• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Been Carrying On!

M-Taliesin

Howdy Folks!
For the past month or so, I've OC'd every day, nearly everywhere I've been recently. I haven't had a lick of trouble in Aurora, Brighton, Lakewood or other nearby cities. I tend to avoid Denver entirely.

Yesterday was typical. I had business in Lakewood and visited a local merchant while there. They didn't even blink as I walked in with my XDm on the strongside.

After I got home, I took the wife out to dinner in Aurora, and again, not much reaction from the folks who run the restuarant or the patrons. One couple walked in directly behind us, and I did notice their eyes go straight to my pistol. Later on, the gentleman told me that he came home one fine day and everything was stripped from his apartment, and the only thing left behind was their cat and the litter pan. I told him how my home was burglarized twice in Colorado Springs and how I'd been robbed at gun point in Aurora. I also told him that's why I have an alarm system at the house and everyone in our home is trained with handguns. I explained that I now carry my sidearm because you can never know when that moment will arrive that you'll need to defend yourself, and how the Supreme Court has ruled that you are responsible for your own defense. I talked briefly about the Delaney case, and he seemed surprised at the decision in that case.

Anyhow after dinner, we visited the Pet Smart to get some critter feed. The manager approached me and was very friendly and nice. I asked about a product I wanted and she looked with me but we didn't find what I wanted. Again, no fuss about my firearm.

That's how things have been since I started carrying. Nobody says anything, and I haven't been confronted by an LEO either.

Now I am wondering what all my early apprehension was about. Guess it was just a case of jitters when entering unknown territory. Now I go about my business confidently and simply mind my own affairs while others leave me be. But it has provided an opportunity or two to talk about open carry and share my views with others.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

RandallFlagg

Excellent.
I admit, there's still some apprehension on this in me. I just got my CCW and would hate to lose it for something as not knowing all of the laws, rules and issues.
So, it's legal everywhere except the usual places (Schools, gov buildings, "Firearms Prohibited," signs, metal detectors AND Denver)?

Also, do you keep a recording device on you whenever you're OCing?

JamesB

Excellent.
I admit, there's still some apprehension on this in me. I just got my CCW and would hate to lose it for something as not knowing all of the laws, rules and issues.
So, it's legal everywhere except the usual places (Schools, gov buildings, "Firearms Prohibited," signs, metal detectors AND Denver)?Also, do you keep a recording device on you whenever you're OCing?

You skipped post office and the bar (after you've had your second). other than that, ya.

RandallFlagg

You skipped post office and the bar (after you've had your second). other than that, ya.

Post office, being government property?
And bars? I didn't know that. My instructor said that you can go into a bar CCW, and you can drink CCW, but you can not be drunk while CCW.
Different with open carrying, I take it?

JUST Denver, eh?
City AND County?

JamesB

Post office, being government property?
And bars? I didn't know that. My instructor said that you can go into a bar CCW, and you can drink CCW, but you can not be drunk while CCW.
Different with open carrying, I take it?

JUST Denver, eh?
City AND County?

No, you got it right the first time.
I singled out the post office as that is the most often frequented federal facility and many people don't think of it as a federal facility. I was just clarifying for others what you already knew.

Bars are also just as you said.
You can OC into a bar, you can CC into a bar. You can drink while OCing, you can drink while CCing. You cannot be drunk while OC or CC or simply in posession. This is why I say you cant carry in a bar (after your second drink).
Sad to say many people (including myself) have had a difficult time figuring out when am I drinking and when am I drunk. I have just stopped drinking, my guns were more important to me. But for others, a two drink rule is generally sufficient.

You sound like you have a pretty firm grip of what the rights and wrongs are. Carry on.

RandallFlagg

No, you got it right the first time.
I singled out the post office as that is the most often frequented federal facility and many people don't think of it as a federal facility. I was just clarifying for others what you already knew.

Bars are also just as you said.
You can OC into a bar, you can CC into a bar. You can drink while OCing, you can drink while CCing. You cannot be drunk while OC or CC or simply in posession. This is why I say you cant carry in a bar (after your second drink).
Sad to say many people (including myself) have had a difficult time figuring out when am I drinking and when am I drunk. I have just stopped drinking, my guns were more important to me. But for others, a two drink rule is generally sufficient.

You sound like you have a pretty firm grip of what the rights and wrongs are. Carry on.

Sweet. Good to know.
So, taking my Sons to the park on 120th and Grant with my pistol in the open shouldn't be an issue?

JamesB

Sweet. Good to know.
So, taking my Sons to the park on 120th and Grant with my pistol in the open shouldn't be an issue?

I do not know that specific park so...

At the enterance to the park there is a sign that lists park rules. (no glass containers, hours 8am-10 pm, pets muct be leashed etc...) It can be listed there, if not and it's outside City & County, good to go.

Make sure to check the signage.

ZackL

120th and Grant is outside of Denver by about 70 blocks, if I remember correctly. There is a map on here somewhere that you can see where the boundaries to Denver are, and it's pretty accurate considering Denver created and published the map.

M-Taliesin

Sweet. Good to know.

Howdy Pard!
The park in question would be in Thornton. Or maybe Northglenn. I can never tell where one township starts and the other ends. But it don't matter. They would be subject to statewide preemption, which is honored everywhere except City and County of Denver.

