• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Federal Gun Free School Zones Mapped in Billings

Eagle2009

Here is a map of the Title 18 USC 922(q) Federal Gun Free School Zones in Billings. Under the Federal Gun Free School Zones Act of 1995, it is a federal felony for any person to travel armed on public sidewalks, roads, or highways that pass within 1000 feet of the property line of any K-12 school, unless they have a carry permit physically issued by the State in which the school is in. Permit reciprocity, and unlicensed carry do not protect an individual from the federal law. The zones on the map are circular, and are smaller than the actual zones, which are measured from the school's property line. It is a felony for a permit holder or off-duty police officer to discharge their firearm in a school zone under any circumstances.

billingsgfsza.jpg

Last edited:

N605TW

Activist Member
Would the law it self hold up in court? I thought the preceding similar law was struck down as unconstitutional.

Eagle2009

The revised law has been upheld by nearly every circuit at the appellate level

See United States v Dorsey (2005) (This one specifically reviewed the changes made after the law was struck down, and found the changes were sufficient to correct the defects that had caused it to be struck down)

United States v Danks (1999)

United States v Haywood (2002)

United States v Smith (2005)

United States v Nieves Castano (2007)

United States v Weekes (2007)

United States v Benally (2007)

United States v Cruz-Rodrigues (2008)

N605TW

Activist Member
Thanks for the links Eagle2009. Maybe I should do more research before opening my mouth, or keyboard as the case may be.

MT GUNNY

45-8-360. Establishment of individual licensure. In consideration that the right to keep and bear arms is protected and reserved to the people in Article II, section 12, of the Montana constitution, a person who has not been convicted of a violent, felony crime and who is lawfully able to own or to possess a firearm under the Montana constitution is considered to be individually licensed and verified by the state of Montana within the meaning of the provisions regarding individual licensure and verification in the federal Gun-Free School Zones Act.

History: En. Sec. 1, Ch. 317, L. 1995; amd. Sec. 1, Ch. 29, L. 1997.

http://data.opi.mt.gov/bills/mca/45/8/45-8-360.htm

MT GUNNY

Yea well i got the 10Th Amendment, NRA http://nradefensefund.org/ Anthony scalia, CCP that says Ive been checked out, A Positive attitude, clean record. the chances that a fed will arrest me are slim! By the way If it wasn't for the Montana Exception, Thousands of citizens would be arrested every day here in Montana. because there are thousands of hunters living right across the road from Every school in Montana, so they would all be in violation the second they walked out of there house to go shooting!

Aubb

I live within 1000 feet of a school,and I open carry crossing school property all the time,without a permit!
And when enought Montanans stand up to this unconstitutional crap,the feds will be put back in to their place.