Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Must have accessory for a 1911

Must have accessory for a 1911

He's also a *great* example of gun handling safety.

LoL ok probably not. Happened across this last night, thought it was "different" and thought I'd share.

(Disclaimer: I'm sure others have seen this before, I stumbled across it last night. I *tried* to search, but, I can't get a Captcha that I can actually read so I'm running the risk of reposting, also: Mods, if you feel this belongs in the General forum, I don't blame you at all, please move it at your discretion)

The only things I can see bad about this grip is that it makes your 1911 completely incompatible with EVERY commercially available holster (especially any holster with any sort of retention), and it makes it impossible to CC, if you are right handed...

Other than the fact that you can't carry your gun in a holster, or have the option to carry it IWB,, sure, this device is a GREAT idea...
    Last edited by Dreamer; 06-02-2011 at 04:24 PM.
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Heh, there's actually a lot of bad things I see with this grip. First thought I had when I saw this, well...isn't repeatable in polite company.

Teaches lazy (possibly dangerous) firearm control habits just to start the list with, not to mention the holster nightmare, and can you imagine the tactical nightmare of a fast/SD draw..."Umm, excuse me Mr. Badguy, can you hold off on beating me so I can flip my little paddle out?".

And the video is downright terrifying to see someone waving a pistol around like he is, I truly hope someone new to shooting doesn't see that and think that's the proper way to handle a loaded firearm.

But hey...who doesn't want a gas pedal on their pistol?...vroom!

The Gas Pedal cobbled on to a 1911 is proof that ya just can't fix stupid.
    Steve

"Life is hard, its even harder when you are stupid!"

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf1477 View Post
    isn't repeatable in polite company.
    Good thing most of us aren't polite. :-p

While this is not the dumbest crap I have ever seen, it's trying really hard to be...
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

https://gunthreadadapters.com

"Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

Tyranny with Manners is still Tyranny.

I honestly did not see anything unsafe about this video. Assuming his weapon was cleared, he was demonstrating how his tool "helps" control the weapon at different angles in a room all buy himself. Do you not dry fire once in a while? Do you not practice your draw from your carry holster? Oh you do!? UNSAFE UNSAFE UNSAFE! O_O

LoL yes I practice my draw. However, there is a big difference between practicing your draw with a firearm you *know* is safe, and dancing across the room twisting the firearm back and forth like you're in some piss poor 70's action movie, or some banger who can't decide which sideways hold makes him look cooler/tougher.

You also "assume" he's cleared the firearm, did he show us? No he didn't, so what's to say somebody new to firearms doesn't try these "maneuvers" without clearing their firearm because the guy in the video didn't?

Granted *most* people are smart enough not to do something like that, but, unfortunately in this day and age once is all it takes. I watch a lot of firearm reviews/random home movie clips, any reputable instructor/handler will *always* make a point to show themselves clearing the firearm, if for no other reason that it forms good habits.

I'll stick to my "scary at best, deadly at worst" critique of the video. You want to show what that product does take it to the range and do a live fire demo, not some POS Hawaii Five-0 that shows nothing other than you don't know how to safely demonstrate firearms handling.
    Last edited by Wolf1477; 06-09-2011 at 09:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Schlitz View Post
    I honestly did not see anything unsafe about this video. Assuming his weapon was cleared, he was demonstrating how his tool "helps" control the weapon at different angles in a room all buy himself. Do you not dry fire once in a while? Do you not practice your draw from your carry holster? Oh you do!? UNSAFE UNSAFE UNSAFE! O_O
    I doubt he was all by himself... did you notice the camera zooming in near the end?

I agree with Wolf1477's comments. He should've cleared the weapon on camera, at the very least.
    Last edited by 4angrybadgers; 06-09-2011 at 09:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf1477 View Post
    You also "assume" he's cleared the firearm, did he show us? No he didn't, so what's to say somebody new to firearms doesn't try these "maneuvers" without clearing their firearm because the guy in the video didn't? .
    This is a peeve of mine.

This was an internet video, and although he did not show us the weapons was cleared, can you show me where it is not?

So what if he didn't show us clearing the weapon. Its not his friggin job to show us proper techniques.. He is peddling his product in a video he made for the internet.

I don't see the safety problem, there is a common sense measure to clear your weapon before handling it "unloaded." I don't see why he has to do it on camera. Who cares. As long as the camera man and himself saw, felt, smelt, touched, KNOW it was surely unloaded then there was no harm in his demonstration for his product.

Did you guys feel unsafe watching this since it wasn't cleared? Were you afraid of a ND coming through your monitor? lol

Total disgrace to the 1911 platform
    "Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." -- President John F. Kennedy

Fact: it is a stupid bulky product

Fact: There is nothing unsafe about the video. He has no need to safety check it for a bunch of arm chair range officers who are afraid of getting shot through the screen.

Another solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by goett047 View Post
    Fact: it is a stupid bulky product

Fact: There is nothing unsafe about the video. He has no need to safety check it for a bunch of arm chair range officers who are afraid of getting shot through the screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavalryman View Post
    Another solution to a problem that doesn't exist.
    Agreed, and agreed.

He thinks he's found a way to force a good "high thumbs" grip, but it does absolutely nothing that some repeated draw-and-dry-fire practice doesn't do. And unlike practice, his device can't be used with a holster. (I didn't realize just how bad his design was, until 0:45, where he presents a muzzle-on view, and you can see just how huge that thing is!)

I expect to see him at the next gun show, emphatically trying to prove his case to everyone within earshot, just like the "Welds aluminum!!!!" guy.

Thumbs up tough crowd

THE OPs url was posted before on another forum and got similar comments.

I would agree the idea is poorly presented, but for those with racing experience will know those are the guys that pioneered the techniques that wins most competitions these days.

Before you guys get too hot, check out the latest revision on the same chanel. It's got some of same techniques explained better and some kick @ss live fire demos.

I think the newer video explains they have taken racing techniques and made it available to the everyday shooter. I think there is a valid point about questionable gun handling in OP's video link but the newer video shows IMHO excellent gun handling and safety, and prooves his point about the gun advantages with live fire.

http://youtu.be/UxGWRrs0Kzs
    http://youtu.be/UxGWRrs0Kzs?hd=1

The HD version has nice scenery and really shows the point
    Last edited by 45oftheday; 06-16-2011 at 04:18 AM.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    I gotta see the retention holster for everyday carry for this.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

The AR-15 is already the Ricer of the gun world. Let's not throw JMB under the bus by tacking on all this stupid crap...

The 1911 does not need neon lights, a spoiler the size of my shed's roof, or crap on the end of it's pipe that makes it louder than it already is....

Unpimp ze auto.... I want to unpimp this 1911.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuC6jeKjTdg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgEvy60bZYI
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfWScRkqqRo

Can your TDI can go from Berlin to Warsaw on one tank... OH SNAP!
    Last edited by ixtow; 06-17-2011 at 06:14 PM.
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

https://gunthreadadapters.com

"Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

Tyranny with Manners is still Tyranny.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Only 2 basic areas where improvement would be welcome on any good 1911.

The 1st is in sights and most modern defensive offerings address this issue.

The other would be to go back to JBM's original design w/o the grip safety - something that IMHO is not needed and unduly adds a feature that can malfunction; however, I would never modify a factory gun by pinning it for defensive carry.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Only 2 basic areas where improvement would be welcome on any good 1911.

The 1st is in sights and most modern defensive offerings address this issue.

The other would be to go back to JBM's original design w/o the grip safety - something that IMHO is not needed and unduly adds a feature that can malfunction; however, I would never modify a factory gun by pinning it for defensive carry.
    I don't have a problem with the grip safety (yes, it can fail, but it enjoys an enviable track record of almost never doing so).

The big improvement I would make (aside from sights, which is no longer a problem except for GI clones), is to make the design bobtailed. Round off that butt, to eliminate a sharp point and increase comfort while carrying.

Not for purists

Usually purists use harsh words for first of anything. So it’s a non starter for traditionalists.

However if you are interested in some thing new and faster take the time to watch their other videos. They took the racing concept and made it easy for the average guy who wants to improve his performance, beyond what is possible with only practice.

JMB never envisioned the off hand doing anything.

Cool thing about it, if you dont like it, take it off like any other grip and you saved on gunsmithing.
    Last edited by 45oftheday; 06-20-2011 at 03:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 45oftheday View Post
    Usually purists use harsh words for first of anything. So it’s a non starter for traditionalists.
    JMB never envisioned the off hand doing anything.
    Quite in line with your comment about JMB and the off-hand, the non-purists who are so critical of this device have already discovered a superior device: the back of the first knuckle on the off hand, in a "high thumbs" grip.

You can't condemn "non-purists" and support this gadget at the same time.
    Last edited by KBCraig; 06-20-2011 at 05:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ixtow View Post
    The AR-15 is already the Ricer of the gun world. Let's not throw JMB under the bus by tacking on all this stupid crap...

The 1911 does not need neon lights, a spoiler the size of my shed's roof, or crap on the end of it's pipe that makes it louder than it already is....

Unpimp ze auto.... I want to unpimp this 1911.
    I hear ya ixtow, while not a purist, I see no reason to hang a bunch of geegaws and gadgets on a rifle and even less reason to hang junk on a pistol. Included lights, lazers and gas pedals.

Realiable, decent trigger and a good set of 3 dots sights and I am good to go.
    Steve

"Life is hard, its even harder when you are stupid!"

Cant understand your logic

Quote Originally Posted by KBCraig View Post
    Quite in line with your comment about JMB and the off-hand, the non-purists who are so critical of this device have already discovered a superior device: the back of the first knuckle on the off hand, in a "high thumbs" grip.

You can't condemn "non-purists" and support this gadget at the same time.
    From your post, I dont think you understand Gas Pedal Grip at all. There is NO WAY you can come close to enhanced performance provided by this device with any other grip or any amount of practice. I too was skeptical until I shot it and was totally amazed.

I don’t think it’s fair to call it a gadget when it is derived from same principles that win most major matches these days. I suppose you would call it a gadget if you are a purist, and call it a good idea if you were open minded or know recent match history.

But if you are a high thumbs officianado, please answer when you think that technique (high thumbs) came in. I for one, don’t have a clue. And can you tell me which is "first knuckle" thumb or index?
    In either case the "back" doesnt contact the gun in ANY grip I know.
    Last edited by 45oftheday; 06-21-2011 at 12:06 AM.

"Dumb " video ? replaced

It appears OPs dumb video has been replaced by

http://youtu.be/UxGWRrs0Kzs
    Last edited by 45oftheday; 06-30-2011 at 04:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 45oftheday View Post
    From your post, I dont think you understand Gas Pedal Grip at all. There is NO WAY you can come close to enhanced performance provided by this device with any other grip or any amount of practice. I too was skeptical until I shot it and was totally amazed.

I don’t think it’s fair to call it a gadget when it is derived from same principles that win most major matches these days. I suppose you would call it a gadget if you are a purist, and call it a good idea if you were open minded or know recent match history.

But if you are a high thumbs officianado, please answer when you think that technique (high thumbs) came in. I for one, don’t have a clue. And can you tell me which is "first knuckle" thumb or index?
    In either case the "back" doesnt contact the gun in ANY grip I know.
    Just... wow. So full of fail that it's not worth responding to in detail. Not that it would do any good, with a Twue Bewiever.

*shakes head*

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast