Thread: Mt. Airy WalMart Open Carry...

Mt. Airy WalMart Open Carry...

Ok...so I decided to go to WalMart to see if they had 22 Mag rounds in stock. Of course I was open carrying, but haven't been carrying very long. I was at the counter talking to the Clerk in the sporting goods section of WalMart, asking him about the rounds I was wanting to purchase, and he noticed that I was carrying. He said that I was not supposed to be carrying openly or concealed in that store that there was a sign posted, and that I could receive a fine if caught. OK!...I have opened carried in that store a few times and have NOT had any problems...furthermore the first time I went into that store I look for a NO OPEN CARRY sign and did NOT see one. Am I missing something...has there been anyone else with this problem at that store???

Thanks, CD

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Should have asked for the Store Manager. He would have either reversed the clerk or confirmed the policy of that store.

If reversed, you'd have been good to go. If not, get mgr's name and leave - call corporate the next day.

You were breaking no law, so there is no fine. Store policy is not a statute nor ordinance - the most they can do is ask you to leave. If you do not comply, that is entirely a different matter.

Clerks with faulty knowledge are a PITA.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Hope this is cleared soon seeing as how I will be living in Mt. Airy for the summer and shop at the walmart once a week.

I OC in the Cary, Apex Wal-Mart on a regular basis and also buy ammunition without a question, also very friendly about OC. You should talk with management and/or corporate.

Walmarts policy is very clear. If it's legal in the state, it's legal in the store. BTDT got the Tshirt. The clerk is wrong, period. If you want to talk to someone at that store, ask to speak with the Asset Protection Mgr. Don't bother with the regular Mgr. Individual walmarts are not allowed to set their own policy. It's set on the corporate level.

I was I the Wilson Wally World about 6 yesterday, OCing my standard. Bought a toothbrush and then a box of ammo. I never got a strange look or directions from the help.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    Walmarts policy is very clear. If it's legal in the state, it's legal in the store. BTDT got the Tshirt. The clerk is wrong, period. If you want to talk to someone at that store, ask to speak with the Asset Protection Mgr. Don't bother with the regular Mgr. Individual walmarts are not allowed to set their own policy. It's set on the corporate level.
    Legality is not really the question nor the answer. It is a matter of policy/preference on private property based on whether statute law permits or does not permit such action.

It is a POV worth understanding. If laws do not permit carrying in an establishment, the owner has no option. Where laws are such that carrying would be legal, the owner may choose to allow or not. By "honoring the laws in which each store is located" (Wal-Mart's purported policy), they are choosing to allow, not by law but by choice.

In any retail establishment, regardless of their policy, you may be asked to leave by any representative of the company or risk arrest for trespass. Don't accept a clerk's negative direction - go to the top of the food chain, but leave in good form if so indicated and resolve the problem in the comfort of your home/office.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

As far as I have ever understood this, Walmart does not give each store the authority to make gun policies. That policy is set on the Corporate level. If local stores try to change that, they are corrected and brought in line with corporate policy. As a private property issue, they could make their own rules. But the corporate office does not let them. My point is, the store, manager, or associate does not have the ability to set policy above and beyond corporate. No matter how much they think they can, they will be corrected. I've played this game with my local Walmart. The Asst Mgr that got straightened out still looks at me a bit mean.

The last part I agree with. If you are asked to leave and don't, it's trespassing. And I would want a manager to tell me too.

Alot of people will try to tell you the rules or laws that they want, so it sounds like to me this person was either misinformed or they didnt want you to carry in the store because they are a bed wetter.

Thank-You...

Thank-you all for your replies. I had a felling that the clerk, who ironically sells guns for WalMart, is NOT open carry friendly. I find it kind of funny that after he told me that I wasn't supposed to open carry, he still sold me the ammunition that I requested...which tells me that the policy wasn't WalMarts but his own. However, having not open carried for very long, and not wanting to get into a confrontation, I purchased my ammunition and left. I wanted to do some research of my own.

CD

planecrazy, i liked to fell over when i read your post. i never go into the store unless i am open carrying. have had dozens of conversations with people at the sports counter and know for a fact they are firearm friendly. i have talked to Wayne the store manager while OCing. even given some of the front cashiers some hand outs. it must have been a new guy that misinterpreted the rule against employees not carrying.

be sure to join us for some meet and greets
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

"guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

Regular Member EricDailey X-NRA's Avatar

Dvr

Quote Originally Posted by PlaneCrazy1 View Post
    Thank-you all for your replies. I had a felling that the clerk, who ironically sells guns for WalMart, is NOT open carry friendly. I find it kind of funny that after he told me that I wasn't supposed to open carry, he still sold me the ammunition that I requested...which tells me that the policy wasn't WalMarts but his own. However, having not open carried for very long, and not wanting to get into a confrontation, I purchased my ammunition and left. I wanted to do some research of my own.

CD
    Do you use a Digital Voice Recorder?
    Get a DVR, a Digital Voice Recorder, carry it 24/7. It's cheap, easy and makes a good witness in Court.

Triangle Open Carry Meetup
    http://www.meetup.com/r/inbound/0/0/...ry/?a=sharetxt
    This is a link for a "gunz r welcome" sign.
    http://www.gunlaws.com/images/unity.gif
    FORUM RULES (14)
    ....This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life.

hey planecrazy. just got to wally world in Mt. airy. been busy. went back to the sporting goods counter and talked to Diann. i know she is pro gun. i have met her grand kids and everybody in her family shoots. i mentioned you post on here, she said she knew who it was and that she was there that night and she check just to make sure. she said everything was still cool for carrying and that the associate has been corrected.

hope to see you around sometime
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

"guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

Regular Member Large Caliber Kick's Avatar
    Mooresville, North Carolina, United States
    Planecrazy1,

A forum member of OCDO posted a sound file from their answering machine of a response from Wal Mart HQ concerning the OC policy in their stores and i wish someone would make it a sticky. I downloaded a copy of the file when I saw it and keep it on my phone for playback to educate misinformed employees who confront me about my oc'd firearm. I'll try to e-mail it to you since OCDO doesn't permit the upload of mp3 files. I hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Large Caliber Kick View Post
    Planecrazy1,

A forum member of OCDO posted a sound file from their answering machine of a response from Wal Mart HQ concerning the OC policy in their stores and i wish someone would make it a sticky. I downloaded a copy of the file when I saw it and keep it on my phone for playback to educate misinformed employees who confront me about my oc'd firearm. I'll try to e-mail it to you since OCDO doesn't permit the upload of mp3 files. I hope this helps.
    Free audio converter - top rated - there are others.
    http://www.avs4you.com/AVS-Audio-Con...FYaD5QodGgfCzw