• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

new J-S poll on permits & training

cleveland

No matter the results of this poll, the majority of WI would prefer a bill with a permit and training component. In spite of much complaining about that, there really is little down side to it.

Uh-oh! You did it now! They are gonna get you. hehehehehehe

I just voted at 11:57

Gov. Scott Walker said Friday that any concealed carry bill should require would-be carriers to first obtain a permit and get training. Do you agree?
Yes (15%)
No (85%)
Total Responses: 10958

Wolf1477

LoL I just checked it this AM:

Yes: 18%
No: 82%
11641 total

hmmmm, yep...sounds like *we're* the "kook fringe"...cuz the majority is always the fringe right?

MKEgal

11AM Saturday:
15,537 votes
79% no permits/training
21% permits/training
Gee, isn't that the same % that voted to adopt the WI Constitutional amendment protecting RKBA?
This is in line with their other polls about 2A rights issues.
Let's see how long before this one gets "disappeared".

ksks said:
the majority of WI would prefer a bill with a permit and training component.
...there really is little down side to it.
...let's get together, support that, and make sure we have the best law we can.
This isn't something that's open to a vote. The majority does not decide rights.
What the legislators are doing (should have done long ago) is to bring WI laws in line with both the WI & US Constitutions.
The best law we can get is pure Constitutional Carry. Second best is CC w/ an optional permit.

And correct me if I'm misunderstanding, but once the laws are corrected we'd still be allowed to carry in our cars, as well as carrying concealed just about everywhere, without a permit. One version of the law had the "GF"SZ reeled in to be only the grounds of a school, so we wouldn't even be violating that state law by driving past.

The only good things I see about a permit:
1) don't worry about the federal "GF"SZ law
2) some states only honor home-state permits for concealed carry

Outdoorsman1 said:
requiring a permit would open the door for LEO to step on our constitutional rights by demanding to see a permit when we have done NOTHING illegal.
Not entirely true. I think it's Delaware v. Prouse that said police can't stop someone driving a car just to check to see if they have a valid permit. (That's why they make up lies about a tail light being out, or not stopping at a stop sign.)

Logically, an officer couldn't stop someone whom they suspect is carrying concealed just to check for a valid license. (So they'll think up some imaginary infraction, just as they do with cars.)

Last edited:

ksks

Putting some restrictions on constitutinal rights is not uncommon. No one has any unrestricted constitutional right. Even the right to be alive is not without limits.

So, the issue is not an unrestriced right. The issue is, what limitations will be put on the right. Since it will be restriced in some fashion (even ConCarry has limits) what limitations are we willing to put up with.

As far as the fee issue. The govt could waive the fee based on income as it does with a variety of things.

As far as training. One could demonstrate proficiency thru a course, or by other evidence.

Brendon .45

Peoples' Republic of Madison, Wisconsin, USA
As far as training. One could demonstrate proficiency thru a course, or by other evidence.

And who administers this required course? What other 'evidince' will count? What facilities will provide the course? At what cost? See where I'm going with this?

Maybe we should only let people with at least a B.A. in English or Journalism excercise their 1st amendment right. Will a certificate from MATC for completing a creative writing course qualify as 'other evidince'?

Archangel

No matter the results of this poll, the majority of WI would prefer a bill with a permit and training component. In spite of much complaining about that, there really is little down side to it.

There is a political downside for Republicans in pushing the ConCarry, esp in the times of the recalls. This give democrats much ammo to fight with when the republicans are seen as taking a stand that is outside the mainstream and seen by many as more extreme.

CC will pass and it will pass with a permit and training element. I'd say lets get together, support that, and make sure we have the best law we can.

Compromise much? Or is it more like selling out.

I believe that you are only allowed to vote once per computer.
Not true. You can clear cache or use multiple browsers (IE, FF, Opera, Safari, etc). Not that I am saying I would advocate that. Just getting the correct info out there.