• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Thurston County Superior Court - Tumwater

sudden valley gunner

Yes... BUT..... if i am handling a firearm in a courthouse (even just to place or remove it from the lockbox) I much prefer to be "supervised" by a LEO standing right next to me. The last thing i want is to be standing solo with a pistol in my hand, and have some clueless LEO walk around the corner and pop 3 in my chest thinking he saved the day.

I do it all the time if it is obvious you are putting your gun in a lock box I don't think your scenario is likely. But looking at the actions of some cops ........

Personally I want the least amount of intrusion as possible.

TheJeepster

Mason County Courthouse in Shelton has a sign on the door restricting ANY weapons as allowed in the building. Based on previous discussions I have seen here I figured they were just unaware of the law. Upon entering the building I saw that there were NO metal detectors and the courtrooms had direct access throughout the entire blgd.

Based on how the bldg layout was...is would absolutely be against the law to take your weapon into the bldg. As for having a place to store, or hold, your weapon one was not apparent. There was a cop shop next door...

jddssc121

Mason County Courthouse in Shelton has a sign on the door restricting ANY weapons as allowed in the building. Based on previous discussions I have seen here I figured they were just unaware of the law. Upon entering the building I saw that there were NO metal detectors and the courtrooms had direct access throughout the entire blgd.

Based on how the bldg layout was...is would absolutely be against the law to take your weapon into the bldg. As for having a place to store, or hold, your weapon one was not apparent. There was a cop shop next door...

they are still required to have a place to secure the firearm *in the same building*.... cop shop next door doesn't count.

1911er

Respectfully, what difference does it make who puts the gun in the lockbox? Sounds to me like the Thurston County Superior Court has chosen to designate an official to receive the gun. Does it really matter if you hand him your gun or hand him the key to lock box the gun is in? We keep nitpicking this to death and Thurston County could just say, "OK, want to play that game? We'll just have you give your gun to the deputy at the metal detector then, and we won't let you do anything else with it."

At least the way they are doing business, there is still a designated official who receives custody of your gun, just like the law allows.... but at least you get to choose how gently the gun is placed in the lockbox!

Or, if the local deli had a lunch special that said "Turkey or ham sandwich for $4.00". "I'll have a ham sandwich, please!" "I'm sorry, you can't have a ham sandwich because we still have Turkey sandwiches left...."

If they have control over the key who is to say they are not taking your weapon and running checks on it while it is in their care( 4th amendment illegal search)

sudden valley gunner

Except for the common egress....so you are allowed to take your firearm into the entrance area. Bellingham Municipal court is the the same way they have lock boxes though, and I have carried to the prosecutors office on the first floor since the courts are on the 2nd.

jddssc121

If they have control over the key who is to say they are not taking your weapon and running checks on it while it is in their care( 4th amendment illegal search)

and if they don't have lockboxes, and only have a "designated official", who's to say they're not doing that as well?

Your point may be valid, but doesn't have much to do regarding the legality of keeping the key in light of RCW 9.41.300

TheJeepster

Except for the common egress....so you are allowed to take your firearm into the entrance area. Bellingham Municipal court is the the same way they have lock boxes though, and I have carried to the prosecutors office on the first floor since the courts are on the 2nd.

There was a courtroom on the first floor also. The setup is really open and the common egress is open to the courts. again...if they have a lock box or place to secure your weapon it wasn't eveident. There wasn't even a LEO present.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
As long as the court has a place to turn in my firearm, either by lock box/key or a designated official I am good.

I will add to this one caveat, under no circumstance do I believe that the local official has the right to handle my firearm other than to safely hold it for me. NO unloading of my firearm. NO running of the serial number. Return the firearm to me exactly as I handed it to the official.

I have on a few occasions turned my handgun to the official at two different courts to have it handed back out of my holster and unloaded. (I always wear a holster in which the firearm can be left in the holster when removed from my belt) This unloading and thus UNARMING of the citizen completely and utterly defies the spirit of the law. The spirit of the law is that at all times the citizen is entitled to the right to protect themselves and not have to be undefended at any time.

sudden valley gunner

There was a courtroom on the first floor also. The setup is really open and the common egress is open to the courts. again...if they have a lock box or place to secure your weapon it wasn't eveident. There wasn't even a LEO present.

That doesn't mean you are not allowed in the door though, even with the court room. Do they have a receptionist, info area? I would OC in there and ask the person there how do you check a firearm in accordance with state law.

I did this at Mt. Vernon and the lady cop behind the counter told me "Smart people leave their weapons at home". When I opened the flyer and showed them state law the other cop said "Well I guess we would have to hold on to it for you".

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Originally Posted by jddssc121
http://tinyurl.com/3sntcuh
Cute, but irrelevant. I wanted to know where (S)HE thought it came from.

I was stationed in "the south" for many years. This is a common term in the deep south for stupid ideas and other things that just do not work.

TechnoWeenie

That doesn't mean you are not allowed in the door though, even with the court room. Do they have a receptionist, info area? I would OC in there and ask the person there how do you check a firearm in accordance with state law.

I did this at Mt. Vernon and the lady cop behind the counter told me "Smart people leave their weapons at home". When I opened the flyer and showed them state law the other cop said "Well I guess we would have to hold on to it for you".

few responses...

1. Why do you have yours? I thought they had IQ requirements to become an officer, being that smart people leave theirs at home...

2. I guess I'm one of those 'not smart people' who wants to ensure his safety.

3. Did you hear that? (pauses)... That's the sound of no one agreeing with you.

4. I'll gladly leave it at home if you will be by my side 24 hours a day..

sudden valley gunner

few responses...

1. Why do you have yours? I thought they had IQ requirements to become an officer, being that smart people leave theirs at home...

2. I guess I'm one of those 'not smart people' who wants to ensure his safety.

3. Did you hear that? (pauses)... That's the sound of no one agreeing with you.

4. I'll gladly leave it at home if you will be by my side 24 hours a day..

:lol: Funny ...

Would you REALLY want that? To keep company 24/7 with someone that dumb?

For me that would be like going back to my ex-wife.

and another funny....thanks guys needed the chuckle.

Tawnos

Originally Posted by jddssc121
http://tinyurl.com/3sntcuh
Cute, but irrelevant. I wanted to know where (S)HE thought it came from.

I was stationed in "the south" for many years. This is a common term in the deep south for stupid ideas and other things that just do not work.

I was asking because it was the second time I'd ever heard that saying, and the first was in this article: http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2011/06/05/thats-not-in-the-bible/?hpt=hp_c1