That being said, Colorado revised statute requires that a local government may deny carry of firearms in specific locations but must post that information at each of the entrances to such building or specific area:

29-11.7-104. Regulation - carrying - posting.

A local government may enact an ordinance, regulation, or other law that prohibits the open carrying of a firearm in a building or specific area within the local government's jurisdiction. If a local government enacts an ordinance, regulation, or other law that prohibits the open carrying of a firearm in a building or specific area, the local government shall post signs at the public entrances to the building or specific area informing persons that the open carrying of firearms is prohibited in the building or specific area.

Hope this helps to answer your question!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

RandallFlagg

Howdy Pard!
The park in question would be in Thornton. Or maybe Northglenn. I can never tell where one township starts and the other ends. But it don't matter. They would be subject to statewide preemption, which is honored everywhere except City and County of Denver.

That being said, Colorado revised statute requires that a local government may deny carry of firearms in specific locations but must post that information at each of the entrances to such building or specific area:

29-11.7-104. Regulation - carrying - posting.

A local government may enact an ordinance, regulation, or other law that prohibits the open carrying of a firearm in a building or specific area within the local government's jurisdiction. If a local government enacts an ordinance, regulation, or other law that prohibits the open carrying of a firearm in a building or specific area, the local government shall post signs at the public entrances to the building or specific area informing persons that the open carrying of firearms is prohibited in the building or specific area.

Hope this helps to answer your question!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

That's kind of what I was hoping for.
Thank you much.
(I wonder what would happen if about a dozen of us took our kids there some weekend while open carrying)

M-Taliesin

That's kind of what I was hoping for.
Thank you much.
(I wonder what would happen if about a dozen of us took our kids there some weekend while open carrying)

Howdy RandallFlagg!
Love your handle, BTW.
I suspect the answer to your latest musing would be that about a dozen of us would be fined or dragged off to jail while the wives took the kiddies home!

Assuming it is posted against open carry.
Then again, there's always Dennys!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Last edited:

RandallFlagg

Howdy RandallFlagg!
Love your handle, BTW.
I suspect the answer to your latest musing would be that about a dozen of us would be fined or dragged off to jail while the wives took the kiddies home!

Assuming it is posted against open carry.
Then again, there's always Dennys!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

I admit, when I go to that park, I didn't check for, "Open Carry" restrictions. I did check for, "No Firearms," on the sign and there were none.
Northglenn seems to be very detailed on that point:

http://www.northglenn.org/municode/ch4/content_4-7.html
Section 4-7-1. Open Carrying of Firearms in Public Places Prohibited.

(a)Pursuant to § 29-11.7-104 of the Colorado General Statutes, as amended, it is unlawful for any person to openly carry any firearm in any public place where there is posted a sign indicating that the open carrying of firearms is prohibited.

(b)The sign referenced in subsection (a) must be at least twelve inches wide and eighteen inches high and located by each public entrance to the public place. Furthermore, the sign must contain the following notice in type that is at least one-half inch in height:

WARNING

IT IS ILLEGAL TO OPENLY CARRY A FIREARM IN THIS PUBLIC AREA.

IF CONVICTED, THE COURTS MAY IMPOSE A FINE OF UP TO $999.00 AND UP TO ONE YEAR IN JAIL FOR A VIOLATION OF THIS PROVISION.​

M-Taliesin

I admit, when I go to that park, I didn't check for, "Open Carry" restrictions. I did check for, "No Firearms," on the sign and there were none.
Northglenn seems to be very detailed on that point:

http://www.northglenn.org/municode/ch4/content_4-7.html
Section 4-7-1. Open Carrying of Firearms in Public Places Prohibited.

(a)Pursuant to § 29-11.7-104 of the Colorado General Statutes, as amended, it is unlawful for any person to openly carry any firearm in any public place where there is posted a sign indicating that the open carrying of firearms is prohibited.

(b)The sign referenced in subsection (a) must be at least twelve inches wide and eighteen inches high and located by each public entrance to the public place. Furthermore, the sign must contain the following notice in type that is at least one-half inch in height:

WARNING

IT IS ILLEGAL TO OPENLY CARRY A FIREARM IN THIS PUBLIC AREA.

IF CONVICTED, THE COURTS MAY IMPOSE A FINE OF UP TO $999.00 AND UP TO ONE YEAR IN JAIL FOR A VIOLATION OF THIS PROVISION.​

Howdy Again!
I'd assume if it ain't posted, it ain't prohibited.
Of course, it might be easier to avoid the problem by assuming trouble might come out of it and err on the side of caution.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

RandallFlagg

Howdy Again!
I'd assume if it ain't posted, it ain't prohibited.
Of course, it might be easier to avoid the problem by assuming trouble might come out of it and err on the side of caution.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

I always do. Thanks.

RandallFlagg

My Sons and I just got back from that park, and I found the sign:

Attachments

• EBRainesSign.jpg
    EBRainesSign.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 113

Anubis

technical note

Northglenn's ordinance 4-7-1 refers to CO statute 29-11.7-104, but fails to mention the key "all entrances must be posted" provision. Unless that park is fenced and these signs are at each entrance...