• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What are the CA restrictions for simple firearm possession by non-residents?

OC4me

I'm writing a letter to several congressman about the difficulties faced by non-residents (especially non-U.S. resident expatriate Americans) who may wish to legally possess firearms in certain jurisdictions.

I need to have legal cites to California law with respect to eligibility requirements for non-residents (and in particular non-U.S. resident citizens - Americans who reside abroad the majority of the calendar year).

Thank you very much!

mjones

I'm writing a letter to several congressman about the difficulties faced by non-residents (especially non-U.S. resident expatriate Americans) who may wish to legally possess firearms in certain jurisdictions.

I need to have legal cites to California law with respect to eligibility requirements for non-residents (and in particular non-U.S. resident citizens - Americans who reside abroad the majority of the calendar year).

Thank you very much!

In CA there aren't any restrictions on non-residents citizens that are above and beyond those of resident citizens.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the question... There are some minor differences between citizen and non-citizens; but those likely wouldn't hold up anyhow...

OC4me

In CA there aren't any restrictions on non-residents citizens that are above and beyond those of resident citizens.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the question... There are some minor differences between citizen and non-citizens; but those likely wouldn't hold up anyhow...

Thank mjones for your reply. Actually there can be a BIG difference. This isn't a situation of citizen vs. non-citizen, rather its all about citizens who are U.S. residents (physically residing in one of the 50 States) vs citizens who are not U.S. residents. I'm looking for States that bar simple firearms possession (especially handguns) to non-U.S. residents who are still nevertheless American citizens. Yes we do exist!

This prohibition need not be direct but could be more subtle, for example requiring registration of a handgun (as a condition of possession) via an application form that specifically requires data that a non-U.S. resident may not be able to provide, such as a current U.S. physical address, State ID or Driver's License number, etc.

Even expatriate Americans (living abroad) who still are registerd to vote in the State of their former residence, maintain a home, etc. may still 'lose' their physical residency status in that State if they aren't physically present in that State for a certain amount of time during a calendar year (probably varies by jurisdication but let's say 6 months plus 1 day). Unfortunately, it is something that most Americans living overseas don't even think about or realize and may even be unwittingly committing a felony if they use their stateside residence as a basis for claiming state residency when they are not actually physical residents (arcane legal reasons why this is so).

Despite the 'rareness' of this sitution, I'm still trying to research this issue and would appreciate a better understanding of California's firearm's possession laws (cites to the relevant statutes would be extremely helpful, thanks!).

mjones

Thank mjones for your reply. Actually there can be a BIG difference. This isn't a situation of citizen vs. non-citizen, rather its all about citizens who are U.S. residents (physically residing in one of the 50 States) vs citizens who are not U.S. residents.

Ok, good, I did understand you the first time; Resident-Citizen vs non-Resident-Citizen. i.e. a Citizen but Resident of another State or an Expatriot Citizen.

In CA there are no distinctions made between Resident-Citizen vs non-Resident-Citizen for simple firearms possession. However, there is no direct citation to law or authority on this one.

mjones

So no handgun registration in California? If there is registration, then I'd be interested in looking at the application form itself.

There are no requirements for a non-resident to register any firearms.

There are no registration requirements for long-guns except "Assault Weapons."

Residents of CA have handguns registered at the time of purchase (since 1991 I think)

New Residents are required to register imported handguns within 60 days at a cost of $19 each http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/pubfaqs.php#24

cato

Possession of an 'unregistered' handgun is not in and of itself a crime. The major risk in possession of a hand gun not registered to the possessor is when being charged with certain firearm related crimes such as loaded in public or concealed. Then the CA DOJ registration status in the name of the possessor determines if it is a felony or not.

http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Main_Page

Last edited: