• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Walker either caved or betrayed us

bigdaddy1

Madison - After weeks of refusing to weigh in on what a bill to allow people to carry concealed weapons should look like, Gov. Scott Walker said Friday the measure should include requirements that people obtain permits and get training.

The move is a blow to some of Walker's fellow Republicans in the Senate who have tried to advance a bill that would allow people to carry hidden guns without getting permits or training. A bill that fits the description of "constitutional carry" was approved by a Senate committee last week, but some Republicans in the Senate have opposed the measure.

The Assembly has a different version of concealed carry that would require people to obtain permits, but not training.

Four states allow "constitutional carry," and only Wisconsin and Illinois have outright bans on carrying a concealed weapon.

Months ago, a Walker aide said Walker would sign any concealed carry legislation that got to him, but that was before the idea of "constitutional carry" had been proposed.

On Thursday, Milwaukee Police Chief Edward Flynn sharply criticized the bill allowing concealed carry with almost no restrictions and called on Walker to provide "adult supervision" over the legislation.

The governor responded with a statement: "If a concealed carry bill reaches my desk, it should include a permit and training provisions."

Walker spokesman Cullen Werwie said the statement does not necessarily mean the governor would veto "constitutional carry," but that Walker would prefer training and permits.

"It's premature to talk about vetoes, but certainly we're throwing our weight behind this one," Werwie said.

Reaction was divided.

Flynn did not return a request for comment but issued a statement through a department spokeswoman.

"Chief Flynn is very encouraged by Governor Walker's remarks," the statement read. "He is grateful that the governor is taking a leadership position.

"Public safety requires a permitting process assuring that only the law-abiding and competent carry a concealed weapon."

Nik Clark, chairman and president of Wisconsin Carry Inc., said Walker should back a pure version of "constitutional carry."

"I'm definitely disappointed that the governor doesn't take a principled and practical position on this," said Clark, a Milwaukee business executive.

"I'm disappointed the governor doesn't look at other states that don't require training or permits and see that they don't have any problems and recognize that there's no reason to have required permits and training here. I'm disappointed that in an era of smaller government and less taxes, the governor is advocating for more government and more taxes, in the form of an administration to issue permits and charge fees."

Clark said the bill moving through the Senate would require most people in Milwaukee to obtain a permit because much of the city falls within gun-free school zones. That should address Flynn's objections, he said.

If this is the case, he will be voted out.

paul@paul-fisher.com

Can you please point us to a sources? It makes it so much easier to write a letter to Walker if I can say "an article in xx said that you said".

Captain Nemo

Politicians such as Walker and Obama soon find out that "Talk is cheap. It takes money to buy beer". They campaign on the illusion that they have a no fail master plan that will save the country and the state and as a public we are so gullible we beleive them and elect them to office. Once in office the "big dogs" of the legislature, congress and political parties take them into the "back room" and explain things to them. The Dr. Jekyl becomes Mr. Hyde. When it comes to political pressure v public pressure the public loses. It suprises me not that Walker knew exactly what kind of carry bill he would support from day one. A veto would not suprise me in the least. He may be looking at a veto as political strategy. A veto would most certainly be over ridden but he can tell the anti gun factions such as Flynn "I tried". Don't let anything in politics surprise you. If it came to buying a car from a used car salesman and a politician I would pick the used car salesman every time. Our fight ain't over 'till the fat lady sings.

rimmer

Flynn Needs to shut up and go back to screwing other mens wives. Clarke needs to get a life, and Wray is so stupid he should just quit.
I hope that Walker is not getting his ideas from them.

oscar

Big Dipper

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what Stephen Fitzgerald and the Wisconsin State Patrol position is on constitutional carry?

Could it be that "Daddy" is leaning on his "boys" and that they in turn "told" Walker (a little bit of quid pro quo perhaps) what he was "allowed" to agree to?

Should the Fitzgerald boys be leaned on by those of us who believe that the Fitzgeralds (ALL 3 of them) should be supporting the U.S. and Wisconsin Constitutions?

It sure seems to me that there are a lot of LEOs in WI that think they will somehow be safer with licensing and "training" of the citizens (subjects?).

Grizz272

Just had the snot surprise out of me. I called My Rep LeMahieu to express my concern for constitutional carry. He called back He supports Constitutional carry however now that Walker has come out in favor of a license and training he said that is probably what we will end up with. He also said that he will push for the least restrictive license and training as possible.

MR Redenck

Use Texas for an Example.
Licensing does not prevent crime, does not prevent criminals from carrying, and it damn sure doesnt make a failsafe for accidents.
I read about Texas CHL holders doing something stupid all the time.
I know lots of people who carry concealed that do not have a license. Never hear about them doing something stupid.
That licensing and restrictions crap is only good for one thing, it gives the state power over who gets it! It doesnt prevent crime, it doesnt keep felons form carrying guns either.
Texas isnt crime free by no means. That just goes to show licensing has nothing to do with crime prevention.
Just about a week ago, a local DPS office gets shot in the shoulder on a traffic stop. Shot by a felon who was concealing a handgun. A couple of week ago, some gangbangers killed a Deputy in San Antonio.
YALL NEED TO PUT A STOP TO YOUR LEO'S RANTING ABOUT THIS LICENSING CRAP!

Wolf1477

I can't say I'm surprised...he *is* a politician after all. He made sure to keep quiet on his stance so we'd support him while the rest of the state went nuts.

Now he figures the ol' bait and switch will work, his reference to the POS bill that Doyle veto'd tells us what he wants. It would also appear that it could be a big step backward for our rights in that "possession of a gun without a license will be a felony" in either the CC bill he signs or a different bill after according to the one article. It (the quote in the article) doesn't say anything about possession of a *concealed* handgun...just possession, which will also mean the < 21 crowd won't be able to legally carry any more.

He needs to straighten up and fly right if he expects to live through the recall, he's already pissed off the liberals/unions, now he's working on the conservatives and going against his party line.

At least Doyle was honest in his dismissal/dislike of the 2A so we knew we weren't going to get anything. I mailed out a rational, non threatening, letter this afternoon asking him to rethink his position that I fully expect will get circular filed. Rather than acting like a child who doesn't get what he wants and make threats or throw a tantrum, I'll bide my peace and let my vote do my talking for me...while maintaining my weekly eMails/letters to the various senators/reps.

I don't get hot and belligerent, I get cold and clinical. Karma's a bitch.

Last edited:

Lurchiron

Flynn Needs to shut up and go back to screwing other mens wives. Clarke needs to get a life, and Wray is so stupid he should just quit.
I hope that Walker is not getting his ideas from them.

oscar

Even better would be for him to be surprised by an early returning husband...totally surprised.:eek::uhoh::cry:

Last edited:

scm54449

Opt-Out Members
Email sent to another conniving, manipulative, power-hungry politician named Walker. It would please me greatly to see an unholy alliance of liberals and conservative independents working together to impeach or recall (in 2012) our treacherous governor. :cuss: :banghead: :uhoh: :eek: ;););)

bigdaddy1

I will not support him if he diss'es us like that. He can be forced into early retirement and reap those collective bargaining entitlements.

Drakon

Walker just lost two votes in this household! If this guy thinks he can screw his supporters he is gonna pay a price come recall time!:banghead:

Last edited:

hardballer

Walkers recall will be a bit shaky. Two in this house will not be voting for him either... The name Walker is synonymous with liar as far as I am concerned...

AaronS

Even better would be for him to be surprised by an early returning husband...totally surprised.:eek::uhoh::cry:

I would have to guess after seeing who he was, that he was also armed...
And remember, he is a self admitted felon right now...
So what would your first reaction be? Yea, mine too...

Stay the hell away from my wife Flynn, you pig!

Last edited: