• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in Littleton and N. Conway?

Freiheit417

I was wondering if any New Hampshirites could provide insight as to the "political climate" of Littleton and N. Conway as far as OC is concerned? I just recently visited there over the Memorial Day weekend and CC'd since I have a NH non-resident permit. Everyone I met was really friendly and I thoroughly enjoyed my visit, but I have to wonder what the reaction would have been if I had been OC'ing?

Since it was a holiday weekend, I saw tons of non-residents from Mass, NY, and even Canada. Anyone ever OC in these towns and have a negative reaction from residents or non-residents? I didn't see anyone OC'ing during my visit, but I did spot one guy at the outlets in N. Conway CC'ing (I saw the little clip on his belt from his IWB holster.) :lol:

Anyone think it would be a bad idea to OC there given all the vistors from Mass and NY? Anyone have experience with LEO's in those towns?

Thanks so much.

doobie

I was wondering if any New Hampshirites could provide insight as to the "political climate" of Littleton and N. Conway as far as OC is concerned? I just recently visited there over the Memorial Day weekend and CC'd since I have a NH non-resident permit. Everyone I met was really friendly and I thoroughly enjoyed my visit, but I have to wonder what the reaction would have been if I had been OC'ing?

Since it was a holiday weekend, I saw tons of non-residents from Mass, NY, and even Canada. Anyone ever OC in these towns and have a negative reaction from residents or non-residents? I didn't see anyone OC'ing during my visit, but I did spot one guy at the outlets in N. Conway CC'ing (I saw the little clip on his belt from his IWB holster.) :lol:

Anyone think it would be a bad idea to OC there given all the vistors from Mass and NY? Anyone have experience with LEO's in those towns?

Thanks so much.

I've OCd up in N. Conway and around the White Mountains before. Never had a problem.

nhsig220

I OC all around the North Country on a daily basis, including the areas in question and have never, ever had a problem.

KBCraig

A couple of weeks from now, not too far from there, a couple of thousand people will descend on Roger's Campground in Lancaster for the annual Porcupine Freedom Festival. The number of people OC'ing in NH will probably quadruple that week, if not several multiples above that.

From my personal experience visiting the North Country, not a single person batted an eye at OC. North Conway is more of a tourist destination, with a higher proportion of people from southern New England and New York. Some outsiders might faint, but you're not likely to get any official response. And of course, business owners are always free to ask you to leave if your OC upsets the flatlanders with platinum cards (a perfectly understandable response).

Freiheit417

A couple of weeks from now, not too far from there, a couple of thousand people will descend on Roger's Campground in Lancaster for the annual Porcupine Freedom Festival. The number of people OC'ing in NH will probably quadruple that week, if not several multiples above that.

My goal is to definitely make it to Porcfest one of these years...

From my personal experience visiting the North Country, not a single person batted an eye at OC. North Conway is more of a tourist destination, with a higher proportion of people from southern New England and New York. Some outsiders might faint, but you're not likely to get any official response. And of course, business owners are always free to ask you to leave if your OC upsets the flatlanders with platinum cards (a perfectly understandable response).

So, it sounds like it would be pretty much a YAWN from local LEO's. At worst, perhaps an opportunity to enlighten those from states that have less freedom? To "borrow" a line from Doobie, I could always smile and just say "Welcome to New Hampshire - guns are legal here." :cool:

As far as businesses asking me to leave - that would be their choice if they choose to lose my business. However, that would certainly be their loss since I did a LOT of shopping while I was there.

Thanks all for the responses. I think I will be visiting the "Live Free or Die" state much more often.

Carry on.

doobie

My goal is to definitely make it to Porcfest one of these years...

So, it sounds like it would be pretty much a YAWN from local LEO's. At worst, perhaps an opportunity to enlighten those from states that have less freedom? To "borrow" a line from Doobie, I could always smile and just say "Welcome to New Hampshire - guns are legal here." :cool:

As far as businesses asking me to leave - that would be their choice if they choose to lose my business. However, that would certainly be their loss since I did a LOT of shopping while I was there.

Thanks all for the responses. I think I will be visiting the "Live Free or Die" state much more often.

Carry on.

And my next favorite to say quite...but borrowing it from a former attorney general..... "Another persons annoyance or alarm does not override my Rights."

Freiheit417

OC update

Hello all,

I visited this area once again, but this time I OC'd at the outlets in North Conway and while hiking in the White Mountains. I also OC'd at the McDonalds in N. Conway. I have to say, all of the people working in the stores were again very friendly.

Nobody batted an eye or even mentioned the OC'ing - definitely no negativity from the presumed NH residents. My wife said a young couple was pointing and whispering a bit in one store (which is rather RUDE I might add), but I didn't notice. Just my guess, but they were probably from MASS or maybe Canada anyway. Since a majority of the vehicles there had plates from MA, NY, RI and Quebec, I expected much worse.

All in all, a non-event as it should be!

Last edited:

MagsH2

Ive OC'd around N.Conway also, at the outlets, Mcdonalds, Zebs, etc. No problems or issues. The few girls at the Under Armor store asked If I was military. My wife said no, that I wasnt, but carried to protect us and liked exerciseing our 2-A rights and they thought that was awesome.

Freiheit417

I didn't go into the Under Armour store, but the women working at the Jockey store were very nice as well. They didn't ask or say anything about my sidearm and received nothing but smiles.

Nothing like shopping for underwear while OC'ing. :lol:

P.S. Thanks for mentioning Zeb's - I'll check them out on my next visit. It looks like they carry lots of different hot sauces in their store, which I love. Does anyone have recommendations on other places to visit in the Portsmouth and N. Conway areas? I'll be visiting again in mid-August and plan to go on the Conway Scenic Railroad Notch Train.

MagsH2

Portsmouth is very liberal, not sure how that would go over, but hey, your in NH!
I havnt OC'd in Portsmouth but have in Kittery ME at the Trading Post.

doobie

Portsmouth is very liberal, not sure how that would go over, but hey, your in NH!
I havnt OC'd in Portsmouth but have in Kittery ME at the Trading Post.

I've OC'd in Portsmouth and never had a problem; granted it was only twice.

Rottieman33

I live in Newmarket and live close to Durham(UNH) and open carry and all over the place and only once have I had a problem. Was in Dick's sporting goods and guy from RI was asking me ? about the open carry law in NH and they lady behind him saw my gun on me and started to freak out. I was at Duncan donuts in Durham and a little boy pointed my gun out to his mother, and she said lets go stand next to him he has a gun and will protect us. It made me smile. I do got a ? i have tried looking for it. can out of state people carry in the open in NH?