• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

On the "Wild West"

AnderJaspo

Immediately after the incident in Yuma yesterday, I browsed through a couple of news articles concerning the tragedy. Typical MSM stuff... but one thing has been coming up alot lately and I'm not certain what to think of it.

Apparently, in the "Wild West," gun laws were more strict then they were today, and apparently some Arizona cities required you to check 'yer guns at the city limits, or some such.

I believe the county sheriff was quoted as saying this for yesterday's article, but the article seems to have been edited/moved/deleted and I can't find it, or I would cite it. It was on myfoxphoenix.com.

I'll continue doing my own research on this, but would love yall's input.

MR Redenck

I have only read about two issues in Arizona this year. The first was the Tuscon shootings where all the victims chose to be unarmed.
The second is the issue in Yuma, but im not sure if the victims chose to be unarmed or not.
It doesnt matter what kind of liberal comments people make. The shooting that happend in Arizona would have happend no matter what laws were inplace.
When people have the constitutional right to bear arms such as they do in Arizona, that right allows people to defend themselves. Criminals and people who have ill intent will carry guns no matter what. " The people in Arizona just have enough sence to understand good people dont need restrictions".
If you want to read about CRIME. Just google San Antonio, DFW, Houston, and Copus Christi for daily crimes. Texas is a perfect example of restricted 2nd amendment rights NOT HELPING people defend themselves.
If you get on the Texas gun website, all you will find are cops, CHL instructors, and brainwashed sheep who think having Licensed Concealed Carry is the only was to go. If you oppose their idea, you'll get attacked or banned by the sheeples moderators.
In the last week, Texas has had one LEO get assassinated and another DPS officer was shot during a traffic stop. " How many LEO's in Arizona are getting shot at"? I never hear about any to speak of.
So, if you wanting opinions about Constitutional carry, then all I can say is I love it.
Constitutional Carry does not create crime! All it does is freely allow the good citizens the right to bear arms in legal self defense. " Something the Texas gun lobby cant seem to figure out"!
I visit Arizona now and then and I also take advantage of your constitutional carry. When I come back to Texas they will thow me in jail if I carried a handgun without a license.
" Im just wondering why Texas doesnt require criminal to get a license"!!!!! I never heard of a criminal not committing a crime because they didnt have a carry license. :uhoh:

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
The 'Wild West' was a lot less wild than any other time and place in recorded human history. It got worse when they started preventing guns cuz the 'outlaws' ignored those rules, duh... If they're already willing to kill, which is a capital offense, does some rule that says 'no guns' really concern them? Who is dumb enough to think that giving criminals Carte Blanche could possibly make things better?

AnderJaspo

I should be more clear

Good points Mr Redneck!

But I should be clear that my belief that every law abiding citizen should be armed, that guns don't cause crime, etc... has never wavered; I just want to know much truth there is to this notion that the old west was this big lefty "gun control utopia" where you had to secure you guns before entering some cities, etc.

AnderJaspo

The 'Wild West' was a lot less wild than any other time and place in recorded human history. It got worse when they started preventing guns cuz the 'outlaws' ignored those rules, duh... If they're already willing to kill, which is a capital offense, does some rule that says 'no guns' really concern them? Who is dumb enough to think that giving criminals Carte Blanche could possibly make things better?

Unfortunately, alot of people are that dumb. We don't blame cars for road rage... and we shouldn't blame guns for violence.

In trying to locate an honest, unbiased view of the gun laws of the old west, I have only found, thus far, a swarm of anti/lefty/hate blogs about "gun nuts" and how we need gun control to save us, yada yada...

Sonora Rebel

Gun Laws in the old west?

Laws restrict what you can do... not allow you to do 'whatever'. That's always been the case but people still assume
laws 'allow'. Laws do not allow. Laws restrict, regulate or deny. Bearing arms is a right. The right is either recognized or not. It's that simple.

Last edited:

vanman80

My suggestion guys, and this may sound crazy, but if you want to know about gun control in the "Old West" then watch 1950 amd 1960s westerns. I would like to refernce a scene from El Dorado with "The Man" John Wayne. John Wayne is talking to Mississippi after he just stopped Mississippi from being killed. John Wayne tells Mississippi to get gun. Mississippi responds, "Well, oh Johnny Diamond didn't believe in guns", to which John Wayne respondes, "Johnny Diamond is dead, think about that...". I think that says it all in my opinion.