• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT: Moving, CPL, and handgun purchases

Voob

Hey folks, I'm going to be moving soon, and have another 2 years on my CPL and DL (got them synced up) and I was wondering if I had to get a replacement CPL to reflect the new address when purchasing a firearm. I know I have to have the current address on my DL, but does it have to match the CPL if I buy a pistol and want to leave with it? The only thing I could find on the .gov website was that I didn't have to have a current address for it to be valid.

boosteddreams

I was told when I moved that when you update your address with the DOL, your new address is linked to your CPL. I still have a California address printed on mine since that's where I lived when I first got it. I've bought two guns with that CPL and local ID and it hasn't been a problem.

oldkim

Address update on CPL

You do NOT have to update or get a new CPL for the new address. When you renew... you update. Now if you want to you certainly can get a new one with your new address.

http://www.dol.wa.gov/business/firearms/faconcealchange.html
Change your address: Concealed pistol license
Washington State law doesn’t require you to update the address on your concealed pistol license when you move.

How to update your address
The process to change the address on your concealed pistol license is the same as when you first applied, except you won’t be fingerprinted:
Go to the law enforcement agency where you currently live.
Complete an application, marking the “Replacement” box.
Submit the application with the replacement fee.
Depending on how busy the law enforcement agency is, you may be able to walk out with an updated license. Otherwise, they’ll contact you within a day or so to pick up your new license.

Questions?
Please contact us at:
Phone: 360-664-6616
Fax: 360-586-2726
Email: firearms@dol.wa.gov
Mail:
Firearms Section
Department of Licensing
PO Box 9649
Olympia, WA 98507-9649

Last edited: