• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Must have accessory for a 1911

Wolf1477

[video=youtube;2rHzcOoEmSY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rHzcOoEmSY&feature=channel_video_title[/video]

He's also a *great* example of gun handling safety.

LoL ok probably not. Happened across this last night, thought it was "different" and thought I'd share.

(Disclaimer: I'm sure others have seen this before, I stumbled across it last night. I *tried* to search, but, I can't get a Captcha that I can actually read so I'm running the risk of reposting, also: Mods, if you feel this belongs in the General forum, I don't blame you at all, please move it at your discretion)

Dreamer

The only things I can see bad about this grip is that it makes your 1911 completely incompatible with EVERY commercially available holster (especially any holster with any sort of retention), and it makes it impossible to CC, if you are right handed... :rolleyes:

Other than the fact that you can't carry your gun in a holster, or have the option to carry it IWB,, sure, this device is a GREAT idea... :banghead:

Last edited:

Wolf1477

Heh, there's actually a lot of bad things I see with this grip. First thought I had when I saw this, well...isn't repeatable in polite company.

Teaches lazy (possibly dangerous) firearm control habits just to start the list with, not to mention the holster nightmare, and can you imagine the tactical nightmare of a fast/SD draw..."Umm, excuse me Mr. Badguy, can you hold off on beating me so I can flip my little paddle out?".

And the video is downright terrifying to see someone waving a pistol around like he is, I truly hope someone new to shooting doesn't see that and think that's the proper way to handle a loaded firearm.

But hey...who doesn't want a gas pedal on their pistol?...vroom!

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
I honestly did not see anything unsafe about this video. Assuming his weapon was cleared, he was demonstrating how his tool "helps" control the weapon at different angles in a room all buy himself. Do you not dry fire once in a while? Do you not practice your draw from your carry holster? Oh you do!? UNSAFE UNSAFE UNSAFE! O_O

Wolf1477

LoL yes I practice my draw. However, there is a big difference between practicing your draw with a firearm you *know* is safe, and dancing across the room twisting the firearm back and forth like you're in some piss poor 70's action movie, or some banger who can't decide which sideways hold makes him look cooler/tougher.

You also "assume" he's cleared the firearm, did he show us? No he didn't, so what's to say somebody new to firearms doesn't try these "maneuvers" without clearing their firearm because the guy in the video didn't?

Granted *most* people are smart enough not to do something like that, but, unfortunately in this day and age once is all it takes. I watch a lot of firearm reviews/random home movie clips, any reputable instructor/handler will *always* make a point to show themselves clearing the firearm, if for no other reason that it forms good habits.

I'll stick to my "scary at best, deadly at worst" critique of the video. You want to show what that product does take it to the range and do a live fire demo, not some POS Hawaii Five-0 that shows nothing other than you don't know how to safely demonstrate firearms handling.

Last edited:

4angrybadgers

I honestly did not see anything unsafe about this video. Assuming his weapon was cleared, he was demonstrating how his tool "helps" control the weapon at different angles in a room all buy himself. Do you not dry fire once in a while? Do you not practice your draw from your carry holster? Oh you do!? UNSAFE UNSAFE UNSAFE! O_O
I doubt he was all by himself... did you notice the camera zooming in near the end?

I agree with Wolf1477's comments. He should've cleared the weapon on camera, at the very least.

Last edited:

VW_Factor

You also "assume" he's cleared the firearm, did he show us? No he didn't, so what's to say somebody new to firearms doesn't try these "maneuvers" without clearing their firearm because the guy in the video didn't? .

This is a peeve of mine.

This was an internet video, and although he did not show us the weapons was cleared, can you show me where it is not?

So what if he didn't show us clearing the weapon. Its not his friggin job to show us proper techniques.. He is peddling his product in a video he made for the internet.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
I don't see the safety problem, there is a common sense measure to clear your weapon before handling it "unloaded." I don't see why he has to do it on camera. Who cares. As long as the camera man and himself saw, felt, smelt, touched, KNOW it was surely unloaded then there was no harm in his demonstration for his product.

Did you guys feel unsafe watching this since it wasn't cleared? Were you afraid of a ND coming through your monitor? lol

goett047

Fact: it is a stupid bulky product

Fact: There is nothing unsafe about the video. He has no need to safety check it for a bunch of arm chair range officers who are afraid of getting shot through the screen.

KBCraig

Fact: it is a stupid bulky product

Fact: There is nothing unsafe about the video. He has no need to safety check it for a bunch of arm chair range officers who are afraid of getting shot through the screen.

Another solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

Agreed, and agreed.

He thinks he's found a way to force a good "high thumbs" grip, but it does absolutely nothing that some repeated draw-and-dry-fire practice doesn't do. And unlike practice, his device can't be used with a holster. (I didn't realize just how bad his design was, until 0:45, where he presents a muzzle-on view, and you can see just how huge that thing is!)

I expect to see him at the next gun show, emphatically trying to prove his case to everyone within earshot, just like the "Welds aluminum!!!!" guy.

45oftheday

tough crowd

THE OPs url was posted before on another forum and got similar comments.

I would agree the idea is poorly presented, but for those with racing experience will know those are the guys that pioneered the techniques that wins most competitions these days.

Before you guys get too hot, check out the latest revision on the same chanel. It's got some of same techniques explained better and some kick @ss live fire demos.

I think the newer video explains they have taken racing techniques and made it available to the everyday shooter. I think there is a valid point about questionable gun handling in OP's video link but the newer video shows IMHO excellent gun handling and safety, and prooves his point about the gun advantages with live fire.

[video]http://youtu.be/UxGWRrs0Kzs[/video]
[video]http://youtu.be/UxGWRrs0Kzs?hd=1[/video]

The HD version has nice scenery and really shows the point

Last edited:

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
The AR-15 is already the Ricer of the gun world. Let's not throw JMB under the bus by tacking on all this stupid crap...

The 1911 does not need neon lights, a spoiler the size of my shed's roof, or crap on the end of it's pipe that makes it louder than it already is....

Unpimp ze auto.... I want to unpimp this 1911.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuC6jeKjTdg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgEvy60bZYI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfWScRkqqRo

Can your TDI can go from Berlin to Warsaw on one tank... OH SNAP!

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Only 2 basic areas where improvement would be welcome on any good 1911.

The 1st is in sights and most modern defensive offerings address this issue.

The other would be to go back to JBM's original design w/o the grip safety - something that IMHO is not needed and unduly adds a feature that can malfunction; however, I would never modify a factory gun by pinning it for defensive carry.

KBCraig

Only 2 basic areas where improvement would be welcome on any good 1911.

The 1st is in sights and most modern defensive offerings address this issue.

The other would be to go back to JBM's original design w/o the grip safety - something that IMHO is not needed and unduly adds a feature that can malfunction; however, I would never modify a factory gun by pinning it for defensive carry.
I don't have a problem with the grip safety (yes, it can fail, but it enjoys an enviable track record of almost never doing so).

The big improvement I would make (aside from sights, which is no longer a problem except for GI clones), is to make the design bobtailed. Round off that butt, to eliminate a sharp point and increase comfort while carrying.

45oftheday

Not for purists

Usually purists use harsh words for first of anything. So it’s a non starter for traditionalists.

However if you are interested in some thing new and faster take the time to watch their other videos. They took the racing concept and made it easy for the average guy who wants to improve his performance, beyond what is possible with only practice.

JMB never envisioned the off hand doing anything.

Cool thing about it, if you dont like it, take it off like any other grip and you saved on gunsmithing.

Last edited: