• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New SKS magazine system

Michigander

Got inspired to post this by the AR vs AK dead horse beat-a-thon going on in the other forum. (THIS IS NOT INTENDED TO DISCUSS LONG GUN CARRY, SO PLEASE NO ONE BRING IT UP)

Despite its draw backs, I believe the SKS is in many ways a nicer gun than either the AR or AK. It's stronger than either, just as reliable as the AK under adverse conditions, and more accurate than the AK generally. The problem has long been reliable magazines which hold at least 20 rounds. Tapco addressed this with their reliable yet bulky 20 round duckbill magazines. A couple years ago, some guys on SKS boards figured out then could modify them to be shaped more like AK magazines, and install a fixture to rock them into place like an AK. One of these guys, a man named Marcus who lives in Texas, had a bunch of adapters machined and has them for sale. They are known as the "Marcus magazine adapter". I won't post a link due to forum rules, but it can easily be googled if anyone cares.

Still not satisfied with AK like magazine performance, Marcus set out to make the mag changes happen with a straight in and out/drop free system. And now he's done it, and is in the final stages of getting it ready for market.

http://www.youtube.com/user/1mlt#p/a/u/0/1bKcr6zuIIM

This video shows it in action at 1:50 and 2:44.

For possible use as a homeland defense rifle, or just for fun, this system will offer a performance advantage over AK's, and a definite cost advantage over AR's.

Thought I'd post this since I can't be the only person on here who likes SKS's.

MR Redenck

I have a few Yugo's myself. I even found Beta Mag makes a 100 round drum for them. By converting to the AK mag, the Beta Mag will fit.

Michigander

I have a few Yugo's myself. I even found Beta Mag makes a 100 round drum for them. By converting to the AK mag, the Beta Mag will fit.

There is NO easy way to do an AK magazine conversion unless you are a very good and well equipped machinist, because the SKS magazine well is too small to fit the magazine.

Midwest Ordinance and Norinco made SKS's that could take AK magazines, and a very small handfull of people have done a conversion themselves, which by the way is questionably legal due to federal law. A conversion on an existing gun is incredibly unrealistic, and even if you do manage to get one done it won't cycle magazines in and out anywhere near as fast as this adapter. The AK magazine SKS's are well known for being incredibly difficult to seat the magazines. That is why this product should be so nice.

j4l

seems an interesting sollution..need to see it on a fully-assembled rifle,in action though.. looks as tho that release protrusion could be easily bumped or knocked and dropping the mag at a bad moment though..

zoom6zoom

I've got a stack of SKS's and haven't found any aftermarket system to be better than the stripper clips. They are faster to load with than swapping a removable mag, more reliable, easier to carry a whole bunch, and I don't have to deal with empty mags.

And of course, it's easier to fire from a prone position with the factory magazine.

Last edited:

Michigander

seems an interesting sollution..need to see it on a fully-assembled rifle,in action though.. looks as tho that release protrusion could be easily bumped or knocked and dropping the mag at a bad moment though..

I would actually think it goes far enough into the stock where it shouldn't be a problem. And if it does stick out too far, it would be possible to trim it down very easily.

I've got a stack of SKS's and haven't found any aftermarket system to be better than the stripper clips. They are faster to load with than swapping a removable mag, more reliable, easier to carry a whole bunch, and I don't have to deal with empty mags.

And of course, it's easier to fire from a prone position with the factory magazine.

Cheaper yes, more reliable and faster, no. The Tapco magazines are as reliable as the originals, and they are definitely easier to reload with marcus's current system, nevermind this new one.

My understanding is that Siminov actually wanted detachable magazines from the start, and the Russian military insisted on stripper clip feeding. Personally, I got rid of my first SKS because it was before Tapco magazines were available, and I thought the 11 round capacity was extremely lame. I've met many other people who did exactly the same thing. If you are into the poor man's Garand theme, that's cool, but plenty of people aren't.

Last edited:

slowfiveoh

My pops still has the SKS I cut my teeth on as an 8 year old kid. I kind of like them to be honest, and any time you bring up an increase in magazine capacity with an already enjoyable firearm that you don't have to ruck, inevitably you are talking about a much better time.

I like the ease of installation of this kit, but really wish they found a way to utilize standard AK mags. The videos on the other forum where these guys posted is very informative.

Michigander

My pops still has the SKS I cut my teeth on as an 8 year old kid. I kind of like them to be honest, and any time you bring up an increase in magazine capacity with an already enjoyable firearm that you don't have to ruck, inevitably you are talking about a much better time.

I like the ease of installation of this kit, but really wish they found a way to utilize standard AK mags. The videos on the other forum where these guys posted is very informative.

Like I said, the only way is with significant machining, or buying a SKS D, M, MC5D, or a rare Midwest conversion.

One guy who posted on SKS boards a while back figured out a way to make them fit with significant machining of the magazine itself. And even then, you're left with the problem of slow loading. Plus the intergrity of the magazine I suppose would be compromised some.

It would definitely be possible to take standard AK magazines, chop the top off, then install a metal feed tower, say, with the same shape as one of the duckbill-less Tapco. This is something a machinist of decent skill should be able to accomplish. Same thing could be done with drum magazines for that matter.

What I'd really like to see would be a system where calibers could be converted to .223 and 5.45 with quick change barrels, as well as to sub calibers. The ability to use AR15/M16 magazines, now that would be cool. This is unrealistic since it would require extreme modifications and many thousands of dollars worth of engineering, but the end result would be a gun I'd want much more than an AR for almost any application.