Thread: Camping in Oregon @ a Federal not State camp ground.

Camping in Oregon @ a Federal not State camp ground.

From what I am able to put together from the laws in these parts, and the recent change in fed law.

Sounds like we are good to go unless we enter into "buildings" in the park..

Does this sound about right to everyone?

I ask because we are booking our spot, and it seems that all the State Parks all full up on trailer spots, and a Fed Park has openings..

Quote Originally Posted by VW_Factor View Post
    From what I am able to put together from the laws in these parts, and the recent change in fed law.

Sounds like we are good to go unless we enter into "buildings" in the park..

Does this sound about right to everyone?

I ask because we are booking our spot, and it seems that all the State Parks all full up on trailer spots, and a Fed Park has openings..
    Only if it is in the National Park system. BLM, Corp of Engineers and Bureau of Reclamation have different rules. You better be sure of who controls/manages the property.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Politicians should serve two terms, one in office and one in prison.(borrowed from RioKid)

I know the Corps has different rules (that are in process of being changed) but BLM is no problem. NP, NF, and BLM land are state Law.

BTW: The "buildings" you may (or may not) have problems with are ones that NP service personnel work in, not outhouses etc.

USFS (National Forest) assimilates state laws, but the "Federal facilities" ban applies in any building where federal employees regularly work. As already said, outhouses, bath houses, etc., aren't included.

Caveat: USFS rules (rules, not "laws") do ban loaded firearms in occupied campsites. I've never heard of it being enforced, and I've ignored it for 40 years, camping in USFS campgrounds since I was a kid. I've been persuaded out of the tent more than once by a terrified city-girl wife to do a sweep for "BEARS OUTSIDE!" for everything from armadillos and raccoons, to deer crossing the creek (hooves on creek rocks and the subtly changing gurgle of water are the most pleasant way to wake up in the middle of the night, ever!), to actual bears. Okay, 250 pound Arkansas black bears, and our food was bear-safe, and the bears hauled ass....

USFS Rangers are more worried about you drinking beer, than having guns.

I was thinking of posting a separate thread, but mine fits in well w/ this one...
    Poke holes in this reasoning, please:

Even if a park has rules (or even if there's a law) saying you can't have a gun (working, loaded, accessable, etc.) in the park, once you're in your tent or camper you're in your home.
    It's just as much protected by the 4A as a hotel room would be.

So if I wanted to have an unloaded encased pistol (as I'd have to for now in WI) in the car, then carry it w/ other stuff into my tent, once I'm inside I can load it & do pretty much anything except shoot it & no gov't official can say a thing about it.

(Current WI law requires unloaded encased car carry, & U/E in a state park.)
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

Out here (ID, OR, WA and I'm sure others) I have never heard of a "no firearms" rule in a NF campground...how could they? In the fall at least, all the campers are hunters, and they are all armed. (Sept until the campgrounds are closed for snow)

Before the federal law changed, no loaded firearms in the NP, still no discharge in the NP, But BLM and NF??? not that I have ever seen.