• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Mt. Airy WalMart Open Carry...

PlaneCrazy1

Ok...so I decided to go to WalMart to see if they had 22 Mag rounds in stock. Of course I was open carrying, but haven't been carrying very long. I was at the counter talking to the Clerk in the sporting goods section of WalMart, asking him about the rounds I was wanting to purchase, and he noticed that I was carrying. He said that I was not supposed to be carrying openly or concealed in that store that there was a sign posted, and that I could receive a fine if caught:confused:. OK!...I have opened carried in that store a few times and have NOT had any problems...furthermore the first time I went into that store I look for a NO OPEN CARRY sign and did NOT see one. Am I missing something...has there been anyone else with this problem at that store???

Thanks, CD

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Should have asked for the Store Manager. He would have either reversed the clerk or confirmed the policy of that store.

If reversed, you'd have been good to go. If not, get mgr's name and leave - call corporate the next day.

You were breaking no law, so there is no fine. Store policy is not a statute nor ordinance - the most they can do is ask you to leave. If you do not comply, that is entirely a different matter.

Clerks with faulty knowledge are a PITA.

62 Caddy

I OC in the Cary, Apex Wal-Mart on a regular basis and also buy ammunition without a question, also very friendly about OC. You should talk with management and/or corporate.

chiefjason

Walmarts policy is very clear. If it's legal in the state, it's legal in the store. BTDT got the Tshirt. The clerk is wrong, period. If you want to talk to someone at that store, ask to speak with the Asset Protection Mgr. Don't bother with the regular Mgr. Individual walmarts are not allowed to set their own policy. It's set on the corporate level.

Northerner

I was I the Wilson Wally World about 6 yesterday, OCing my standard. Bought a toothbrush and then a box of ammo. I never got a strange look or directions from the help.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Walmarts policy is very clear. If it's legal in the state, it's legal in the store. BTDT got the Tshirt. The clerk is wrong, period. If you want to talk to someone at that store, ask to speak with the Asset Protection Mgr. Don't bother with the regular Mgr. Individual walmarts are not allowed to set their own policy. It's set on the corporate level.

Legality is not really the question nor the answer. It is a matter of policy/preference on private property based on whether statute law permits or does not permit such action.

It is a POV worth understanding. If laws do not permit carrying in an establishment, the owner has no option. Where laws are such that carrying would be legal, the owner may choose to allow or not. By "honoring the laws in which each store is located" (Wal-Mart's purported policy), they are choosing to allow, not by law but by choice.

In any retail establishment, regardless of their policy, you may be asked to leave by any representative of the company or risk arrest for trespass. Don't accept a clerk's negative direction - go to the top of the food chain, but leave in good form if so indicated and resolve the problem in the comfort of your home/office.

chiefjason

As far as I have ever understood this, Walmart does not give each store the authority to make gun policies. That policy is set on the Corporate level. If local stores try to change that, they are corrected and brought in line with corporate policy. As a private property issue, they could make their own rules. But the corporate office does not let them. My point is, the store, manager, or associate does not have the ability to set policy above and beyond corporate. No matter how much they think they can, they will be corrected. I've played this game with my local Walmart. The Asst Mgr that got straightened out still looks at me a bit mean.

The last part I agree with. If you are asked to leave and don't, it's trespassing. And I would want a manager to tell me too.

nobama

Alot of people will try to tell you the rules or laws that they want, so it sounds like to me this person was either misinformed or they didnt want you to carry in the store because they are a bed wetter.

PlaneCrazy1

Thank-You...

Thank-you all for your replies. I had a felling that the clerk, who ironically sells guns for WalMart, is NOT open carry friendly. I find it kind of funny that after he told me that I wasn't supposed to open carry, he still sold me the ammunition that I requested...which tells me that the policy wasn't WalMarts but his own. However, having not open carried for very long, and not wanting to get into a confrontation, I purchased my ammunition and left. I wanted to do some research of my own.

CD

papa bear

planecrazy, i liked to fell over when i read your post. i never go into the store unless i am open carrying. have had dozens of conversations with people at the sports counter and know for a fact they are firearm friendly. i have talked to Wayne the store manager while OCing. even given some of the front cashiers some hand outs. it must have been a new guy that misinterpreted the rule against employees not carrying.

be sure to join us for some meet and greets

EricDailey X-NRA

Dvr

Thank-you all for your replies. I had a felling that the clerk, who ironically sells guns for WalMart, is NOT open carry friendly. I find it kind of funny that after he told me that I wasn't supposed to open carry, he still sold me the ammunition that I requested...which tells me that the policy wasn't WalMarts but his own. However, having not open carried for very long, and not wanting to get into a confrontation, I purchased my ammunition and left. I wanted to do some research of my own.

CD

Do you use a Digital Voice Recorder?

papa bear

hey planecrazy. just got to wally world in Mt. airy. been busy. went back to the sporting goods counter and talked to Diann. i know she is pro gun. i have met her grand kids and everybody in her family shoots. i mentioned you post on here, she said she knew who it was and that she was there that night and she check just to make sure. she said everything was still cool for carrying and that the associate has been corrected.

hope to see you around sometime

Large Caliber Kick

Mooresville, North Carolina, United States
Planecrazy1,

A forum member of OCDO posted a sound file from their answering machine of a response from Wal Mart HQ concerning the OC policy in their stores and i wish someone would make it a sticky. I downloaded a copy of the file when I saw it and keep it on my phone for playback to educate misinformed employees who confront me about my oc'd firearm. I'll try to e-mail it to you since OCDO doesn't permit the upload of mp3 files. I hope this helps.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Planecrazy1,

A forum member of OCDO posted a sound file from their answering machine of a response from Wal Mart HQ concerning the OC policy in their stores and i wish someone would make it a sticky. I downloaded a copy of the file when I saw it and keep it on my phone for playback to educate misinformed employees who confront me about my oc'd firearm. I'll try to e-mail it to you since OCDO doesn't permit the upload of mp3 files. I hope this helps.

Free audio converter - top rated - there are others.
http://www.avs4you.com/AVS-Audio-Co...dWordsSearch&gclid=CLqV9KmwmqoCFYaD5QodGgfCzw