Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calico Jack has Class

Calico Jack has Class

Today, under the sunny skies in Vilas Co, the Intro to Defensive Shooting premiered. Needless to say it was a great experience. We/I picked up some great skills and knowledge, and learned about the right "moves". And, we had a blast too. Even our breaks were shooting/gun/training orientated.

And what does this have to do with open carry? Hey, if you're going to carry a gun for self defense, take advantage of all the learning opportunities out there that you can.

Thanks for the kind words. Hopefully I will be able to do LOTS of free classes in the near future. I am just wondering if you are saying I have class, or I had a class. Because if you are saying I have class we really need to talk. lol

Seriously though. It was great watching the expressions on everyones faces as I broke the "Standard of Training" and brought it back to what really works for everyone. I think it is great to watch the training that has been drilled into people by less experienced instructors. I could definately see the questions in everyones faces when we started, but it was nice to see by the end of the day everyone was more confident, and a much more relaxed and proficient shooter.

Kudos to you guys, it was definitely one of the best courses I have ever had the chance to teach. I am looking forward to getting into another course with you guys in the future.
    I am Calico Jack,,,, And I approve this message!
    (Paid for by the blood of patriots, and Calico Jack Defense)
    Calico Jack Defense

Quote Originally Posted by CalicoJack10 View Post
    I am just wondering if you are saying I have class, or I had a class. Because if you are saying I have class we really need to talk.
    I chose my words carefully. Not or, but and.

Thanks for the experience

I really need to get up there. I want to learn as much as possible. Too bad you are not in SE WI Calico Jack, then I could take more classes more quickly.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Yep, good time had by all...except for the poor target stand...it had a rather rough day<g>

Learned a ton of useful, easy to retain, information. Class portion was unique to my experience...was more of a round table experience; talk about one issue - ask questions about that topic, when everyone's questions were answered move on to the next topic...very easy to remember new information when you can actually discuss it while it's fresh in the brain. As Phred said, even our breaks were still fairly on topic, continuing the conversation we had started before we took our break.

A *lot* of new drills that work well individually, but, can be combined to make something truly unexpected for the "Why the hell won't this guy stand still so I can shoot him?" crowd, in quite a few different situations. A lot of new skills to hone (thank heavens I can just walk out into my back yard to practice this stuff!).

As a person who comes from a predominantly hunting background, it was a real eye opener and required a serious mental shift (Dammit! I forgot to cover the target after I was done engaging! <sigh> Say it with me...).

8+ hours of class/range time (more range than class), 130 (or so) rounds of pistol ammo used. I didn't come out a master marksman, I came out of this with more confidence in my abilities, a better understanding of what *I* need to work on, when/how to use my firearm in a SD situation, and probably most importantly: what will happen after the fact.

Excellent experience with some great people (and food...can't forget the food, gets better every time I go there...Ma said "Thank you" for the cobbler).

Off to shower/bed before I pass out at the keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by phred View Post
    I chose my words carefully. Not or, but and.

Thanks for the experience
    No No No, thank you, it was a great experience for me as a friend and instructor too.

Quote Originally Posted by protias View Post
    I really need to get up there. I want to learn as much as possible. Too bad you are not in SE WI Calico Jack, then I could take more classes more quickly.
    I have been kicking around a way for me to get down there and do a 2 day class (Saturday and Sunday) some time this summer. I will let you know when I get it ironed out.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf1477 View Post
    8+ hours of class/range time (more range than class), 130 (or so) rounds of pistol ammo used. I didn't come out a master marksman, I came out of this with more confidence in my abilities, a better understanding of what *I* need to work on, when/how to use my firearm in a SD situation, and probably most importantly: what will happen after the fact.
    And don't forget that we let my Fiance's M4 talk you into getting an "Evil Black Rifle"

Just an after thought, the M4 really is an evil rifle. Once you have shot one you want to own one, and then you want to keep shooting it more and more. And that can put you in the poor house. I would say that is pretty evil.
    Calico Jack Defense

LoL ahh yes the evil black rifle...thing is frikkin' sweet, and will definitely be my next firearm purchase, and reloading die purchase...otherwise I really will be in the poor house.

The next time you offer a class let me know. I will try to attend.
    What part of "shall not be infringed" don't you understand?

Calicojack said...

I have been kicking around a way for me to get down there and do a 2 day class (Saturday and Sunday) some time this summer. I will let you know when I get it ironed out.
    My post cut and pasted from the Calicojack thank you thread..

CalicoJack10... I have been thinking about this for a while now... If you (and yours) are ever able to "get away" on "vacation" (you and yours) are welcome in my home anytime for as long as you are able to stay. I am single and work full time 1st shift so you would literally have the plase to yourself(s) 90% of the time.

I live in (on) Sliver Lake, WI in Kenosha county. This is close to the Starbucks in Delavan and real close to Lizzy's Green Cafe both of which have excellent meets regularly. Also, if you happen fo be a fisherman, I can offer you some great fishing as well as the use of my boat to acees the water. I am also a member of a sportmans club within 3 miles of my house that offers trap, archery, and pistol shooting ranges.

Perhaps you could combine a "vacation" with some of your classes for us "southern folks". I am sure I could arrange the use of the club for any classes... And I am also confident that anyone around here would be happy to pay for your instruction...

