• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Three men charged with having uncased firearms in a vehicle: a golf cart.

M

McX

obviously the charges were brought against them for treading on the rights of the raccoons and skunks. i smell a skunk here too.

protias

How is the law written for permission from the owner to carry loaded firearms in vehicles on private property?

Fallschirjmäger

This is going to hinge upon the definition of 'vehicle' in Wisconsin's laws. Of course, a moment spent exiting the golf cart and uncasing the rifles would have prevented almost any charges,... right?

Last edited:

Fallschirjmäger

Transporting Firearms in Motor Vehicles, Boats, or Aircraft. In general, no one may
place, possess, or transport a firearm in a motor vehicle, motorboat, or aircraft unless the firearm
is unloaded and in a carrying case. Loading or discharging a firearm in or from a vehicle
is also prohibited [ss. 167.31 (2) (a) and (b), and (3) (a)].

So, let's look at 167.31 (2) (a) and (b)
"...(2) Prohibitions; motorboats and vehicles; highways and roadways.
(a) Except as provided in sub. (4), no person may place, possess or transport a firearm, bow or crossbow in or on a motorboat with the motor running, unless the firearm is unloaded or unless the bow or crossbow is unstrung or is enclosed in a carrying case.
(b) Except as provided in sub. (4), no person may place, possess or transport a firearm, bow or crossbow in or on a vehicle, unless the firearm is unloaded and encased or unless the bow or crossbow is unstrung or is enclosed in a carrying case..."
(( (3) (a) concerns aircraft, so I'm not even bothering until I see the first flying golf cart.))

"Vehicle" is defined in 340-01-74
(74) "Vehicle" means every device in, upon, or by which any person or property is or may be transported or drawn upon a highway, except railroad trains. A snowmobile or electric personal assistive mobility device shall not be considered a vehicle except for purposes made specifically applicable by statute.

Are golf carts registered and licensed for operation on public roads in Wis?

Last edited:

smithman

There is no private property exemption for the vehicle carry statute. This is because it was originally pitched as a way to stop poaching. Wherever you are, as soon as you enter your vehicle with a loaded and/or uncased gun you are violating the statute.

usamarshal

Whats the definition of a motor vehicle in WI? It may not be considered one as you don't need to register a golf cart on private property...in Ohio you can have an ATV thats not registered, but you can not operate the ATV on public roadways unless its registered.

Fallschirjmäger

Actually... there is an exception....
"... 167.31(4)(bg)1g. 1g.
Subsection (2) (b) and (c) does not apply to a landowner, a family member of the landowner, or an employee of the landowner who is using a firearm, bow, or crossbow to shoot wild animals from a farm tractor or an implement of husbandry on the landowner's land that is located in an area designated by the department of natural resources as a chronic wasting disease eradication zone..."

and
"... (bt) Subsection (2) (b) does not apply to the placement, possession, or transportation of an unloaded firearm in or on a vehicle if all of the following apply:
1. The vehicle is a self-propelled motor vehicle with 4 rubber-tired wheels.
2. The vehicle is not certified by the manufacturer for on-road use.
3. The vehicle is not an all-terrain vehicle, as defined in s. 340.01 (2g).
4. The vehicle is being used to transport individuals involved in sport shooting activities at sport shooting ranges, as defined in s. 895.527 (1), and is not being used to transport individuals involved in hunting.
5. The vehicle is being operated entirely on private property and is not being operated in the right-of-way of any highway..."

... but it appears inapplicable in the case cited.

Last edited:

MKEgal

why were they arrested??

cited for having an uncased firearm in a vehicle following their arrest
So why, exactly, were they arrested in the first place?
167.31 is at most a $100 ticket.
It's not a crime, so there's no authority to arrest for it.
(I can show you a memo from the Chief of the Brookfield PD & a letter from the Waukesha County DA to back that up.)

Last edited:

LR Yote 312

I was raised around the farming community...

Back then it used to be kind of a standard practice to carry either a .22 rifle or .410 or .20ga shotgun and take out any coon or pheasants while corn chopping in the cab....usually just a single shot weapon...or any 'chucks during the haying seasons.

I do know of several local farmers that have been cited for an uncased gun in/on a motor vehicle recently.

I also do quite abit of "critter control" for some farmers.
And Yes.... it IS legal to shoot certain critters in the off season.

There are certian critieria that need to be met...small game license and a couple other things,but it is possible to coon and other furbearers as a "land owners assistant".

Coyotes,Skunks,Oppossum are considered "varmints" and have no restrictions (except for coyote in the Northern Parts of the State during the deer season) and can be hunted year round.Only requirement is a small game license..

Raccoon on the other hand is considered a game animal as well as being a "fur bearer"...
They can be shot under the land owners assistant clause,but unless you have filed and recieved a special permit from the DNR you can not use or sell the fur from any animal that was harvested out of season,and are also required to dispose of the animal in a sanitary manner.

My own thought is some Liberal didnt like the idea critters were being shot...so they called the DNR or Sherriff....otherwise who would have known they were using a golf cart.

Far as the transport law ....I suppose that is one reason I became a long range precision marksman.
By the time I walked out the critter was gone.
Load the cased rifle in the Jeep,Drive out...take the rifle out and load up. Critter Gone.

Shoot it from where ya see it....Dead Critter.

LR Yote

Last edited:

Interceptor_Knight

This is going to hinge upon the definition of 'vehicle' in Wisconsin's laws. Of course, a moment spent exiting the golf cart and uncasing the rifles would have prevented almost any charges,... right?

Whats the definition of a motor vehicle in WI? It may not be considered one as you don't need to register a golf cart on private property...in Ohio you can have an ATV thats not registered, but you can not operate the ATV on public roadways unless its registered.

The definition of vehicle does not require it to have a motor. A "vehicle" includes trailers and wagons (even your kid's Radio Flyer). An animal (horse,dog, pig, cow, large opossum, etc) is about the only thing you may ride on with a firearm which is not unloaded and "encased".

340.01 (74),“Vehicle” means every device in, upon, or by which any
person or property is or may be transported or drawn upon a highway,
except railroad trains.

lockman

State Researcher
Although this may be moot in a few months, this would make an excellent legal challenge. Does the motor vehicle restriction extend it's reach to private property where the vehicles do not leave the property?

oak1971

in some comunities they are being licensed for road use Reedsburg wi where columbia parcar make golf carts people are driving them all over the place wi dells is also thinking about passing it to let people use them on the road

Maybe so. However, this was on a golf course at the third hole, not downtown Mayberry.

Interceptor_Knight

Although this may be moot in a few months, this would make an excellent legal challenge. Does the motor vehicle restriction extend it's reach to private property where the vehicles do not leave the property?

There is no "motor vehicle" restriction. 167.31 prohibits you from having a firearm in or on a "vehicle" (no motor required). There is no blanket exception for private property, not even if your little red wagon is sitting in your living room.