• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My favorite gun shop has betrayed me.

skorittnig

Took my boy to my favorite gun shop today- made a comment to an employee behind the counter about their (new) great selection of CCW firearms. Another customer chimed in about "that permit-less system", and "how dangerous it is". To my dissatisfaction, the person behind the counter (who is NOT the owner, and is why I am choosing not to name the store) actually agreed with the other customer.

I told them about the two CCW permit classes I have attended, and how the hands-on portion by no means sent anyone home as a proficient firearms handler who wasn't one upon arrival--rather the inexperienced student should be called "familiar" (at best) after the class.

We were able to set aside our differences and visit (the three of us) afterwards, but I was really surprised- as I have frequented this store for about 6 years now, spent quite a bit of money there, and have I thought I had become familiar enough with the guys there that they know my son, my wife, and myself quite well. Strange. :confused:

technician

Another customer chimed in about "that permit-less system", and "how dangerous it is".

My father and I were recently up at the gun show in Eagle River and heard a LOT of people on the floor talking about how dangerous it was. Seriously? It's funny when you mention Vermont and they stutter about trying to think up a reason why Vermont (or any of the other three states with Constitution Carry) hasn't descended into chaos. They are in denial as much as the liberals, and honestly I feel SB93 would be a slam dunk if it wasn't for them.

Last edited:

MKEgal

technician said:
It's funny when you mention Vermont and they stutter about trying to think up a reason why Vermont (or any of the other three states with Constitution Carry) hasn't descended into chaos.
WI Public Radio has a Fri. afternoon show where people call in to discuss the news of the week. I managed to get in (last caller!) yesterday to talk about CC.

They seemed to agree that we should learn from what's happened in other states, but when I pointed out that VT has never had a permit the guest started talking about how different VT is from WI, the demographics, the population density, yada yada ching ching ching. (Of course they ignored the other 3 CC states. :mad:)

So we need to find cities in the other CC states that are about the same size as Madtown or Killwaukee. No way to match composition of the population, but size should be a good start.

Claytron

are you saying that you are upset that a customer and employee had different opinions then you? Thats just how she goes.

MR Redenck

Oh crap... get use to it.
Just because some moron works in a sporting goods store doesnt make them smart. Way too many idiots out there.

I wanted to stop spending money at the Academy stores simply because of the idiot we got running the my local one. " This guy is a Concealed Carry Elitist douchebag". He thinks everybody needs a license, and nobody should ever show their guns in public!!!
What a joke.
I still shop at Academy, but I dont by firearms or ammo there.
I started buying all my firearms and ammo from Arizona dealers. I get good deals and im happy to spend my money in a Constitutional Carry state.
I also shop at a local small gun shop, their great guy's and I also use them as my FFL.

rcawdor57

Campaign Veteran
One Would Think That A Gun Shop Supports Your Rights....But That Is NOT So!

I can name several that I have purchased from that do NOT want people to carry openly OR concealed. So why do they sell firearms?

$Ka Ching!!$

I can think of only two stores within 50 miles of where I live that DO support people who carry and do want Constitutional Carry.

If Constitutional Carry passes or some version of it and we continue to open carry (I intend to) watch for signs to go up banning the carrying of firearms. It happened in Florida when I lived there (CC was passed) and after a few years all the signs came down. Imagine that.

CalicoJack10

My father and I were recently up at the gun show in Eagle River and heard a LOT of people on the floor talking about how dangerous it was. Seriously? It's funny when you mention Vermont and they stutter about trying to think up a reason why Vermont (or any of the other three states with Constitution Carry) hasn't descended into chaos. They are in denial as much as the liberals, and honestly I feel SB93 would be a slam dunk if it wasn't for them.

I have been making my rounds in the area up here and talking to people that own/work at all of the businesses about this, so I am asking you to PM me the name and address of the place so I can stop in and see what I can find out. I tend to be able to give an interesting perspective as an instructor.

Just because some moron works in a sporting goods store doesnt make them smart. Way too many idiots out there.

Can you say "Gander Mountain"?

technician

I have been making my rounds in the area up here and talking to people that own/work at all of the businesses about this, so I am asking you to PM me the name and address of the place so I can stop in and see what I can find out. I tend to be able to give an interesting perspective as an instructor.

The Eagle River gun show goes for three days over Memorial Day weekend, they've wrapped up and are doubtless other places in the state now. Have you talked to many businesses in the Lakeland area?

CalicoJack10

The Eagle River gun show goes for three days over Memorial Day weekend, they've wrapped up and are doubtless other places in the state now. Have you talked to many businesses in the Lakeland area?

That's what I am focusing on at the moment. I do free training for businesses, and I live in the Minocqua/Woodruff/Arbor Vitae area. So that has been a majority of what I have been focusing on. I am the guy that got AmericInn of Minocqua to be the only firearms friendly hotel in the area so far. Like I said, if you PM me information on a business in the area (including eagle river) that needs some guidance, I will hit them up.

safcrkr

That's what I am focusing on at the moment. I do free training for businesses, and I live in the Minocqua/Woodruff/Arbor Vitae area. So that has been a majority of what I have been focusing on. I am the guy that got AmericInn of Minocqua to be the only firearms friendly hotel in the area so far. Like I said, if you PM me information on a business in the area (including eagle river) that needs some guidance, I will hit them up.

I'll give you a good place to "educate" in Vilas County... the Vilas County govt. Check out these links.

Chapter 9, section 24 of the county code. http://www.co.vilas.wi.us/ordinance/chap09.pdf

Then compare that to state statute 66.0409(2) and 66.0409(4)(b). http://legis.wisconsin.gov/statutes/Stat0066.pdf

I guarentee you'll get the same "deer in the headlights" stare that I got when I asked the county attorney about why it's still on the books after becoming unenforcible in Nov. 1995!!

KBCraig

..but when I pointed out that VT has never had a permit the guest started talking about how different VT is from WI, the demographics, the population density, yada yada ching ching ching. (Of course they ignored the other 3 CC states. :mad:)
Yes, surely the difference between being 98% white, versus only 92% white, means the state will plunge into shootouts at every corner.