Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: OT: Moving, CPL, and handgun purchases

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    , ,

    Question OT: Moving, CPL, and handgun purchases

    Hey folks, I'm going to be moving soon, and have another 2 years on my CPL and DL (got them synced up) and I was wondering if I had to get a replacement CPL to reflect the new address when purchasing a firearm. I know I have to have the current address on my DL, but does it have to match the CPL if I buy a pistol and want to leave with it? The only thing I could find on the .gov website was that I didn't have to have a current address for it to be valid.

  2. #2
    Regular Member boosteddreams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Monroe, WA
    I was told when I moved that when you update your address with the DOL, your new address is linked to your CPL. I still have a California address printed on mine since that's where I lived when I first got it. I've bought two guns with that CPL and local ID and it hasn't been a problem.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Kent, Washington, USA

    Address update on CPL

    You do NOT have to update or get a new CPL for the new address. When you renew... you update. Now if you want to you certainly can get a new one with your new address.
    Change your address: Concealed pistol license
    Washington State law doesn’t require you to update the address on your concealed pistol license when you move.

    How to update your address
    The process to change the address on your concealed pistol license is the same as when you first applied, except you won’t be fingerprinted:
    Go to the law enforcement agency where you currently live.
    Complete an application, marking the “Replacement” box.
    Submit the application with the replacement fee.
    Depending on how busy the law enforcement agency is, you may be able to walk out with an updated license. Otherwise, they’ll contact you within a day or so to pick up your new license.

    Please contact us at:
    Phone: 360-664-6616
    Fax: 360-586-2726
    Firearms Section
    Department of Licensing
    PO Box 9649
    Olympia, WA 98507-9649
    Last edited by oldkim; 06-03-2011 at 10:56 PM.
    Young Kim, NRA Endowment Member
    NRA Certified Instructor (pistol)
    NRA Range Safety Officer

    "Shoot Safetly, Shoot Often and Share Your Sport!"
    Jim Scoutten, Shooting USA

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts