• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Looking for the experiences of others

Shadow Bear

Michigan Moderator
Well, In this case, I don't have much choice. I can't go into too much detail since the EEOC is involved, but not having a job right now is not my choice, nor is it my fault. I have a long list of skills, certifications, training, etc... but right now, as we all know, the job market is a tough place. I have had some many interviews, its sad. I even applied at McDonalds, Burger King, etc... simply because I hate not having a job. They told me I was overqualified. Its not a matter of picking myself up. Its a matter of trying to find an employer that will hire me, but even then, the pay has to be more than the unemployment I get so I can still pay for my vehicle, buy food, make sure my wife and son have what they need to survive, and pay for my medication every month, which is over 250 a month. When you go from making a good deal to making nothing, your "rainy day" fund goes pretty fast. My previous employer cashed the check for Cobra, but never submitted the paperwork, so I am uninsured, which means every doctor visit, every EEG, and the multitude of other tests I have to go through are all in cash out of my funds. That has been over 10 grand already. Sometimes its not about the bootstraps, but about loosening the weights someone else tied you up with.

What sort of skills, certifications, etc?

DanM

Well, I am pretty sure I know where where my balls, self responsibility, and self reliance are. And we know how to live cheap, and we do make the right choices. I understand that you are not trying to be harsh . . .

I'm not, but some of the things I wrote look that way. Sorry. I'll be the first one to high-five you when you get your own place, but if you don't I might low-five you with a boot to the butt. We don't want to hear a year from now that you and your wife still don't have your own place. Make it happen.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
I would cc and, if it truly is the case that mother-in-law (MIL) actually checks to see if you are cc, I would cc with the smart carry or maybe even in a planner zippered pouch until off the premises.

Tucker6900

Well, over the last 8 months, my life has changed quite a bit. I got married, I am in almost at the end of the process of adopting the child I have called my son for 4 years, I have changed jobs, and then was wrongfully terminated from the new job less than a month after I was married. So, at the moment, I live with my wifes parents. Not the most fun in the world, but her mother is not only very anti OC, she is anti gun in general. Its to the point where I am not permitted to OC or CC at the house if she is home (And you all thought that the STATE laws were bad). And Even when she isn't home, she will randomly stop back home during the day "just to say hi" or as I like to call it, My semi daily weapon shakedown. Even if I am leaving the house to go shopping or to pick my beautiful wife and son up a coffee and a chocolate milk, I almost half to smuggle it out of the house. My wife and father in law are both very pro gun and pro CC and OC, but it seems my wifes mother rules the roost. Anywho, I am just curious as to what issues and/or experiences all you OCers out there have had with friends or family.

I shared the same relationship with my mother in law. She wasnt really anti gun, but they scared her. So, I gave it some time, and every opportunity I had to educate her and to sooth her fears, I did so. Now, after a couple of years of education, I am now allowed to carry in her house.

I think the first thing you need to do is find out what the real problem is. Is she really anti gun? Or is she just fearful of firearms in general? I have a feeling its the latter due to the fact that her husband is pro gun. Take some time to talk with her about it in a manner thats not confrontational, and just educate her.

Good luck!