• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Got stopped in Independence KS

Gunslinger

If in the final analysis the OP is satisifed with how the encounter turned out, that's fine. Many of us would have immediately asked, under Terry, what is the reason for the stop and what crime are you investigating or preventing of which I am a suspect? If the answer was nonresponsive, we would have said "then I am free to go..." and not as a question. But that isn't the correct action for everyone. Hopefully, this was a learning experience with good feedback from the forum for the next time, or if the cop isn't "nice."

Damiansar-15

Frrrrrt!

Do I misread a condescending tone? I neither am "attempting to communicate" (think I already do so reasonably well) and reject being told that I should "feel free" to do what I might do.

My point w/o the race card or social economic status is that no extreme fits all equally. I will start with the most effective response IMO for each situation according to the merits. The impression received on this end from your post was directed at proceeding civilly post haste.

First, I want to point out that no where in this thread did I say civil action is the first and only action to take to resolve open carry issues. Do you have an issue with me posting legal avenues for people to pursue?

I do not know if you misread a condescending tone, but I was not trying to be condescending to anyone. I say what I think and people can take it how they choose. I also did not say you SHOULD do anything. I stated my thoughts and point of view on your post, just as you did so to my posts. I also did not post anything about race, so I do not understand your reference about race card. I think most all people would agree that people who open carry firearms are in the minority when compared to the rest of population. Previous posts had socio-economic reference, which is why I expressed the idea that all people need to be represented/protected in our Republic.

I suppose we can agree to disagree about civil action towards government can be an appropriate option to defend one's rights. I know many people would agree with me that our Founding Fathers applied a lot more extreme measures when dealing with oppressive government officials than filing a civil suit.

Last edited:

turbodog

No condemnation from me. Yeah, you consented, and no they didn't have any RAS or PC, and we'll never know how they would have ratcheted things up, but we all know how they could have, even without any legal authority. You had to make your own call, and you did.

Everyone has to make their own decisions based on time/place/circumstances. And for most of us, all those variables are going to change throughout our daily travels. On a stroll with my wife down my own street, on vacation, in no hurry to get out of jail? Yeah, I'll play hard to get. Traffic stop on the way to catch a plane for an important trip? "Yes sir, no sir, three bags full, sir!"

Don't sweat any keyboard kommandos going on about how you broke weak: you did what you felt was right at the time. Be confident in your own conscience, and go with that.

Well said sir. You are exactly right in that there are those who think one should play hardball right from the first words from a LEO's mouth. Nonsense. Learn to pick your battles and you might just make a good impression on a LEO who thinks all OCer's are morons. The OP handled his situation just fine in my opinion.

wally515

County Under Sheriff

The guy at the begining of this blog is a straight shooter. He comments on my open carry every time I go to subway. I too have been "questioned" by INDY PD. Matter of fact, right in front of INDY subway. lol The local officers around here are prety well mannered for the most part and if you are straight with them and you have no warrants, you will be addressed in a respectful manner. I have no intention of ever relinquishing my weapon unless I am to go into "custody".
The County Under Sheriff however apparently does not know that Kansas is an open carry State. He just stopped my brother inlaw at the VET in Cherryvale. He was/is under the impression that you MUST conceal carry. I am sure after his run in with my Marine Brother, he will get better informed. The conversation between them ended with Troy calling in to dispatch to clarify I guess. LOL.
I am just glad to know there are others out there defending and exercising their Constitional rights. It is better to be informed than to rely on others for FACTS on law. The guy/gal behind the badge can not know every law, so you must.
Keep your powder dry subway man!!!

turbodog

No condemnation from me. Yeah, you consented, and no they didn't have any RAS or PC, and we'll never know how they would have ratcheted things up, but we all know how they could have, even without any legal authority. You had to make your own call, and you did.

Everyone has to make their own decisions based on time/place/circumstances. And for most of us, all those variables are going to change throughout our daily travels. On a stroll with my wife down my own street, on vacation, in no hurry to get out of jail? Yeah, I'll play hard to get. Traffic stop on the way to catch a plane for an important trip? "Yes sir, no sir, three bags full, sir!"

Don't sweat any keyboard kommandos going on about how you broke weak: you did what you felt was right at the time. Be confident in your own conscience, and go with that.

Well said sir!

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Sounds like it would be appropriate to write a respectful letter to the sheriff or chief, describing the situation. Explain that you wanted to cooperate fully with the officers, but after the incident you would like to know if the officers had the right to stop and question you before it even came to the point of asking for permission to do a search. They are not used to having to explain to people that this is in fact, not right.

I might even be tempted to ask him for his official opinion on what you should have done when stopped and questioned. After all, he can't exactly put in writing: "Just bend over and agree to everything the nice officers ask."

Last edited: