    Grape - the author of the "crazy" article you cited, and the instructor that the OP of this thread listed, are in fact one in the same.
    Thought they might be, but the names of the organizations were different - or so I thought.

Subscribing to the "if you can't say something nice, don't' say nothing at all" philosophy - I won't.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    If I am going to recommend a trainer/instructor (I have) it is going to be someone local in whom I have confidence to give the whole picture. The instructor/student relationship is a very close and personal issue with many. It is that interpersonal relationship with someone available after the fact that can mean so much.
    Although I haven't personally sat for one of ProShooter's courses, my wife has and I've seen his opinions and interacted with him a little bit at various VCDL functions and he's the first guy that comes to mind when I have friends who are looking for training. I know nothing about more local people, but I trust ProShooter to keep things honest, especially with regard to OC and CC and not be spouting lies about what is and isn't legal.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jmelvin View Post
    Although I haven't personally sat for one of ProShooter's courses, my wife has and I've seen his opinions and interacted with him a little bit at various VCDL functions and he's the first guy that comes to mind when I have friends who are looking for training. I know nothing about more local people, but I trust ProShooter to keep things honest, especially with regard to OC and CC and not be spouting lies about what is and isn't legal.
    +1

Thank you guys for the nice compliments. I appreciate it!
    James Reynolds

Glock Certified Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by jmelvin
    Not only is ProShooter a guy I'd recommend to anyone for instruction, but I've also had a private lesson with another of his staff (Don) and would highly recommend him too.

Quote Originally Posted by scouser View Post
    Not only is ProShooter a guy I'd recommend to anyone for instruction, but I've also had a private lesson with another of his staff (Don) and would highly recommend him too.
    Doesn't he favor plastic guns (sorry Jim, couldn't resist)

Quote Originally Posted by scouser View Post
    Thank you for that, scouser. Don DeBusk is my other instructor and he is fantastic at what he does. He comes from a competitive shooting background which is a nice compliment to my background. We're fortunate to have him on our staff.
    James Reynolds

Glock Certified Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Doesn't he favor plastic guns (sorry Jim, couldn't resist)
    LOL, actually he is a 1911 man. The (plastic) water gun is just for fun and it tends to put folks at ease.
    James Reynolds

Glock Certified Armorer

LOL, actually he is a 1911 man. The (plastic) water gun is just for fun and it tends to put folks at ease.
    Now that I had my chance to make fun of him, let me explain to the people that don't know.
    The water gun is the only absolutely safe way to demonstrate gun handling he felt he could use in a room that could be filled with people unfamiliar with firearms.

I wrote this in an article for OVN:
    http://news.oldva.org/?p=1418

The people involved with this instruction are professionals. I know the Owner (or one of them anyway) and he is an ex law enforcement officer, and I think he was a good one. He also has a brain! The material is as well prepared as any instruction packet I’ve ever seen. His instructors are educated and well spoken but are also very easily understood.
    A good example is the other day, again at Bass Pro. Don was there during a break and walked over to say hello. During the quick conversation, we discussed cast bullets in the 1911. I cast all my bullets, he does not, but he knew all about brinnell hardness and over cast sizing. I do it all the time, but learned a few things from this man who doesn’t.
    This team is on the ball!
    Back to the class… Don covered the information just as it was outlined in the packet. He gave several demonstrations about gun handling using a water gun. I’ve seen other instructors waving their presumably unloaded handgun wildly. Not so here. When the demonstration involved pointing a weapon at anything but the floor, it was the water gun in his hand.
    Last edited by peter nap; 06-02-2011 at 10:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Now that I had my chance to make fun of him, let me explain to the people that don't know.
    The water gun is the only absolutely safe way to demonstrate gun handling he felt he could use in a room that could be filled with people unfamiliar with firearms.

I wrote this in an article for OVN:
    http://news.oldva.org/?p=1418
    Correct, and thank you again for a great article.

We now use an orange "Rings blue gun" for demos, but the water gun makes an appearance now and then.
    James Reynolds

Glock Certified Armorer

Cool

Nice form and trigger cover, at least.

The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiderRey View Post
    you can use it toward your CHP application
    This is easier: http://virginiaCHPtraining.com 1 hour, 39.99 in yer PJ's at home.
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)