• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Great deal for obtaining your Virginia CHP.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I was going to cut & paste a few things from the website to do some fisking, but it was just too difficult to decide what deserved it more than the rest of the hype.

I'm not knocking training - even basic training. I'm not knocking "free" stuff to load up the atendees with as they leave the class (even though we all know how and by whom the cost of that stuff is covered).

I'm just saying that I have not seen as much hype and ballyhoo since the circus came to town.

This guy may in fact be the bestest trainer in the world, and be personally responsible for saving little old ladies, young girls and kittycats galore. But his hype just does nothing to instill any confidence. YMMV.

stay safe.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
I was going to cut & paste a few things from the website to do some fisking, but it was just too difficult to decide what deserved it more than the rest of the hype.

I'm not knocking training - even basic training. I'm not knocking "free" stuff to load up the atendees with as they leave the class (even though we all know how and by whom the cost of that stuff is covered).

I'm just saying that I have not seen as much hype and ballyhoo since the circus came to town.

This guy may in fact be the bestest trainer in the world, and be personally responsible for saving little old ladies, young girls and kittycats galore. But his hype just does nothing to instill any confidence. YMMV.

stay safe.

So, you're saying that I don't have to start giving away window decals and DVD's just to keep up with the competition?

WHEW! That's a relief.

:)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
What is with the ex-CIA agents? This one thinks you are crazy if you OC.
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...n-Carry&p=1544386&highlight=agent#post1544386

If I am going to recommend a trainer/instructor (I have) it is going to be someone local in whom I have confidence to give the whole picture. The instructor/student relationship is a very close and personal issue with many. It is that interpersonal relationship with someone available after the fact that can mean so much.

I still remember some of my earlier instructors with a great fondness and not just a little reverence.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Grape - the author of the "crazy" article you cited, and the instructor that the OP of this thread listed, are in fact one in the same.

Thought they might be, but the names of the organizations were different - or so I thought.

Subscribing to the "if you can't say something nice, don't' say nothing at all" philosophy - I won't.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
If I am going to recommend a trainer/instructor (I have) it is going to be someone local in whom I have confidence to give the whole picture. The instructor/student relationship is a very close and personal issue with many. It is that interpersonal relationship with someone available after the fact that can mean so much.

Although I haven't personally sat for one of ProShooter's courses, my wife has and I've seen his opinions and interacted with him a little bit at various VCDL functions and he's the first guy that comes to mind when I have friends who are looking for training. I know nothing about more local people, but I trust ProShooter to keep things honest, especially with regard to OC and CC and not be spouting lies about what is and isn't legal.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Although I haven't personally sat for one of ProShooter's courses, my wife has and I've seen his opinions and interacted with him a little bit at various VCDL functions and he's the first guy that comes to mind when I have friends who are looking for training. I know nothing about more local people, but I trust ProShooter to keep things honest, especially with regard to OC and CC and not be spouting lies about what is and isn't legal.

+1

scouser

jmelvin said:

Not only is ProShooter a guy I'd recommend to anyone for instruction, but I've also had a private lesson with another of his staff (Don) and would highly recommend him too.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Not only is ProShooter a guy I'd recommend to anyone for instruction, but I've also had a private lesson with another of his staff (Don) and would highly recommend him too.

Doesn't he favor plastic guns:lol::lol::lol::lol: (sorry Jim, couldn't resist)

ps3.jpg

ProShooter

Thank you for that, scouser. Don DeBusk is my other instructor and he is fantastic at what he does. He comes from a competitive shooting background which is a nice compliment to my background. We're fortunate to have him on our staff.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
LOL, actually he is a 1911 man. The (plastic) water gun is just for fun and it tends to put folks at ease.

Now that I had my chance to make fun of him:lol:, let me explain to the people that don't know.
The water gun is the only absolutely safe way to demonstrate gun handling he felt he could use in a room that could be filled with people unfamiliar with firearms.

I wrote this in an article for OVN:
http://news.oldva.org/?p=1418

The people involved with this instruction are professionals. I know the Owner (or one of them anyway) and he is an ex law enforcement officer, and I think he was a good one. He also has a brain! The material is as well prepared as any instruction packet I’ve ever seen. His instructors are educated and well spoken but are also very easily understood.
A good example is the other day, again at Bass Pro. Don was there during a break and walked over to say hello. During the quick conversation, we discussed cast bullets in the 1911. I cast all my bullets, he does not, but he knew all about brinnell hardness and over cast sizing. I do it all the time, but learned a few things from this man who doesn’t.
This team is on the ball!
Back to the class… Don covered the information just as it was outlined in the packet. He gave several demonstrations about gun handling using a water gun. I’ve seen other instructors waving their presumably unloaded handgun wildly. Not so here. When the demonstration involved pointing a weapon at anything but the floor, it was the water gun in his hand.

Last edited:

ProShooter

Now that I had my chance to make fun of him:lol:, let me explain to the people that don't know.
The water gun is the only absolutely safe way to demonstrate gun handling he felt he could use in a room that could be filled with people unfamiliar with firearms.

I wrote this in an article for OVN:
http://news.oldva.org/?p=1418

Correct, and thank you again for a great article.

We now use an orange "Rings blue gun" for demos, but the water gun makes an appearance now and then. :)