• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bill SB610 Passes The CA State Sentate CCW

Syst3m Ov3rrid3

Quote from my Email:

UPDATE (6/2/2011)

To all:

I was just informed that Senate Bill 610 (referenced below) passed out of the CA State Senate and is on its way to the Assembly.

This is good news and I wanted to take this opportunity to thank all of you who made the time to contact the Senate in support of this NRA supported legislation.

Thank you all. I look forward to continuing to work together in defense of our Second Amendment freedoms.

Paul Payne
NRA Liaison to the Executive Vice President

To all:

Please contact the members of the CA State Senate and urge them to vote YES on Senate Bill 610 (Wright) http://nramemberscouncils.com/legs.shtml?summary=sb610&year=2011

Some talking points regarding SB610:
SB 610 would standardize the application process for a license to carry a concealed handgun and reform requirements for applicants.
Currently, some licensing agencies require applicants to pay a firearms training fees, purchase liability insurance and pay hundreds of dollars in costs before the agency determines if the applicant has “good cause” for the issuance of a CCW license.
Senate Bill 610 would amend the current sequence for processing of the applications and require the issuing agency to determine if the applicant has “good cause” BEFORE the applicant is required to expend the time and the cost required for the completion of the approval process.
If the CCW applicant is determined to have “good cause”, they would still be required to pass a background check/screening and complete the required firearms training before the agency would complete the process and issue a CCW permit.
Senate Bill 610 would also prohibit issuing agencies from requiring CCW applicants to obtain liability insurance as a condition of issuance of a license. Liability insurance can cost an applicant hundreds of dollars per year and is not required under existing law and should not be required to obtain a license.
The passage of Senate Bill 610 would reform the current CCW application process bringing uniformity and fairness to the applicants.
Remember, contact the Senate and urge them to pass this important reform bill. Circulate this entire message to all gun owners, clubs, forums, blogs, etc. Spread the word and keep up the pressure!

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
This is an excellent bill and should be supported. Though some folks here don't like the idea of licensing or regulating a right, none of this bill as it currently stands will be a negative to the general idea of self defense and being able to carry.

Devilinbp

The fact that "good cause" is still required in this bill goes not make me happy; nor will it help any of us that cannot currently qualify for a CCW because of that very requirement. I sure hope THAT gets fixed.

Last edited:

cato

The fact that "good cause" is still required in this bill goes not make me happy; nor will it help any of us that cannot currently qualify for a CCW because of that very requirement. I sure hope THAT gets fixed.

There is more here then meets the eye...this is good.