• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Questions for a Branson Trip

jcizzle

I'm taking the family to Branson next week and have a couple of questions.

It's my understanding that they will honor my OK concealed permit but I can't carry in amusement parks (I guess in case you get tense standing in line). Other than that, it's about like OK's concealed law.

What about open carry? is it legal in the Branson area? Can I open carry at Silver Dollar City just not concealed?

Also, if open carry is legal in MO specifically Branson, is it common there? I don't wan't to end up like that dude in Philly and ruin my family vacation if Barney Fife doesn't understand the law.

cshoff

I'm taking the family to Branson next week and have a couple of questions.

It's my understanding that they will honor my OK concealed permit but I can't carry in amusement parks (I guess in case you get tense standing in line). Other than that, it's about like OK's concealed law.

What about open carry? is it legal in the Branson area? Can I open carry at Silver Dollar City just not concealed?

Also, if open carry is legal in MO specifically Branson, is it common there? I don't wan't to end up like that dude in Philly and ruin my family vacation if Barney Fife doesn't understand the law.

I'll let someone more familiar with Branson ordinances help you out in that regard. As to Silver Dollar City, they don't want firearms on their property at all. The Herschend Family Entertainment Corporation is very anti-gun and spent a bunch of money helping to defeat our original CCW bill in 1998 as well as spending money in an attempt to defeat the CCW bill we eventually passed in 2003. Frankly, I wouldn't give them a dime of my money.

That said, if you have a valid permit, it would not be unlawful for you to carry at SDC, however, you do know it is against their wishes. If you wish to respect their private property rights, then I would suggest you do NOT carry while you are there.

Freedom 1st

I think I rember Branson being discussed as not legal to OC in another thread some time ago, but do not hold me to that.
Maybe someone more familiar with that area could chime in with the info. Enjoy the time with the family and stay safe, and good luck.

xc9subcompact

I googled "Branson Mo Open Carry" and found one hit that says Taney county OC is legal but expect to be hassled. It also said Illegal in the city of Branson.
Unsure how reliable this info is.

kcgunfan

I think I rember Branson being discussed as not legal to OC in another thread some time ago, but do not hold me to that.
Maybe someone more familiar with that area could chime in with the info. Enjoy the time with the family and stay safe, and good luck.

First, IANAL.

Second, The firearms code are in Sec. 58-97. I would guess that subsections d and e are what people think prohibit OC. From my reading, it would only ban it without a CCW endorsement. Don't call me if you get arrested.

Last edited:

KBCraig

You will not be allowed to OC in Silver Dollar City. Their guest rules prohibit "weapons", but they don't post no-weapons signs, and there is no security screening when you enter.

In other words, you can slide right in carrying concealed, but OC will be a no-go. Don't ask, don't tell.

Oh, and please stop by sdcfans.com and give a trip report. We always welcome new members, and it's a great resource for the history of the park, and fun games like "name this spot", to try to identify signs or details spotted throughout the park.

I haven't been in three years, and before that the last visit was 1999. But, I went every year from 1973-1984. SDC is my home away from home, the most relaxing nostalgia I know. The smells of coal smoke from the forge, and wood smoke from the duplicating lathe, and candy and taffy being made fresh on the spot...

Damn. I can't afford a trip this year, but I'm sure in the mood!

Edit to add: Pete Herschend is widely known as a big "conservative Christian Republican", but he strongly opposed passage of shall-issue in Missouri; from what I hear, he was the big push behind banning carry in "amusement parks", but I don't have a cite. Herschend Family Entertainment is mostly out of his control now, so don't feel obliged to boycott based on Pete's past activities.

Last edited:

Peter and Jack Herschend are two of the biggest anti gun anti self defense supporters there are in Missouri. Peter spent numerous hours and thousands of dollars from Silver Dollar City and his own personal fortune fighting the concealed carry law passed by the Missouri legislature in 2003. He also was a big contributor to the defeat of the Prop "B" proposal in 1999 to allow concealed carry in Missouri. He has NOT changed and is still very anti gun and anti self defense for anyone except for himself.