• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Where can I find a list of OC laws for NC?

spydermn

I have had my intrest in OC renewed by this site. I usually carry CC, only OC while I am hunting/scouting.

I have looked in several different sites and searched as many terms as I can think of to find the laws surrounding OC in North Carolina, specifficaly Mecklenburg county. I can find a TON of info on CC but nothing outside of this site on OC.

Mostly I am wondering where I can and cannot carry BY THE LAW. I know not were weapons are prohibited by posting, but what about all the places you cannot CC (like my other question, to festivals and schools, hospitals etc). Thanks in advance.

Ruger

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
There is no such list. There are no laws on the books in NC directly pertaining to lawful OC.

Prohibited places are just that, regardless of your method of carry. One loophole, should you choose to exploit it, is when entering an establishment with a "no concealed weapons sign" (or entering an unposted financial institution, as the law specifically states that "concealed" weapons are prohibited). If your firearm is not concealed then you are not in violation - I would, however, expect to meet some kind of resistance in such a situation, as you are following the letter of the law & not the intent [raises flame shield].

You don't ask the government to create laws telling you what you may do. That creates a bad precedent.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

muccione

the laws on the books are only for what you CAN NOT DO.... There is no book telling you what you can do.....

chiefjason

Basically, if you only OC where you can CC then you stay on the right side of the law. There are a couple minor exceptions to this. The main one being that it's not illegal to OC in a bank. If you want to go to the CC scope of permit, then check all the statutes for prohibited places. You'll find that most of them ban OC and CC.

Dreamer

agreed muccine. but here is a link to a book that has the laws in it.

http://grnc.org/book_sales.htm

BTW, spydermn, if you are not a member of NC Grass Roots, IMO everyone that owns a gun should be a member

I have this book, and it is very informative, but it's a VERY dry read, and a little difficult to navigate, as the index is not the best, and there isn't much of a cross-reference list for laws or circumstances.

You pretty much just have to slog through the book, going off of chapter titles to find what you need. A little ponderous, but it is a good resource for NC Statute and Case Law regarding all things firearms.

This book would be a GREAT book if it were $19. At $29, it's a good resource if you are "bookish", or a research geek, but it's a little dense for someone who isn't a research nut, or familiar with reading legal documents. For nearly $30 for a medium-sized paperback, I would usually expect a little more in the way of index and cross-reference.

spydermn

So the readers digest list is:
No Schools
...Government Buildings
...Paid Admission Events
...Bars/Resturants that serve ALC
...Posted stores
...Parks

Did I miss anything in the GERERAL category. Yes I know there are a thousand vareations but this covers basics, right?

dmatting

It shall be presumed that any rifle or gun carried on a rack in a pickup truck at a holiday parade or in a funeral procession does not violate the terms of this act.

hehe ... that part is great. I love the logic - no handgun, but my AR on the rack is just fine.

BTW - Do they make racks for handguns?