Thread: Has anyone applied for CPL without a Washington State Driver's License of State ID?

Has anyone applied for CPL without a Washington State Driver's License of State ID?

RCW 9.41.070 states:

(1) The chief of police of a municipality or the sheriff of a county shall within thirty days after the filing of an application of any person, issue a license to such person to carry a pistol concealed on his or her person within this state for five years from date of issue, for the purposes of protection or while engaged in business, sport, or while traveling. However, if the applicant does not have a valid permanent Washington driver's license or Washington state identification card or has not been a resident of the state for the previous consecutive ninety days, the issuing authority shall have up to sixty days after the filing of the application to issue a license. The issuing authority shall not refuse to accept completed applications for concealed pistol licenses during regular business hours
    Has anyone applied and either not had a Valid Washington State Driver's License of State ID card? If so was there any hassle or refusal to accept the application? Any delay beyond the 60 day mark?

Just wondering.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

well,,,

yes,,, and no...
    out of state visitors have often gotten ,, same day CPLs in Silverdale!
    anybody that is right with the law will get it in 60 days.
    if you have a CPL from another state, you will probably get in sooner.
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

Quote Originally Posted by 1245A Defender View Post
    yes,,, and no...
    out of state visitors have often gotten ,, same day CPLs in Silverdale!
    anybody that is right with the law will get it in 60 days.
    if you have a CPL from another state, you will probably get in sooner.
    I was more interested if someone walked in and said "I have no ID" period, and what their experience was.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

I think what they are looking for is a photo ID to cross check to see if you are who you say you are. I personally know, if you are an non-resident alien, a passport works. (but then you may have to wait up to 60 days.) But then that is covered in 9.41.173

May have been more relivant before the instant fingerprint matching software was available. May still be relivant with someone that has never been fingerprinted.

Quote Originally Posted by hermannr View Post
    I think what they are looking for is a photo ID to cross check to see if you are who you say you are. I personally know, if you are an non-resident alien, a passport works. (but then you may have to wait up to 60 days.) But then that is covered in 9.41.173

May have been more relivant before the instant fingerprint matching software was available. May still be relivant with someone that has never been fingerprinted.
    Regardless of what "They are looking for" it appears on it's face that the law does not require ANY form of ID, picture or not, but merely provides the agency an additional 30 days to "vet" the applicant.

When I applied, I had not been here long and hadn't yet gotten my DL. I applied for an out of state CPL. Three days later, I went to the DOL and got my driver's license. A week and a half later, my resident's CPL came in the mail... *shrug*
    "If we were to ever consider citizenship as the least bit matter of merit instead of birthright, imagine who should be selected as deserved representation of our democracy: someone who would risk their daily livelihood to cast an individually statistically insignificant vote, or those who wrap themselves in the flag against slightest slights." - agenthex

I have an AZ DL and when I was here last summer I got my WA CPL in less than 3 weeks. (Everett PD)

Quote Originally Posted by amlevin View Post
    I was more interested if someone walked in and said "I have no ID" period, and what their experience was.
    I could be wrong here but with no ID period even getting fingerprints done in order to apply could be difficult. I know I had to show ID before Renton PD would 'print me, same for Okanogan County Sheriff.

Quote Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
    When I applied, I had not been here long and hadn't yet gotten my DL. I applied for an out of state CPL. Three days later, I went to the DOL and got my driver's license. A week and a half later, my resident's CPL came in the mail... *shrug*
    In Washington, there is no distinction between resident and non-resident CPL's. All that is different is the time frame to issue and the address that appears on the license. Other than that, everyone gets the exact same document.
    CZ 75B 9mm, Ruger P94 .40 S&W, Bersa Thunder .380, AR-15 Homebuild

Quote Originally Posted by j2l3 View Post
    In Washington, there is no distinction between resident and non-resident CPL's. All that is different is the time frame to issue and the address that appears on the license. Other than that, everyone gets the exact same document.
    Right, but when I went in to apply, they said I had to wait until I had my WA DL before I could apply. I then said "well, let me apply as a non-resident then". I don't recall if there was a checkbox for that or not. Either way, I was applying "without a Washington State DL or State ID".
    "If we were to ever consider citizenship as the least bit matter of merit instead of birthright, imagine who should be selected as deserved representation of our democracy: someone who would risk their daily livelihood to cast an individually statistically insignificant vote, or those who wrap themselves in the flag against slightest slights." - agenthex

Quote Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
    Right, but when I went in to apply, they said I had to wait until I had my WA DL before I could apply. I then said "well, let me apply as a non-resident then". I don't recall if there was a checkbox for that or not. Either way, I was applying "without a Washington State DL or State ID".
    Sounds like they didn't know the law. I would score that under the "hassle" column.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Isn't that the purpose of the fingerprints? To establish identity?
    No, why would fingerprints establish identity?
    Live Free or Die!

Then what other purpose would fingerprints serve?
    Since fingerprints are not collected by all citizens fingerprints can not establish identity. Predominantly fingerprints establish a criminal background and not identity.
    Live Free or Die!

Isn't that the purpose of the fingerprints? To establish identity?
    I'd think so. It might be illustrative to walk in, pay the fee, then tell the finger printer you have no ID, I'm not sure what they'd do.

The complement of proving who you are is proving who you are not.

It would be very interesting for someone to apply for a CPL without offering an identification document and whose fingerprints were not on file. It would be interesting to see if the courts would issue a Writ of Mandamus to order the sheriff the issue the CPL in that case. It certainly appears as if no identification is required to obtain the CPL.
    Since the stated purpose of a CPL is to prevent those with criminal records from carrying concealed it is only logical that prints would be on file for the criminals. Unless one has served in the Military or had prints taken for a Government Security Clearance, the chances of anyones prints already being on file are nil.

Just out out of curiosity, just what would the penalty be for any Sheriff or Police Chief who refused to issue? Doesn't seem to be one spelled out in the Statute?

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    The interesting thing is though that CPL is considered by some as a form of ID too.
    Last edited by sudden valley gunner; 06-06-2011 at 10:36 AM.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

RCW 9.41.0975 says that if the Court grants the person the Writ of Mandamus and orders the Sheriff to issue the CPL, than that person will be awarded their attorney's fees and costs. I don't know if that comes from the Sheriff or the state of Washington, though:

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.0975
    Thanks.

This places the penalty for the Sheriff or Police Chief's actions on the taxpayers. It would sure be more appropriate if the penalty was "loss of job".