Just an offer of appreciation for all you do and have done (military service) as well as a bit of "selfishness" to be able to "take advantage" of your knowledge and willingmess to help others.

Recent family commitments (taking care of elderly aunt) prohibit me from traveling far for extended periods of time or else I would have already been in your area for your classes...

Outdoorsman1
    "On the Plains of Hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the Dawn of Victory, sat down to wait - and waiting, died."

George Cecil (18911970) American advertising copywriter

Outdoorsman1
    Member: Wisconsin Carry Inc.
    Member: Silver Lake Sportsmans Club
    Wisconsin C.C.W. License Holder
    Utah State Permit Holder.
    Arizona State Permit Holder.

Quote Originally Posted by Outdoorsman1 View Post
    Calicojack said...

My post cut and pasted from the Calicojack thank you thread..
    That is what got me thinking hard about what I need to do to get a course together down there.
    Calico Jack Defense

Regular Member oliverclotheshoff's Avatar
    calico jack if you happen to get a course down in our neck of the woods i know for a fact i will be there depending on prior engagements
    SCOTT

"When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns"

"When seconds count police are minutes away"

"Dialing 911 only takes seconds but waiting for help may take the rest of your life"

http://g2-elite.com/phpbb/index.php Shed Hunting

I would also be interested in classes in southern Wisconsin.

Obvioulsy put my name on the list for a course as well...

Outdoorsman1
    Last edited by Outdoorsman1; 06-06-2011 at 10:03 AM.
    "On the Plains of Hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the Dawn of Victory, sat down to wait - and waiting, died."

Outdoorsman1

I am sure that I don't have to say this, but I have to say it anyway. When I do a class down in that area, I can't do it totally for free. I will keep the cost as low as possible, but I need to be able to afford to at least get there and back and get the materials for the course, and insurance (it is really not that expensive) and of course the incidentals. I will figure out what it would cost me to do the course down there and list a price that is the total amount I need, then I will devide that up between everyone. So if it were to cost me $150 and there was 30 people there, they would only have to pay $5 each. Get what I mean? (That was just an example by the way.)
    Calico Jack Defense

If you were able to get a class down here I would love to attend and would be MORE than willing to chip in some money to help offset costs of travel/lodging. Got some things going on with my parents so I may be back and forth to Door Co. for awhile so hopefully I can make it on the weekend you schedule.
    Wisconsin Carry Member
    My Castle Doctrine Law

Don't wish ill upon your enemy......plan it.

Hopefully we got lodging covered... but if my location is not sutible for maximun attendence then the lodging costs should not be a problem as I said before, I am confident that anyone interested in this possible opportunity would be willing to "cover costs"....

Outdoorsman1
    Last edited by Outdoorsman1; 06-06-2011 at 11:19 AM.

Outdoorsman1

Quote Originally Posted by Outdoorsman1 View Post
    Hopefully we got lodging covered... but if my location is not sutible for maximun attendence then the lodging costs should not be a problem as I said before, I am confident that anyone interested in this possible opportunity would be willing to "cover costs"....

Outdoorsman1
    Can you get me info on a range down there so that I can contact them and see what they say. Even that club that you are a part of would work if you want to talk to them so that I can start looking at setting up a date.
    Calico Jack Defense

Can you get me info on a range down there so that I can contact them and see what they say. Even that club that you are a part of would work if you want to talk to them so that I can start looking at setting up a date.
    I am on it.. will let you know ASAP...

Outdoorsman1

Outdoorsman1

I just want everyone to know that the M4 build that I have been working so hard on finally has a trigger and it really does have the recoil of a .22
    Calico Jack Defense

I just want everyone to know that the M4 build that I have been working so hard on finally has a trigger and it really does have the recoil of a .22
    <sigh>

LoL guess I have another reason to head back to Minocqua soon. Hell, I thought the one you let me shoot had the recoil of a .22, just this time I want to be able to use the sights<g>

This lower has taken the same upper from that rifle and reduced the recoil to the point where it is nearly 80% less. I was able to shoot the rock at 120 meters almost half as fast as I rattled off that 18 rounds at close range. I know you remember how fast that 18 went off. lol

I was so ecstatic that I am pretty sure 2 drops of pee came out.
    Calico Jack Defense

Missing out

I think the forum is really missing out on a great trip to Vilas county! A Friday class could be followed by a fish fry at Sisters Saloon or pizza and wings at Sayner pub. Few things are better than waking up in that area!
    -Fred

ROFL Nice! I've sooo gotta get one of those one of these days. The only thing that worries me, I could empty the mag on that thing faster than I can on my .22 semi auto rifle...and the M4 holds more rounds...I'd melt the barrel down to slag in an afternoon<g>

I would love to do a really in depth 2 day course. 1/2 a day in "Class" and a full day of drills. But I definitely can't afford to do that for free. The insurance alone would kick my butt.

Wolf, if you want to come up with some .223, we can hit the range and I can show you how sweet it is.

And yes, Vilas County is a great place to spend a weekend.
    Calico Jack Defense

Calico, keep me in the "loop" for ANY class you are offering, SE or NE WI. Even though I would qualify under the Military exception, like I said in a PM to you, the skills and tactics I have been taught are perishable and invaluable!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast