• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

GRNC Alert 6-2-11: Act Now to Prevent Weakening of HB 650!

senojkj

Grass Roots North Carolina, P.O. Box 10665, Raleigh, NC 27605, 919-664-8565, www.GRNC.org

GRNC Alert 6-2-11:
Act Now to Prevent Weakening of HB 650!

WEAKENING AMENDMENTS MAY BE PENDING

House Bill 650, "Amend Various Gun Laws," passed from the NC House Judiciary C Committee yesterday and heads for a floor vote: Tuesday, June 7. As you may recall, special interest groups have tried to subject the bill to the "death of a thousand cuts" by attacking individual provisions. Nonetheless, HB 650 is still a far-reaching improvement in NC gun laws, including:

* Castle Doctrine (a strong version comparable to SB 34, which earlier passed the Senate);
* Permitting concealed handgun permit-holders to have firearms in locked vehicles on educational property;
* Enabling rifle and shotgun purchases in non-contiguous states beyond NC;
* Allowing guns in locked vehicles at businesses or places of employment;
* Reducing issuing times for concealed handgun permits from 90 to 45 days;
* Reducing penalties for minor CHP violations to civil infractions; and
* Changing concealed handgun to straight recognition of out-of-state permits;

HOUSE MAJORITY LEADER MAY TRY TO WEAKEN BILL

Thanks to continued anti-gun attacks by House Majority Leader Paul ("Skip") Stam (R-Wake, GRNC 0-star), sponsor Mark Hilton (R-Catawba, GRNC ****) was forced to limit the "guns-in-locked-vehicles" provision above to concealed handgun permit-holders. It is expected that Stam will further attempt to weaken the bill via floor amendments, meaning you must IMMEDIATELY deliver the message to House members that you WILL NOT tolerate further weakening amendments to the bill.

CONTACT THESE REPS

* Your House representative: http://www.grnc.org/contact_reps.htm
* All members of the NC House. (List following the message)

DELIVER THIS MESSAGE

When e-mailing members of the NC House, use the following subject line:
NO WEAKENING AMENDMENTS FOR HB 650

Sample message:

Dear Representative:

I strongly urge you to support House Bill 650, "Amend Various Gun Laws," and to oppose all weakening amendments. The fact is that bill sponsor Rep. Mark Hilton has worked diligently through multiple committee hearings to satisfy the needs of all stake-holders. Consequently, any attempts to further weaken the bill will be nothing less than anti-gun sentiments masquerading as legitimate concerns.

The improvements in HB 650 are vital to the interests of law-abiding gun owners. I will monitor your actions via Grass Roots North Carolina legislative alerts.

Respectfully,iltonH

* Send to these legislators:

Larry.Bell@ncleg.net, William.Brisson@ncleg.net, Garland.Pierce@ncleg.net, Ray.Rapp@ncleg.net, Winkie.Wilkins@ncleg.net, Michael.Wray@ncleg.net, Bill.Faison@ncleg.net, Rick.Glazier@ncleg.net, Frank.Iler@ncleg.net, Joe.Tolson@ncleg.net, Edith.Warren@ncleg.net, Bill.Cook@ncleg.net, Nelson.Dollar@ncleg.net, Jean.Farmer-Butterfield@ncleg.net, Mike.Hager@ncleg.net, Dewey.Hill@ncleg.net, Carolyn.Justice@ncleg.net, James.Langdon@ncleg.net, Marvin.Lucas@ncleg.net, William.McGee@ncleg.net, Marian.McLawhorn@ncleg.net, Gaston.Pridgen@ncleg.net, William.Wainwright@ncleg.net, Harry.Warren@ncleg.net, Kelly.Alexander@ncleg.net, Marilyn.Avila@ncleg.net, Jeff.Barnhart@ncleg.net, Hugh.Blackwell@ncleg.net, John.Blust@ncleg.net, Jamie.Boles@ncleg.net, Glen.Bradley@ncleg.net, Bill.Brawley@ncleg.net, Larry.Brown@ncleg.net, Rayne.Brown@ncleg.net, Harold.Brubaker@ncleg.net, Justin.Burr@ncleg.net, George.Cleveland@ncleg.net, Jeff.Collins@ncleg.net, Jim.Crawford@ncleg.net, Bill.Current@ncleg.net, Leo.Daughtry@ncleg.net, Jimmy.Dixon@ncleg.net, Jerry.Dockham@ncleg.net, Elmer.Floyd@ncleg.net, Dale.Folwell@ncleg.net, Phillip.Frye@ncleg.net, Mitch.Gillespie@ncleg.net, David.Guice@ncleg.net, Kelly.Hastings@ncleg.net, Mark.Hilton@ncleg.net, Mark.Hollo@ncleg.net, Bryan.Holloway@ncleg.net, Julia.Howard@ncleg.net, Pat.Hurley@ncleg.net, Dan.Ingle@ncleg.net, Linda.Johnson2@ncleg.net, Bert.Jones@ncleg.net, Jonathan.Jordan@ncleg.net, Ric.Killian@ncleg.net, Stephen.LaRoque@ncleg.net, David.Lewis@ncleg.net, Danny.McComas@ncleg.net, Darrell.McCormick@ncleg.net, Pat.McElraft@ncleg.net, Grey.Mills@ncleg.net, Tim.Moffitt@ncleg.net, Tim.Moore@ncleg.net, Bill.Owens@ncleg.net, Shirley.Randleman@ncleg.net, Efton.Sager@ncleg.net, Ruth.Samuelson@ncleg.net, Norman.Sanderson@ncleg.net, Mitchell.Setzer@ncleg.net, Tim.Spear@ncleg.net, Paul.Stam@ncleg.net, Edgar.Starnes@ncleg.net, Fred.Steen@ncleg.net, Sarah.Stevens@ncleg.net, Michael.Stone@ncleg.net, Thom.Tillis@ncleg.net, Roger.West@ncleg.net, Marcus.Brandon@ncleg.net, John.Faircloth@ncleg.net, Ken.Goodman@ncleg.net, Charles.Graham@ncleg.net, Susi.Hamilton@ncleg.net, Craig.Horn@ncleg.net, Chuck.McGrady@ncleg.net, Frank.McGuirt@ncleg.net, Rodney.Moore@ncleg.net, Tom.Murry@ncleg.net, Phil.Shepard@ncleg.net, John.Torbett@ncleg.net, Alma.Adams@ncleg.net, Martha.Alexander@ncleg.net, Alice.Bordsen@ncleg.net, Angela.Bryant@ncleg.net, Becky.Carney@ncleg.net, Tricia.Cotham@ncleg.net, Beverly.Earle@ncleg.net, Susan.Fisher@ncleg.net, Rosa.Gill@ncleg.net, Joe.Hackney@ncleg.net, Phillip.Haire@ncleg.net, Larry.Hall@ncleg.net, Pricey.Harrison@ncleg.net, Verla.Insko@ncleg.net, Darren.Jackson@ncleg.net, Maggie.Jeffus@ncleg.net, Patsy.Keever@ncleg.net, Paul.Luebke@ncleg.net, Grier.Martin@ncleg.net, Mickey.Michaux@ncleg.net, Annie.Mobley@ncleg.net, Diane.Parfitt@ncleg.net, Earline.Parmon@ncleg.net, Johnathan.Rhyne@ncleg.net, Deborah.Ross@ncleg.net, Jennifer.Weiss@ncleg.net, Larry.Womble@ncleg.net

----------------------
Contribute to the cause! Give generously to protect your rights.

http://grnc.org/join_grnc/contribute.htm

----------------------
You may find your NC STATE representative by going here:
http://www.grnc.org/contact_reps.htm

You may write your FEDERAL congressman by going here:
http://www.house.gov/writerep/

You may write your FEDERAL senators by going here:
http://www.senate.gov/
-------------------
Support these PRO RKBA merchants who, as GRNC sponsors, are supporting your Second Amendment rights:

Hyatt Gun Shop, 3332 Wilkinson Blvd., Charlotte, NC 28208, 704-394-0387, www.hyattguns.com
C & E Gun Shows, 4225 Fortress Drive, Blacksburg, VA 24060; Phone 540-953-0016 or 888-715-0606; http://www.cegunshows.com/
Dixie Gun and Knife Shows, PO Box 21049, Raleigh, NC 27619, ph: 919-781-1287, www.dixiegunandknifeshow.com/
Ryan & Nina Leonard, Down South Ammo, Home of "SOUTHERN THUNDER" Exploding Targets, http://downsouthammo.com/
Duncan Gun & Pawn, 414 Second St., North Wilkesboro, NC 28659, 336-667-6303, www.duncangun.com
Shooter's Express, 2 Caldwell Dr., Belmont, NC 28012, 800-358-GUNS, www.shootersexpress.com
The Aisle Pawn Shop, 216 N. Main St., Mooresville, NC 28115, 704-663-5656
Gunner's Alley, LLC, 203 N. Harrison Ave., Ste. 130, Cary, NC 27513, www.gunnersalley.com, 919-388-1991, contact: Ed Guerriero, ed@gunnersalley.com
Patrick J. Phelan, Lake Norman Firearms, Inc., 20823 N. Main Street, Cornelius, NC 28031, www.lknfirearms.com, 704-892-7839
Vanguard Security Consulting, LLC, 19135 W. Catawba Ave, Cornelius, NC 28031
DoubleD Media, 8300 Raintree Lane, Charlotte, NC 28277, ph: 704-650-5555, fx: 704-544-0326, donna@doubledme.com

spydermn

First Form Response...but a good one! (I condensed the spacing to take up less screen space, other than that as it came to me)

Thank you again for your email. Please be assured that as a CCW holder, I intend to remain supportive of 2nd Amendment Rights throughout all steps of this bill.
I will be voting to support H650 at each step, right up to the final vote on 3rd reading on the House floor.

Regards,

Jonathan
Rep. Jonathan C. Jordan
93rd District – Deputy Majority Whip
Office 418C
Phone: (919) 733-7727
Email: jonathan.jordan@ncleg.net
BTW recieved within 24 hours of sent email

Last edited:

muccione

I got this one...

I agree with you 100% and will vote for HB 650.

Thank you for writing.

Would you like to be on my email list?

Sincerely,

Speaker Pro Tem Dale Folwell

jag06

Got this one today,

I will always vote for bills that strengthen Second Amendment rights for law abiding citizens.

Jeff

Rep. Jeff Collins

House District 25

16 W. Jones St. | Office 1006

Raleigh, NC 27601

919.733-5802

jag06

I got another good response today.

Dear Mr. Gore,

Thank you for your email. We are always glad to hear the opinions and concerns of our constituents. Representative McComas wanted me to let you know that you can count on his support of HB 650.

Thank you again for contacting us. If we can ever be of service, please do not hesitate to call our office.

Brandon Smith

Legislative Intern

Office of Representative Daniel McComas