• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Please write the assembly judiciary committee in support of SB231

Nevada carrier

My last e-mail reads;

Dear Chairmen and assemblymen and women of the Assembly Judiciary committee,

You have all heard my testimony. I would like to offer further rebuttals to the opposition statements given at the hearing on SB 231.

Opposition claim #1; CCW holders are too poorly trained and will pose a danger to others in the event they may need to use their firearm.

This is incorrect. While it is true that CCW permit holders to not receive 80+ hours of training that is required of police officers, they are trained to use their firearm to defend themselves. Police officers receive much more training because they routinely have to place themselves into dangerous situations. The Permit holder is not expected to be a police officer; We do not serve high risk warrants, make arrests or respond to criminal complaints. As permit holders our only concern is to stop a threat that could result in death or serious bodily harm or escape the situation. Our CCW training provides us with the adequate tools to achieve this end.

Additionally, the same people who oppose this bill have not addressed the reality that they are already encountering CCW permit holders daily, they just don’t know it. Passing this legislation places them at no more risk than they already are virtually everywhere else. I argue that that risk is statistically insignificant.

Opposition claim #2; College campuses also have child care facilities on their grounds.

This is true, and under current law and even if SB231 passes, it would remain illegal for a person carrying a firearm in any manner to enter a child care facility. Under the federal gun free school-zone act, there is a 1000 foot perimeter around the boundaries of the facility which under the act Licensed CCW permit holders are exempt from already.

Nevada law also addresses multiple agencies within the same building. If a building with classrooms, lecture halls or common areas also contains a day care, Nevada law would prohibit even a licenses CCW holder from passing beyond the doors of the room or rooms that were operating as a day care facility.

Opposition claim #3; Colleges and universities routinely host events and functions for K-12.

This is true. Also consider that permit holders can go many places with a firearm where people in this group may also be. This is a red hearing. Children in the K-12 age group would be no more at risk on a college campus where licensed concealed carry were permitted than they would be at a Mall, Grocery store, restraint, movie theater, etc.

There are high school students that routinely excel beyond what their local public school can offer. It is not uncommon for them to take college classes. I argue that these students are particularly mature by virtue of their excellence and would have no difficulty integrating into an adult environment where licensed CCW were practiced and allowed.

Opposition claim #4; CCW permit holder will mistake each other in the event of a violent crime.

This is statistically improbable. Consider that Permit holders make up a very small percentage of the total population; about one or two percent. Also consider that because of the demographic makeup of college students, even fewer would qualify. The likely hood of two or more CCW holders being present during a violent criminal assault on campus is very slim at best. Additionally, it is unlikely that someone not inclined to own and carry a firearm will suddenly gain interest simply because this bill is passed into law. Those who are will and those who are not will not. Do not let them infringe upon my right to personal protection simply because they choose not to exercise their own.

Opposition claim #5; there are better, less than lethal choices for personal protection.

While I have already testified on this topic, I would like to expand somewhat. Police officers are not expected to respond to life threatening scenarios with less than lethal force, and neither should we. Police officers use less than lethal force when a suspect is uncooperative and/or aggressive but otherwise not posing a threat of death or serious bodily injury to the officer or others. It is absurd to expect that citizens defend themselves against lethal threats or threats of serious bodily harm with less than lethal force just as it would be to expect a police officer to do the same.

Ladies and gentlemen of the committee, and fellow Nevadan’s, I ask that you recommend and vote to pass Senate Bill 231. The presidents of our public universities have proven that they cannot or will not objectively obey the intent of the law as it currently exists. They have abused their authority by arbitrarily and capriciously denying all but one student their right to carry for personal defense. Students should not have to first be a victim before they can be granted personal protection.

Please send your emails to;

whorne@asm.state.nv.us; shammond@asm.state.nv.us; ihansen@asm.state.nv.us; kkite@asm.state.nv.us; rmcarthur@asm.state.nv.us; msherwood@asm.state.nv.us; tsegerblom@asm.state.nv.us; johrenschall@asm.state.nv.us; jfrierson@asm.state.nv.us; mdonderoloop@asm.state.nv.us

varminter22

Last chance today

Assemblyman Ira Hansen has forced a last minute meeting attempting to get the Assembly Judicial Committee to send SB-231 to the assembly floor for a vote.

He needs support of the firearms community NOW!!!!

Meeting is NOT on the published agenda.

Assembly Judiciary Committee meeting:

Sunday, June 5 2011
9:30 am
Nevada legislative bldg in Carson City
3rd floor room #3138

This is it - the last chance to get this passed this session. IF SB-231 doesn't pass out of the Jud Cmte today, it is done until at least 2013.

If you cant be there pick up the phone and call!

Please contact members of the Assembly Judiciary Committee NOW, especially Chairman William Horne (D-34) and Vice Chairman James Ohrenschall (D-12), and request SB-231 be passed out of cmte to the Assembly floor.

Assembly Judiciary Committee phone numbers:

Assemblyman William Horne (D-34), Chairman - (775) 684-8847

Assemblyman James Ohrenschall (D-12), Vice Chairman - (775) 684-8819

Assemblyman Steven Brooks (D-19) - (775) 684-8569

Assemblyman Richard Carrillo (D-1) - (775) 684-8801

Assemblyman Skip Daly (D-31) - (775) 684-8563

Assemblywoman Olivia Diaz (D-11) - (775) 684-8553

Assemblywoman Marilyn Dondero Loop (D-5) - (775) 684-8833

Assemblyman Jason Frierson (D-) - (775) 684-8537

Assemblyman Tick Segerblom (D-9) - (775) 684-8549

Assemblyman Scott Hammond (R-13) - (775) 684-8853

Assemblyman Ira Hansen (R-32) - (775) 684-8851

Assemblyman Kelly Kite (R-39) - (775) 684-8843

Assemblyman Richard McArthur (R-4) - (775) 684-8829

Assemblyman Mark Sherwood (R-21) - (775) 684-8839
----------------------------------------------------------

Assembly Judiciary Committee copy/paste email addresses:

whorne@asm.state.nv.us; johrenschall@asm.state.nv.us; sbrooks@asm.state.nv.us; rcarrillo@asm.state.nv.us; rdaly@asm.state.nv.us; odiaz@asm.state.nv.us; mdonderoloop@asm.state.nv.us; jfrierson@asm.state.nv.us; tsegerblom@asm.state.nv.us; shammond@asm.state.nv.us; ihansen@asm.state.nv.us; kkite@asm.state.nv.us; rmcarthur@asm.state.nv.us; msherwood@asm.state.nv.us

MPlannette

I called about half of list and got voicemails for everyone. I don't know if its worthwhile to leave messages for them all? I hope SB-231 makes it to the floor this session...2013 is a long ways away.

The Big Guy

I called the chair and Vice Chair. VM for Assm Horne and actually talked to "Pat" at the number for the Vice Chair. She told me that they were not discussing SB231. I asked her to pass on that I would like to see it sent to the Assembly floor for a vote. She did not know when it would be worked on.

I also emailed the entire list.

TBG

Last edited:

varminter22

Today is the last day - and it doesn't look good for SB-231.

Yesterday, pro-gun Asssemblyman Ira Hansen attempted to bring up SB-231 and request a vote. But Asm Jud Cmte Chairman William Horne refused to even bring it up.

Several of us were there to witness. It was absolutely disgusting.

Senator Lee said there is still a little time - it isn't over yet. But frankly, its darned near over.

It appears obvious the opposing forces have Asm Horne in their pocket. Asm Horne has effectively subverted the legislative process.

SB-231 had broad bi-partisan support and passed the Senate.

And, many legislators did say there are enough votes to pass the bill out of the Asm Jud Cmte - and probably the full Assembly too!

Now SB-231 appears destined to die because Assembly Judiciary Committee Chairman William Horne will NOT allow a vote.

Today, June 6, 2011, is the last day. Actually, must end by 1:00 a.m. on June 7.

Nevada carrier

Can we at least find out who can have him removed from his position as the committee chair? I would say recall, but those are really hard to do. Theoretically, there still may be a possibility that the matter can be voted on, the Asm judiciary has a meeting today at 9 am. I called Asm Hansen and left a message asking to speak with him urgently before the meeting is held to suggest one last ditch maneuverer to get a vote.

Last edited:

varminter22

Can we at least find out who can have him removed from his position as the committee chair? I would say recall, but those are really hard to do. Theoretically, there still may be a possibility that the matter can be voted on, the Asm judiciary has a meeting today at 9 am. I called Asm Hansen and left a message asking to speak with him urgently before the meeting is held to suggest one last ditch maneuverer to get a vote.

The majority party gets to pick all of the committee chairman. That means ZERO chance of having him removed.

Recall? Besides being very difficult to do, there are no known legal grounds to do it.

Probably the best way would be to campaign hard for his opponent in the next election!

The session isn't over until late tonight. But our odds are slim and getting slimmer.